Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Denim Quilt - update 05/02/06

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:58 pm
~
Of course I have another quilting project going but if I didn't start a new one I wouldn't be obsessed, right? I am rationalizing it by saying it is only a lap quilt and my other project is so nearly done. ninja

So I am starting on a denim quilt journey. Here I will chronical my progress, because I like it when other people do that, yay step by step.

User Image
This is my design, I made it for myself, please don't use it.
The diagonal stripes will be the denim. The clouds and hearts will be appliqued on, from the pictures off old shirts that I can't wear but can't bear to part with, the hearts will have the shirts that are too colourful to be clouds 3nodding

Where I am right now is begging the pants off of anyone who will give them to me! whee I've asked all my friends for their worn out jeans, and will put to use some of my own. I may end up going to a thrift store too but I'm going to try to get away with paying little to nothing for my materials.

Has anyone else quilted denim? Any tips or warnings before I get started? I know it's heavy fabric and that I will need a denim needle and patience. LOL I am not handsewing this one either.

Update posts:
April 30/06
May 02/06

~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:14 pm
I haven't sewed denim quilts before, but I have to say my grandmother made me an entirely denim quilt and I LOVE it. It's heavy (which I like) and warm. *snuggles the blanket*

Good luck with it, I like the pattern  

firrantello

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:30 pm
I can't tell you a darned thing about quilting, but I really like your design and concept. What a great thing to do with old, loved shirts and jeans!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:31 pm
~
I've been collecting materials(picture). I haven't a whole lot so far and I've started to cut the denim up, however peices that are worn thin like the arses and stretched out like the knees (which will not lay flat! surprised ) are no good and there is not a whole lot of material salvageable for this project (though i will collect the zippers, pockets, rivets and buttons and stash them away in my scrap collection)

I'm waiting untill I have the denim pieced and whotnot before I cut the shirts (and pair of socks, with cows on them and huge holes) because, well I still have as of yet to convince myself totally that I can't wear them anymore. (I know in my mind but somehow I am not still convinced)
There are other shirts that I have to find yet, that I may not even still have.
More importantly I need to start collecting the pants that people have promised me.

I have denim fuzzes all up my nose froom cutting it, I blow my nose and it's jean coloured surprised

~

Tes

[Grendel]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:04 pm
I love your quilt idea and I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out. I don't have the sewing skills to make my own quilt so I'm also really jealous of you 3nodding

I have full sypathy with your jeans snot ( xp ) I used feather boas to make Christmas stockings last year, I was coughing up little white feathers for weeks.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:55 pm
Thurston Moore
I love your quilt idea and I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out. I don't have the sewing skills to make my own quilt so I'm also really jealous of you 3nodding

I have full sypathy with your jeans snot ( xp ) I used feather boas to make Christmas stockings last year, I was coughing up little white feathers for weeks.
~
It is really easy to pick up if you ever wanted to. I mean EASY, it's just a whole lot of effort.

LOLz feathers.
I have since decided that I will wear a face mask when cutting anything but basic cotton weave or broadcloth! And especially if I ever decide to feather something xd

~

Tes

Tes

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:25 pm
~
In direct response to my problem with denim fuzz up my nose I spent a night making a surgical mask, you know like you see doctors wear. The ones that you get at the building supply stores abraid my face and make me break out in rash, not cool. I just made mine out of some scrap white cotton laying around. There are like NO patterns for them online though so I just looked at pictures and went from there.
It was pretty easy though, I just ironed a few pleats into the fabric (so that the center would "stretch" but the sides which were sewn would keep the same shape, making that cup face holder thingy), bound the edges and VOLA! I hand sewed it because my sewing machine seems to have dissapeared. D: It would be a real easy project to power through with a machine too.... all straight lines... I could have had it done in 15 mins.

Pictures:
Surgical mask
Me in the mask
My hair is tied back to spare you all it's messiness... and well don't look at me look at the mask sweatdrop I may get better pictures but it's hard to take pictures of oneself especially if you're bad with cameras.

~

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:48 pm
If I ever break my vow not to ever work with tiny feathers again I think I shall try the mask thing.

I like your glasses 3nodding  

[Grendel]

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:55 pm
Too bad I don't know you IRL. I just retired my old denim curtains (they're soft and faded now) for a new pair of denim curtains (oi.. they're so stiff and dark. My room's dark like a cave now). It'd be cool if I could give you my curtains for your quilt. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:21 am
~
Thurston, thanks heart
They're tortus shell but they are totally lacking in the 50's/60's kind wings on the sides.

Peppermint, lol that would be awesome, too bad, eh? I have a lot of friends giving up pants though, I don't think that I will run out of denim.

~

Tes

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces