Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I'm so frustrated!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:18 am
I know people don't want to hear ranting sometimes so I figured why not create a thread to keep it all in one place? I hope no one minds. I of course have a rant in mind and I didn't want to clutter anyone else's thread with it. *L*  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:20 am
I know lots of ya'll are experienced knitters so this will probably sound ridiculous to you but oh well! I'm trying to learn to knit but all I have to show me is pictures and text, I don't have anyone to actually show me. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out and I just can't do it!

It drives me nuts, there are kids learning to knit and here I am an adult and I'm getting beaten by this stuff! I think if I had someone to show me in person it would help but I don't. gonk  

onnawaffle

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:05 pm
Lady Leonardo
I know lots of ya'll are experienced knitters so this will probably sound ridiculous to you but oh well! I'm trying to learn to knit but all I have to show me is pictures and text, I don't have anyone to actually show me. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out and I just can't do it!

It drives me nuts, there are kids learning to knit and here I am an adult and I'm getting beaten by this stuff! I think if I had someone to show me in person it would help but I don't. gonk
If you go to knitting.about.com, theres links to animations that show you how to do the different stitches. sweatdrop I know its not as good as a real person but its better than just a photo.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:48 pm
do you have a michael's nearby? mine usually has all sorts of classes you can sign up for, and they're pretty cheap.

and don't feel too bad about not being able to get knitting. I'm almost 30 and couldn't get it at all, even with the pictures and everything, whereas crocheting was a breeze.  

jbeth

Thirteenth Streaker

16,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50

gemini6184

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:01 pm
jbeth
do you have a michael's nearby? mine usually has all sorts of classes you can sign up for, and they're pretty cheap.

and don't feel too bad about not being able to get knitting. I'm almost 30 and couldn't get it at all, even with the pictures and everything, whereas crocheting was a breeze.
not many people can do both. i cant crochet to save my life  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:20 pm
http://www.knittinghelp.com/ has awesome videos and written instructions for most things you'll encounter. Do you have any local yarn stores nearby? They should have classes and knowledgable staff that can help you get started. I, personally, taught myself from books; Stitch n b***h taught me the most. Sally Melville has two really great books (The Knit Stitch and The Purl Stitch) that have full color photographs illustrating her lessons.

Eventually it'll click and you'll have this HUGE lightbulb over your head when it does. I'm convinced that kids pick these things up faster because they're just not afraid to suck. They don't worry about how or why something works, they just do it and consequenses be damned! Just have faith and keep trying.  

Catcheen
Crew

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:35 pm
If you don't mind shelling out the money, you might try Knitting Made Easy CD-Rom. It's about $9 (even cheaper if you have a 40% off coupon from JoAnn/Michael's/AC Moore) and it's very clear. There are also a bunch of websites that have video demonstrations. If you have cable, you might check out the show Knitty Gritty on DIY (if you have DIY Network in your area). 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:47 pm
Lady Leonardo

surprisingly enough...i have the exact same problem. crying gonk crying gonk redface
thanks for the tips though mrgreen  

blessed.into.extinction

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:44 am
See, this thread was a good idea! *L*

I'll look into some of those videos when I get home from work tonight. I'm confident I can pick this up, I just need to get started that's all.

(My mood judges whether I'm confident or not of course... ask me after I've failed again if I do and I'll tell you otherwise. *L*)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am
My biggest challenge was figuring out how to hold everything. That was true of both crochet and knitting, though with only one hook, I took to crochet a little faster. The other think to remember is that there are LOTS of ways to knit, and while one "correct" version might be difficult, any direction you can get a loop through another one and onto the other needle is probably has a name and is "right" according to somebody. So I'd strongly encourage you to look around. If nothing else, keep hunting out websites for different kinds of knitting (eastern, western, continental) to see if one of them is easier for you than another. I couldn't do western stockinette stitch (standard here in the US) for a long time, but after I got the hang of other orientations of knitting, I was able to figure out some of the stuff I couldn't do before.

The biggest things I'd say is:
1. Be patient, especially if it doesn't look perfect - practice will help make it look more even.
2. Use a solid easy to see color - anything light or bright enough that you can clearly see your stitches will help.
3. Don't use the same piece of yarn over and over and over to practice on. I did this and before long it was worn and splitting and only making everything harder!

HTH.  

enlith

Torisami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:43 pm
where do you live xd ...hehehe  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:12 am
I haven't tried again yet (I was busy trying to put something together for the boyfriend's Easter present) but my sister just came home and apparently she learned to knit!

I'm still going to try to learn with the suggestions ya'll gave me, but now at least I know someone who can teach me. A woman I work with knows how but somehow I think knitting in the middle of our workday might look a little conspicuous.

"We're knitting seat covers for the humvees. Those things get awfully dirty!" xd  

onnawaffle

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:47 pm
I'm getting rather frustrated at the lack of patterns i can find in my size. I know i'm not a small girl, but i've lost alot of weight and i don't look bad in a skirt that doesn't go down to my ankles. scream I'm not talented enough to make ove for myself, seeing as how i normally sew bags, not cloths.

(incase you were wondering, my waist is a 44, and my hips are 47 - thats in inches)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:38 pm
Craftster has added a board for ample craftsters under their clothing forum. It's a new board, so it's still kinda small, but there are some good tips there already. I'd link directly to the board, but Craftster doesn't want to work for me tonight.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

onnawaffle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:18 pm
*squeel*

My sister taught me today! She even let me borrow her knitting needles and "Knitting for Dummies" book. *dances*

Now I need to finish this duct tape wing so I can work on trying to knit. xd  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff