Welcome to Gaia! ::

The United Nations of Gaia v2

Back to Guilds

Promoting and exploring multiculturalism on Gaia. 

Tags: united, nations, gaia, international 

Reply Travel & Culture - 4 threads
Stamps & Coins

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:48 pm
A place to talk about stamp and coin collecting, show off your collection and maybe trade. heart

Colnect is a great resource to help manage your collections and identify what you own. It's still a work in progress though and depends on user updates so it isn't perfect.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:10 pm
Australia
User Image

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:17 pm
Canada
User ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:19 pm
United States
User ImageUser Image

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm
Hungary
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:24 am
herd u like stamps

I don't collect them myself but I collect them for my mother, who lives in the US. When I write her letters and send her thinking-of-you packages, I send them to her. These are some of the stamp collections I've purchased, mostly from this guy who sells them in the Sunday flea market.

Two stamps, one of the Mosque of Cordoba and one of the Balearic Islands. Later I found out that the Balearic Islands one is a detail from the Juan de la Cosa map, the oldest map to show Europe and America. (In the bottom right corner is an old Spanish peseta, the currency before they switched to euros.)

Commemorating the statutes of autonomy of the regions of Spain in the post-Franco period, part one

part two

I'll post more when I have time this evening.  

Alphagirl

Ace of Hearts

20,075 Points
  • Mid-Rank Major 50
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Partygoer 500

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 am
Alphagirl
Two stamps, one of the Mosque of Cordoba and one of the Balearic Islands. Later I found out that the Balearic Islands one is a detail from the Juan de la Cosa map, the oldest map to show Europe and America. (In the bottom right corner is an old Spanish peseta, the currency before they switched to euros.)
That's a first day issue. I have a couple of those. I'll post them later today.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:20 am
Cool, I didn't know those were first-day issue stamps. Although I guess my mother probably did.

Continuing:

Commemorating Jewish history of Spain. These are synagogues and notable people in Spanish history, mostly during the period of Muslim domination of the peninsula. I bought this for Chanukah this year and gave it to my best friend, who is Jewish.

This next one is one of my favorites, as it overlaps my mother's love of stamps with my love for pins. There is a museum in the community of Madrid (far out in the countryside) called the Fresnedillas Lunar Museum. There is actually a NASA station around there, called the Madrid Deep Space Communications Complex. (There's three in total around the world. This one in Spain, one in California, and the other in Australia.)

I've hiked to NASA before, but the lunar museum is in the municipality right next door, where the station used to be back in the 60s, The museum hosts hundreds of authentic space mission artifacts, from real space suits to tools used in space to flags that astronauts took up into orbit with them, and this: stamps that celebrate American space exploration, in commemorative pin form.  

Alphagirl

Ace of Hearts

20,075 Points
  • Mid-Rank Major 50
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Partygoer 500

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 am
The 2 first day issues that I have. One from the UN in 1961, the other from Canada in 1975.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:37 pm
Aozora ~Blue Sky~
The 2 first day issues that I have. One from the UN in 1961, the other from Canada in 1975.

Neato!

What's the appeal of first-day issue stamps, though? Not being a collector, I don't really understand what makes first day stamps so much more important than, say, second-day issue stamps.  

Alphagirl

Ace of Hearts

20,075 Points
  • Mid-Rank Major 50
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Partygoer 500

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:49 pm
Alphagirl
Aozora ~Blue Sky~

Neato!

What's the appeal of first-day issue stamps, though? Not being a collector, I don't really understand what makes first day stamps so much more important than, say, second-day issue stamps.
The envelopes they come on are made specifically for the stamp, as is the postmark. Second-day issue stamps are just regular stamps from the post office. The special envelope, special post mark and limited print run make them that much more collectable than regular stamps.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm
Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Alphagirl
Aozora ~Blue Sky~

Neato!
The envelopes they come on are made specifically for the stamp, as is the postmark. Second-day issue stamps are just regular stamps from the post office. The special envelope, special post mark and limited print run make them that much more collectable than regular stamps.

Ah, so it's specifically a collector appeal thing. Got it. So, you wouldn't use them to actually send a letter, is what I'm getting.  

Alphagirl

Ace of Hearts

20,075 Points
  • Mid-Rank Major 50
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Partygoer 500

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:11 pm
Alphagirl
Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Alphagirl
Aozora ~Blue Sky~

Neato!

Ah, so it's specifically a collector appeal thing. Got it. So, you wouldn't use them to actually send a letter, is what I'm getting.
Nope. These envelopes are for collecting.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:30 am
Ugh, I'll have to belay that offer to post more stamp photos. My landlady cut me off from the wifi and this is the first time I've been able to post on Gaia all week. I'll keep it in mind for whenever I get another chance, though.  

Alphagirl

Ace of Hearts

20,075 Points
  • Mid-Rank Major 50
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Partygoer 500

Aozora ~Blue Sky~
Captain

Girl-Crazy Tycoon

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:03 am
Alphagirl
Ugh, I'll have to belay that offer to post more stamp photos. My landlady cut me off from the wifi and this is the first time I've been able to post on Gaia all week. I'll keep it in mind for whenever I get another chance, though.
I was wondering where you went. xd  
Travel & Culture - 4 threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff