Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Question about Haradrim... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eruresto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:58 pm
Instead of Arabic, use some Aramaic if you can, it is purer and more Semitic than Hebrew or Arabic.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:18 pm
Tolkien never mentioned them having a specific language, however I'm pretty sure that they spoke the common language most of the time, at least when they were down in Middle-Earth. They probably knew their language and the common language, so that way they could travel anywhere they wanted to.  

churrlo

Crazymexican101

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:32 pm
zylaxidia
As far as I know, Tolkien himself did not specify a language for the Haradrim, though RPG groups call it Haradric or something like that. Tolkien did say that Gandalf was called "Incanus" in the South, meaning "north-spy" though Tolkien also said that it might be Quenya for "Mind-leader." It's probably somewhat related to the language of Khand, though we don't know much about that either... sweatdrop

Considering that no one goes to Far Harad, and Near Harad only comes into contact with the occasional Black Numenorean early on, and then go ally with Mordor, so its probably closer to Black Speech than anything else. Then again, they had prolonged contact with Umbar, which was taken over by Gondorians....

I'm not helping, am I?

After the Fall of Sauron, Aragorn traveled to and conquered Near and Far Harad, Khand,and the land of Rhun beyond the Inland Sea (Sea of Rhun),
and it (the book) mentions that Aragorn traveled into these lands when he was young, so he knew their language and their ways, so it must have been close to any language he spoke, right?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:01 pm
Hmm right!  

churrlo

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:52 am
A language Aragorn spoke.....that doesn't really minimise the possibilities of the languages that they spoke......although it most likely would be a native tongue, they don't strike me as folk that would be fluent in other peoples languages.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff