Love Like You had been through this, once. A lovely clutch with a lovely buck who she saw then and there, when the time was right. She was laden with children once more, and smiled fondly to herself. More young. At her age. Wasn’t it a funny thing? Her eyes were closed and she hummed to herself, waiting.

--

The spirit called to her, and so did she answer. Roses in Bloom sped through the swamp on delicate wings, bobbing and weaving beneath the leaves of the trees. She spun through the branches, a song in her heart as she did. There was another soul to bless, another mother to give life to. What a wondrous thing this was, to live this life. Even if she was worn, it was freeing.

Wings turned to legs and Roses in Bloom stepped to the earth, seeking out the doe who she felt.

“I haven’t heard that song in some time,” Roses greeted.

“Hello, mother. You’re with young?”

--

“Not the buck who fathered you, but another. A rather handsome one, I might add.” Love Like You did not get up, nor did she move- she opened her eyes and gazed upon her daughter, changed by the swamp. Taller, now, than she’d even been as an awkward filly. It suited her.

“I didn’t expect you to be who the swamp sent me.”

--

“I can’t say I expected you, either,” Roses responded easily, sitting before her mother. It wasn’t an expression of fondness, or motherly love that she so easily offered to the kin she met. There was some contention, some confusion. A lack of understanding. Her mother, with more children. She was to have siblings.

“Congratulations, nonetheless.” Roses continued, tilting her head to the side. “I… suppose a blessing is in order now. The good thing is I needn’t ask your name or story, since I know it so well.”

--

“Not all of it,” Love Like You countered, a lilt in her voice. Look at her daughter now- flourished, beautiful. Truly beyond the silly filly she had been. Unafraid to argue with her. Finally standing up for herself. Perhaps Love Like You was not the most nurturing mother, but she had always loved her foals, just as she would love these. She had just… pushed Roses in Bloom. Perhaps a bit much, in retrospect. But apologies would not change the past.

“There are things you don’t know. Things I would beg you never know.”

--

“I see,” Roses replied, although she didn’t. Not this time. Perhaps she was blind when it came to her mother.

“May your children know love and kindness. May they be as lovely and fair as you ever were, and as soft and gentle as I am. That is my wish for them.”

She stepped forward, not as certain as she were now, and nuzzled the older doe.

“Be well, mother. Perhaps age will make you softer, with them. I love you.”

--

“And I love you,” Love Like You replied, raising her head to nuzzle her daughter in kind. So many mistakes, so much history between them.

Perhaps this time, things would be different.

Moonstone Dazzle
This is a self bless because I''m a freak