Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Metal lunchboxes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:36 pm
I'm thinking as a random "I love you" gift for my friend I'll get one of those blank metal lunchboxes from the craft store and fill it with little things that mean something to us. Thing is, I'm wondering what I'm going to do to cover the lunchbox. We're both huge into Ninja Turtles so I'd love to cover it in TMNT pics but how am I going to keep them from peeling up?

Thoughts! I need thoughts! heart  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:48 pm
Hmm... I dunno. Personally i'd go down to the grocery store or the local target or something of that nature and see if they have a TMNT lunchbox pre-made. Sometimes little shortcuts are nice, esspcially if you can't think of anything....

Mod-podge might work, i haven't tried it on metal yet.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

jbeth

Thirteenth Streaker

16,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm
I'd either try a xyron machine (which can be expensive but if you want to make lots of stickers, that'd be the way to go) or double sided sticky paper. the xyron is great for things with irregular borders, the sticky paper is fun and way less expensive. and it'll hold those fun little micro beads. provo craft makes the sticky paper and the fun double sided sticky tape that I love. biggrin

mod podge won't work on metal. it'll flake and scratch off.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:28 pm
I think you should head to your local craft store.
or see if you can get mutant ninja turtle contact paper, or now that I think about it why don't you just cover it in clear contact when you are done to keep it stuck  

I be me
Vice Captain

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:31 am
As far as finding a TMNT metal lunchbox premade I'd love it if I could but I'm yet to find one. I have a small collection of metal lunchboxes so trust me if I could find one I'd already have it. *L*

Just covering it in clear contact paper afterwards sounds like a good idea. I'm still open to suggestions of course, I haven't started on this yet. I'm working up lots of little ideas in my head. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:08 am
I don't remember what it is called but I know there is this clear liquid stuff for projects like this where you put the picture on the lunchbox (a lampshade and a lunchbox was used when I saw this) and just brush a layer over it. It was on one of those craft shows early in the morning and I saw it a while ago. I'd say go to a craft store and ask about it. Sorry that I can't help out more.  

Majel

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200

Rum N Coke

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:20 pm
puzzle paint and seran wrap XD. I used it to make a photo album for my mother. She loves butterflies and here in seattle they actually have a butterfly exibit. So i went and took a buncha pictures and had then printed out from my computer. I then cut em all out and used the puzzle glue to stick them to the folder and when i was done i gave it a smooth light coat of the puzzle paint again and wrapped it in seran wrap.

It also looked cool cause I did a little crumpling with the seran wrap ^_^ it was awsome.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:12 am
Possibly an acrylic spray or some sort of surface coating would definatly hold any stickres or images down. Though an acrylic spray would be easiest to find I would sugggest seing if you could find a nice brush on resin instead (so it won't smell like spray paint) Craft stores or larger art stores like pearl might really be able to help you out. oh yeah if you do find brush ons that you like stay away from any kind of urithane cause that will smell bad too!  

JoshuarGoWooosh

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff