[Bonfire PRP] A Merry Tune [Merry, Quell][Fin]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:51 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Quell had been grinning all night. So many lovely does and bucks, and so little time to get to know them all! The devil-may-care kimeti had been exceedingly pleased to socialize all evening; he'd scored many a kiss under many a bower, and had all the food and drink he could want. Truly this was the swamp's bounty laid forth before him; the gregarious scoundrel was certainly in his element. So when there was a call for a song, he of course took the stage- how could he not? He had the perfect song, as well- it was a boast song, one of the great old participation pieces. The idea was that somebody else would sing after him and try to top his lyrics with their own; it was a tale of accomplishments, none of them real or even possible. All in good fun, was the braggart's ballad. His voice was quite clear and middling in tone; nothing too reedy or too rumbly. Clearing his throat, he stood tall and puffed out his chest.

"'Twas never a scoundrel born in the spring
Who's outpaced myself at any one thing!
I can outfox a rox, catch swans a-wing;
Now sit yourselves down there to hear me sing!

I'm quicker than fire, I'm lighter than air,
I've wrestled the moon, I've eaten a bear.
You cannot find me, I'm here and I'm there,
I gaze at the sun and it melts in my stare.

I dance like a snake, I sting like a bee,
I'm tall as a mountain, I'm broad as a tree
Though I'm a skilled braggart, now let us see
Is anyone out there better than me?"

He smiled broadly and extended a hoof to the audience, inviting the next braggart to come up and sing their part.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:46 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Merry had joined in the revelry for not only reveling (reveling for reveling's own sake was a grand thing), but also to keep an eye on her mother. It seemed the fair doe had her a plenty of opportunities, ducking off this way and that to partake in games and hunts with her ladylove and the little ones they'd collected. T'was an amusing sight indeed, and the intoxicating feeling of two kin in love had Merry as the Day is Long over the moon. It was in this euphoria that she weaved her way through the crowd, towards the song she head from one of the stages. She kept her light eyes upon him, a smile affixed to her features.

His song was good, and Merry offered a thunderous applause of hooves in response to his verse. But oh! Joyous day, what even better turn of events! He was challenging someone to sing against him! Not even batting an eyelash, Merry as the Day is Long pulled herself up above the crowd, and retorted.

"You're strong and you're fast, I'll bet it's true,
But I'll wager our crowd favors me over you.
I boast not of strength, I boast not of size,
For I find tests of muscle and fighting unwise.

Instead I'll tell you of kin whom I've seen,
of all the different roles that I've been.
I've been a mother, a sister, a friend,
I've been the mercy that brings them to end.

I've sung with the lark and I've nurtured the weak,
I've crushed bugs and worms for a little bird's beak.
The sun's much too bold, the moon is subdued
Like her, by soft light are more our kind wooed.

If you're broad as a tree, I'm small as a bird,
Whilst you ignore wood, my song's always heard.
Again I'll claim that I'm this crowd's favor,
Just try to make my confidence waver."

Merry flicked her tail when she finished, punctuating the point with a flourish of a dance move. Perhaps she was too bold, but the draw of the contest was more than she could resist. Besides- it would be FUN to see if the buck would meet the challenge, or scamper away since someone had met his call.

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:00 pm
A challenger appeared! And oh, how lovely she was. He could tell just from the way she carried herself that she was a real spitfire; a spirited lady with an indomitable core. He loved meeting kin with that twinkle in their eyes and that fire in their cores; and to top it off, she had a lovely voice indeed.

"Madam you wound me, for it's no contest
At least in fairness, you come out the best
Pretty of color and charming of face,
Winning hearts with your elegance and grace!"

He staggered backwards dramatically, as if repelled by her beauty, then dramatically swept his head backwards in an "Oh-whatever-will-I-do-now" moment of feigned heartsickness- then planted a hoof firmly on the ground, once again determined.

"You belittle my wood, sweet little bird,
But tweeting is not what this crowd has heard!
I am a rooster, the c**k of the walk,
Through volume alone, they will hear me squawk!
I'm making them laugh, I'm making them sigh-
My brash bragging way brings a tear to their eye!

I'll take that bet, I'll meet you so to speak,
Let's hear the sound coming out of your beak.
Let's make them remember for unending hours,
The best braggart's the one who is louder!"

He winked broadly at her; half the fun of the braggart's ballad was playing with and off of your partner. She seemed to have a good grasp on that- truly a charming and lovely creature she was!.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:27 pm
Merry watched the buck's theatrics with great amusement- oh, he was an actor, then! This she would love very much. It was like the games of singing she played with her mother and siblings, but this time, the competitor had a bravado she'd not experienced before. Her lips tilted up in a smile as she listened- and Merry appropriately rolled her eyes at his over the top theatrics- as the buck continued his song.

"You brag of volume and brag of size,
but it's plain before the audience's eyes-
the true test of poetry isn't your will,
but rather, the measure of talent and skill.

The lark is not loud,
the songbird not proud,
yet these draw the love of many a crowd!

It's not in their size,
their song is the prize,
and none of these birds is too loud.

You're far too rambunctious,
I don't find it scrumptious.
You're glad to be loud,
I think you're too proud!
You're woo'd, is what I believe you behest.
But I'll tell you, the lady is not impressed."

She returned to his wink a flutter of her eyelashes. Clearly, despite the cutting edge of her words, she was enthralled. The smile on her features was too real for the venom in her song to mean much. Honestly, this was just too entertaining. While she had come to the bonfire hoping to celebrate, she had not expected to find a buck to court. Hopefully, he understood the deeper nature of this dance they played at. Otherwise... well. It would be rather a challenge to find TWO bucks who lived up to her wordplay standards.

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:41 pm
He fronted and flexed to the audience as all knew he had been bested. "Fair lady!" he cried. "You wound me! 'Tis all too much for one fellow to handle! Alas and alack, I am beat!" He leaped from the stage to the thunder of the crowd's applause, taking his bows out amongst them and basking in the laughter. Quell loved the attention; entertaining like this was downright fun. He looked back up at the stage and beckoned with his head for her to come down and take in the crowd's love and admiration. This was the best part, really- knowing that you'd brought a smile to everybody around. With just a little work, you could do something that really brought a lot of joy to the hearts of strangers. They didn't even have to know you to love you, and in a way, you were sharing love with them as well. Singing and entertaining brought kin together on so many levels; a superficial level, yes, for this crowd- but he hoped that he could perhaps connect with his on-stage rival a bit further. He at least needed to know her name- she was a lovely and fascinating doe. She wasn't just pretty, but she was sharp and quick-witted as well; kin like that were always so wonderful to get to know- and oh, there she was! He sidled over to her, smiling widely.

"I say, that was quite good up there! You're a talented singer, miss. Good voice and good words- your improvisational style's wonderful. It'd be remiss of me if I didn't at least get your name. I'm Quell; might I have the pleasure of knowing who you are?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:47 pm
Genuine laughter burst forth from Merry as the Day is Long at the buck's admittance of defeat, and she struck a victorious pose on the stage, head thrown back in absolute delight. It had been a wondrous decision to join him in song! What absolute fun! At his beckoning, Merry took a delicate and graceful hop into the crowd, nodding and curtseying at the applause from those around her. Singing at home was such a quiet, relaxed affair. While they applauded each other's wordplay and cleverness, it was never quite this grand of a response. They were, after all, only a single family. All of these kin, gathered together in merriment... well, it swelled Merry's heart with joy. Merriment was, after all, her purpose in this world.

The stranger caught her on the other side of the crowd, and Merry blushed to herself at the compliment. Quell was his name, then. She offered him a curtsey as well, still smiling from ear to ear.

"Merry as the Day is Long is what I am called, but thou may simply call me Merry. The full name tends to be a bit much off the tongue," she joked, falling in stride with him as they walked away.

"For all of mine insults, truly, you were a lovely partner to play against. As clever as you are handsome, which is a pair rarely seen! More than just parties, I'd wager you rather popular with the ladyfolk."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:55 pm
"What a lovely name, Miss Merry! Such connotations, such inflections. I wager you could work it into so many nice turns of phrase- and it's good for rhymes, too. And of course, of course- I know full well your insults were in jest. That's how braggart's ballads work- and so much of stagecraft, really. You emphasize your positives and accentuate and exaggerate any of your rival's negatives in a silly way- nobody responds well to real jabs in jest, but to silly things? Well, you saw the smiles on their faces. There's nothing quite like that, is there? Seeing somebody's reaction and knowing that you did that, that you were able to do that for them- it's a kind of magic, isn't it?" Was he glowing? Perhaps a little- or maybe it was a blush. "I have my moments, I'll admit- I can be reliable with the ladies. But you must have all manner of bucks falling at your hooves; romantic advances from such a fine face and magnificent mind must simply slay them." Ah yes. Flirting. He knew this game and loved the playing of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:03 am
"Both my parents fashion themselves poets- it's no wonder the Motherfather blessed me with such a silvery name." Merry agreed, pleased to have someone so taken with her title. Really, all of her siblings were eloquently name- fortune had smiled upon their clutch and made the lot of them wordsmiths. It made for a rather interesting family dynamic, that. Still, she was glad someone beyond her bloodties understood how the game of the stage work. Merry nodded in delightful agreement, the light dancing in her eyes.

" 'Tis why I'm here, making others happy. I'm most certain of it," She added to his own delighted view on entertaining. "I like to think the stories we tell and songs we sing have us live on so long as other mouths tell and sing them. In that way, the joy you wouldst give unto others makes you live for others.

At what a mankiller she must've been, Merry had the decency to smily coyly at Quell. Her escapades were neither here nor there, but...

"I've entertained a few suitors, you might say. But I don't find them entertaining my thoughts tonight," She crooned.

"Perhaps you'd be so kind as to accompany me down to the waterside grove? I would love to get to know you more."

So Long Gay Bowser

Blessing Devotee

Scaramouche Fandango

Big Wife

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:05 am
SCORE. "Indeed, I confess I would like to get to know you more myself. After you, Miss Merry; step lightly, for the way is dark and the future uncertain- but fun, though, that is a certainty."

Roleplaying

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games