Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Help Finding Cheap Fabric

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

anneadeline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:31 pm
I have recently started making purses and accessories from fabric, but I'm running out. I've been using some of my mother's fabric, but she doesn't exactly have the same tastes as I do. sweatdrop

So, my question, where could I get some cheap fabric (online)?
(I don't exactly have a ton of money to spend)

Thanks a lot!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:48 pm
Ebay! If you hunt around you can find some great fabric.

I also love http://www.scissorhappy.com. It's not overly cheap but has some really gorgeous printed fabric.  

[Grendel]

anneadeline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:49 pm
Thurston Moore
Ebay! If you hunt around you can find some great fabric.

I also love http://www.scissorhappy.com. It's not overly cheap but has some really gorgeous printed fabric.

Okay, thanks! I'll go check those out now. I never thought of looking on Ebay.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:10 pm
~
Scavenging fabric is the absolute cheapest, especially if you're making things that don't require large uncut pieces. You could go to a thrift store but I find the best places to go are the warehouses where they keep the clothes that the thrift stores reject (if you can find one in your area). They're clothes with busted seams, tears or whatever that are too much hassel for a thrift store to repair and sell however are still mostly useable fabric. They will sell you fabric by the pound, the rest goes to make rags which are sold to factories where workers may need them.

You could try asking a thrift store where all their rejects go.

edit:sometimes a thrift store actually buys it's clothing in bulk from a supplier. The suppliers will sort bales for you according to what you want some will ship 100lb bales but most 1000lb, a lot of fabric. It's good to ask around.

~

Tes

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:51 pm
Joann's sells precut fabric squares really really cheap. Quarter yards for $1.49, which get pretty good mileage as long as you're not working on anything super huge. They also sell little bundles, too, for like $4... or more, if it's something a little fancier.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:00 pm
The best stuff I've gotten has been at thrift stores.

Thrift store rejects is an even better idea!  

Bookwyrme

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:40 pm
I'm a huge fan of friend's parents scrap bins, old jeans, and thrift stores. Old halloween costumes can work wonders, i made my friend a purse out of her old pochahontas costume from when she was in like kindergarden and she loves it. Says it reminds her of a more innocent time. or something like that. i tend to look at her with those "your only 14 and a half... 15?" eyes. mrgreen

Yeah, i'm a fan of tearing things apart for cloth.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:29 am
I'll have to go check out the thrift stores nearby, thanks for the idea!
I've already ripped up a few pairs of old jeans, but I hadn't thought of using Halloween costumes!
Thanks again! biggrin  

anneadeline

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:37 pm
Walmart 1$ a yard eek need I say more.
granted its not all that cheep, but there's still a lot in that 1$ bin. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:19 pm
When I was going to garage/yard/estate sales on a regular basis I'd sometimes find fabric that someone had bought and never used. I'd also buy long skirts to cut up for fabric.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces