Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Lack of evidence?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:45 am
Link to article

Afgan court drops case against christian.
Lack of evidence? or maybe they were afraid of another "Holy War."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:55 am
Hrmmm....
"We have our history of conflicts that had to be worked out after a new constitution. And so the Afghans are working on it. But America has stood solidly for religious freedom as a bedrock, the bedrock, of democracy, and we'll see." Rice said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

What I see there is that is was not really the Afghan choice to free him at all. America came in and said that since we have 'religious freedom', that all other countries of the world have to, also. And what America has can hardly count as religious freedom.

Yami_Ichi

iviary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:15 pm
Yami_Ichi
Hrmmm....
"We have our history of conflicts that had to be worked out after a new constitution. And so the Afghans are working on it. But America has stood solidly for religious freedom as a bedrock, the bedrock, of democracy, and we'll see." Rice said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press."

What I see there is that is was not really the Afghan choice to free him at all. America came in and said that since we have 'religious freedom', that all other countries of the world have to, also. And what America has can hardly count as religious freedom.

It's greater religious freedom than many countries have.
Even though I wish people were not prejudiced against me, I'm very thankful that legally, I'm allowed to believe what I want.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:29 pm
We do have religious freedom in America. You are allowed to believe what you wish.
But does that force people to accept you? No. What more can you legally ask for? For everyone to hold hands and be happy and like eachother no matter what they believe in? You can't write perfect tolerance into the Constitution. There are still going to be issues raised, things brought to court to redefine a law, and new laws passed no matter what right or freedom you talk about. That's a very good thing though and something more people should be aware of and pay active attention to. Real change requires gradual change in society.

The basis of the controversy is that while the case may not be strong, there is very strong opposition from those who want him killed. But it's in court. They are legally considering this. And that still is most definitely a big step since the chance of being legally protected on the basis of religious freedom is not a shared concept in all countries by far.

quotezor
An official closely involved with the case told The Associated Press that it had been returned to the prosecutors for more investigation, but that in the meantime, Rahman would be released.

The case isn't really over either.

EDIT- I fixed the link so it wouldn't stretch the page.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:40 pm
Legally we can be whatever religion, but most people wont accept all religions in america some of the most hated religions Islam and Athiesm/Agnostism  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:06 pm
LinkinPark7
Legally we can be whatever religion, but most people wont accept all religions in america some of the most hated religions Islam and Athiesm/Agnostism

I don't about you, but I'd rather be hated than legally executed for my beliefs.  

iviary

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff