Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why is it that

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Subject to Availability]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:58 pm
Preteen christians who believe there's no such thing as the reproductive system and says god magics such cells out of thin air are aloud to keep living outside of mental care?

*has PMs to back this up*

-Matt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 pm
Because their parents keep them on a lifeline.  

Logi Physic

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:39 pm
It's very hard to argue that a reproductive system doesn't exist, and obviously their parents know one exists. So do their parents tell them one doesn't or do they just not tell the kids anything at all?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:57 pm
Dude Im a preteen, and what kind of idiot doesnt believe in the reprodctive system. Come on 7 year olds know what the repoductive system looks liek and how it functions.  

Taylr752

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:21 pm
There are a few factors that you might want to add into this.

First off, are these preteens homeschooled? If they are, then their parents can teach them whatever they want and they will believe them. These children have nothing to challenge what their parents tell them, and they have no reason to question them.

Secondly, how many friends do these children have? If they are in a sheltered environment where they have no one, then why would they question what their parents tell them?

It all ties into one thing, what lengths have the parents gone to to make sure that their children will have NO reason to question them?

Those are just a few things that I would ask these children. I learned about reproductive systems in the 4th grade in my public school. Yet, children who are sheltered in home school may never learn about them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:52 am
LinkinPark7
Dude Im a preteen, and what kind of idiot doesnt believe in the reprodctive system. Come on 7 year olds know what the repoductive system looks liek and how it functions.

I didn't when I was 7. I lived in a pretty sheltered conservative community. I was suspicious that you could get pregnant from kissing. At the same time, I knew that it took a man and a woman doing SOMETHING, although I hadn't yet figured out what exactly. I also knew that marriage wasn't a magical thing that made it possible to have kids, like a neighbor-friend thought.

I didn't get any sort of education on my own reproductive system until 5th grade, when we watched the "pancake video", where a woman makes a diagram of the ovaries and such with pancake batter.. Yeah. Welcome to Texas, folks. We kind of skimmed over the reproductive organs in 7th grade science and 9th grade biology, but that's the extent of the sex ed. I've had in school (I'm nearly done with High School at this point), unless you count the Abstinence Assemblies we had from time to time..

Everything I know, I learned from friends, the internet, TV/movies, my mom's medical textbooks, and somewhat from my mom. [shrug]

It is thorougly ridiculous that anyone would be that sheltered and disillusioned, but if they don't have ready access to other information, then their ignorance is understandable.  

iviary

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:23 am
iviary
LinkinPark7

I didn't when I was 7. I lived in a pretty sheltered conservative community. I was suspicious that you could get pregnant from kissing. At the same time, I knew that it took a man and a woman doing SOMETHING, although I hadn't yet figured out what exactly. I also knew that marriage wasn't a magical thing that made it possible to have kids, like a neighbor-friend thought.

I didn't get any sort of education on my own reproductive system until 5th grade, when we watched the "pancake video", where a woman makes a diagram of the ovaries and such with pancake batter.. Yeah. Welcome to Texas, folks. We kind of skimmed over the reproductive organs in 7th grade science and 9th grade biology, but that's the extent of the sex ed. I've had in school (I'm nearly done with High School at this point), unless you count the Abstinence Assemblies we had from time to time..

Everything I know, I learned from friends, the internet, TV/movies, my mom's medical textbooks, and somewhat from my mom. [shrug]

It is thorougly ridiculous that anyone would be that sheltered and disillusioned, but if they don't have ready access to other information, then their ignorance is understandable.
sweatdrop I meant some 7 year olds  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:02 pm
I sincerely hope that this is just a case of being misinformed. If they know the facts and just refuse to acknowledge them, then all the better--they can't have kids.  

DivideByZero14

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:40 pm
I would think educating kids accurately about sex, pregnancy and all that would help. You need to know the truth about it along with the consequences.
In school we covered everything pretty well. I think more could have been covered about the more controversial topics like abortion and the morning after pill. Also, they never really got into other things like what to do if you think you might be pregnant, if you want to get birth control pills, getting tested, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:31 pm
My school was pretty good at the whole sex ed thing. They taught us everything really and even brought in a few pastors from churchs who told us that "Sex is great, if you wait." gonk (The fact that I can remember that catch phrase six years later is kinda scary)

And... yeah, some children just need to be let out of the box. I shudder to think what will happen when those kids come into contact with a real sexual experience.  

PickleBoy

iviary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:38 pm
PickleBoy
My school was pretty good at the whole sex ed thing. They taught us everything really and even brought in a few pastors from churchs who told us that "Sex is great, if you wait." gonk (The fact that I can remember that catch phrase six years later is kinda scary)

And... yeah, some children just need to be let out of the box. I shudder to think what will happen when those kids come into contact with a real sexual experience.

Yeeeeah. We had all these assemblies where they hammered ABSTINENCE into our heads. The problem is, they didn't teach us ANYTHING about birth control, condoms, etc., so the majority of folks that aren't going to wait until marriage have never received any education on the subject in school. "The only safe sex is no sex!!" Gee, I wonder why Texas has one of the highest incedences of teenage pregnancy.. It's 8th highest for teenage pregnancy, and 4th highest for the birthrate from those pregnancies. Yeah, guys. This abstinence education is really working.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:28 pm
I think that they refuse to believe it. Even if they have R.S.V.P. (sex ed) that class usually tries to make you scared of sex and tell you that if you have sex before marriage you will get pregnant or get and STD but if you do it when you get marryed it will all be ok.  

GEt CrUnK iTs BiLlY!

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm
I far prefer teaching all about sex to just saying, "Do'on do eet! Jez!" I mean, I think that kids should have all of their questions answered as soon as they ask them. "Where do babies come from?" Mommy and Daddy had sex. If we stopped freaking mystifying sex, I think we'd all be better off.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:33 pm
DivideByZero14
I far prefer teaching all about sex to just saying, "Do'on do eet! Jez!" I mean, I think that kids should have all of their questions answered as soon as they ask them. "Where do babies come from?" Mommy and Daddy had sex. If we stopped freaking mystifying sex, I think we'd all be better off.

Hear hear! I agree.  

PickleBoy

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces