Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheists at Church

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:26 pm
(I'm copying this from my local paper. Its site requires an account, so I thought I'd do what I've seen others do, and just paste the article here)

Quote:
In his 11 years attending St. Luke's Lutheran Church, Cedric Stratton has emerged as one of "the most faithful," said the Rev. Steven P. Schulte.

Stratton attends nearly every worship service and church event. He volunteers for nearly every work project. He offers help to sick parishioners. He brings his smooth tenor to the church choir.

When he noticed that worshippers were leaving right after Sunday service, he created an after-worship reception to get people socializing.

"He's there almost whenever the doors are open," said Schulte, who pastors the Thunderbolt church.

But according to the doctrine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Stratton may not be going to heaven.

Sure he's a good person.

But Stratton is an avowed atheist.

"I do not believe in a supreme being," Stratton writes in a seven-page, single-spaced essay on his beliefs, or lack thereof. "My rationale is entrenched in chaos theory."

Chaos theory almost requires a mathematical degree just to explain. Very generally, it relies on two main components.

The first is that processes that occur in the world around us - no matter how complex or apparently random they may be - rely upon an underlying order. The second component is the "butterfly effect," the idea that simple or small systems and events can cause complex behaviors or events.

Humans, Stratton believes, get no special treatment in this world than any other carbon-based organism.

"Is life as we know it the BE-ALL-END-ALL?" Cedric writes. "I have no problem with saying 'yes' to that one."

Schulte is aware of Stratton's atheist beliefs.

And Schulte knows some Christians may view his acceptance of the retired chemist as an affront to the faith.

But Schulte said he couldn't turn away a man so willing to act like a Christian.

"I would much rather have Cedric than a hundred church members who said they were Christian and didn't walk the walk," Schulte said. "Unless you practice what you believe, then you don't really believe."

While Lutheran doctrine mandates belief in Jesus as the only route to salvation, it also indicates that baptism isn't a ticket to heaven, Schulte said.

Besides, he said, everyone in the church loves Cedric.

"I'm fine with it," said fellow choir member Bernice McCall. "To me a person's faith is a matter between himself and God. And I'm too focused on my relationship to worry about anyone else's."

That willingness to accept differences is one reason Stratton is comfortable at St. Luke's.

"I won't say they don't follow the doctrine of the Lutheran Church, but they do things their own way."

Standing just over five feet tall with the constant cheery expression of an English gentleman, Stratton still retains the high British accent of his upbringing though he's lived in the United States since 1963.

Fellow churchgoers say he's modest, humble and extraordinarily kind.

Some might even describe his behavior as "Christian."

That wouldn't offend Stratton.

In fact, he responds sharply if you say he's not.

"I take offense to that," he said. "I'm Christian, in everything except theology."

For that and other philosophic matters, Stratton finds like-minded chatters with a local weekly discussion group called Philo Cafe.

Stratton said he developed his ideas and interest in the sciences as a schoolboy at Truro School in Cornwall, England.

Upon his graduation in 1950, Surrey County awarded him a full scholarship to a university of his choice.

He attended Nottingham University and completed his undergraduate degree in 1953. He later completed his master's degree in science and Ph.D. in chemistry at the University of London.

In 1963 he became a research fellow with the National Science Foundation at the University of Florida.

Two years later, Stratton joined what was then Armstrong State College as associate professor of chemistry.

After a few years in Savannah, he helped launch The Savannah Striders, a club for jogging enthusiasts. And he became the local contact for Mensa International, a social club for people whose IQ scores in the top 2 percent of the population.

In 1991, Stratton married a Lutheran woman who attended St. Luke's.

Stratton loved her voice, whether she was singing or just reading aloud. So he began attending the worship service for the pleasure of listening to her participate.

Soon, he found a project: cleaning up some mold growing on the ceiling.

Then, he learned that Schulte, then new to the congregation, was a recreational runner in need of some training.

Stratton began attending more events at St. Luke's. And the more he attended, the more he discovered needs - of the church and of its members - he could fulfill.

A few years ago, a member of the choir got into a car accident and needed physical therapy. Stratton was happy to drive her to her appointments.

When she insisted on paying him for his trouble, he told her what he really wanted was singing lessons. She said it was a deal. Stratton completed the lessons and soon joined the choir.

Stratton insists he's been on the receiving end of the church's kindness as well.

Once, after he had driven to Atlanta to visit his daughter and then catch a flight to England, he discovered he had left his passport at home.

It was a Sunday and his flight left at 10 a.m. the following day.

Stratton frantically called friends in Savannah looking for someone who may be en route to Atlanta. No one was.

So Schulte cancelled his Monday appointments and drove the passport to Atlanta, meeting Stratton at the airport.

Schulte howls with laughter at the memory.

"I got there with an hour to spare," Schulte said.

But then, many of the memories church members have created with Stratton go like that.

Since Stratton began attending St. Luke's regularly, the church's membership of about 50 has changed for the better, Schulte said. The congregation has become "more youthful acting" and "good-spirited."

"A large part of the credit goes to Cedric," Schulte said. "He's there. He does things for people and he doesn't want recognition."

But if Stratton doesn't believe in God and doesn't feel mandated to go to church, why does he attend?

"What I get from this church is an abiding feeling that we're all friends," said Stratton, who retired from Armstrong in 1993.

"My thinking is that these people are so great to be with, I don't care if I'm forced to live in hell for eternity," Stratton said.

"They're such nice folks, I had a wonderful time while I was here."

Opinions?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:42 pm
Well, nowadays many people go to church just for the social aspect. I know that someone from my school goes to church just to play music.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:49 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
Well, nowadays many people go to church just for the social aspect. I know that someone from my school goes to church just to play music.

That's true. I wouldn't be surprised if only about half of the churchgoers really believed--that's the half you have to worry about.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:22 am
Well...it is interesting.

I find it refreshing that as an Athiest...he is able to to gain acceptance by a group of religious. Those people are able to put aside him being athiest and look at his other qualities.

What we need is more people like that guy, and more religious people able to see what the people at St. Lukes can see.

It is a nice example of the fact that religious and athiest can get along, if both parties are willing to put theological differences aside.

Sanguvixen

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm
I believe Cedric is what many call a "Liberal Atheist". Which, from what I've read, is an Atheist who lives under the laws of Christ, despite the fact that they don't believe in him. I'm not sure if these kinds of Atheists exist within Christianity in particualr, but I only read about Atheists who follow Jesus' way of life.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:08 pm
DivideByZero14
The MoUsY spell-checker

That's true. I wouldn't be surprised if only about half of the churchgoers really believed--that's the half you have to worry about.

I'd imagine a greater percentage than that believe. Most nonbelievers wouldn't subject themselves to that every week, nor more often. There are certainly plenty of nonbelievers that attend church, but I'd surmise they're safely in the minority.

And I'm among those that go to church just to play music. Well, I used to, anyhow. I quit a few months ago.  

iviary

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:47 pm
Blasphemize
I believe Cedric is what many call a "Liberal Atheist". Which, from what I've read, is an Atheist who lives under the laws of Christ, despite the fact that they don't believe in him. I'm not sure if these kinds of Atheists exist within Christianity in particualr, but I only read about Atheists who follow Jesus' way of life.
He's looking at it as a moral sort of example and not for a religion. They might believe in Jesus as a man who existed and maybe taught these things or whatever, but not that he was the son of god. Similar thing with Deist beliefs.

Anyhow, I think it's good for him if that's what he wants to do. I don't see why it'd be a problem since churches have alot of social things and often work with programs in the community anyways.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games