Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Basic Principles of Design - Contrast

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OptimaClonic5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:29 pm
My teachers made us learn an easy way to remember the important four principles of design, C.R.A.P. - Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, and Proximity. All of these make up a good designed piece.

Contrast-
Contrast is one of the more important concepts in my opinion. It is also my favorite. If contrast is achieved it can make a piece much stronger. It makes someone see instantly what should be seen first, second, etc. What do I mean by contrast? A lot of things...

Text
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

When it comes to text, contrast is important to grasp the reader's attention. It forms hierchy of what is the most important points and what goes from there. From this example you can see that the one on the left is pretty generic and dull. Creating high differences in point size (go all out, don't be a wimp), bolding text, or starting the first letter larger will make the entire presentation of text more interesting to read.

Color
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

To create high contrast in color while maintaining harmony it's best to use colors that create a lot of opposition to each other. Such as using dull with bright colors, dark with light, or as this example shows on the right - complementary colors (those opposite on the color wheel). The design on the left shows that similar colors look nice but are more fit for a formal or calming design. Contrasting colors can be used to create depth and once again create hierchy of importance to a piece.

Shapes
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.1
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.2

To create contrast in shapes use differences like sharp with rounded shapes. Use them at different angles. Use different sizes. As you can see from the 1st example, creating an object with a different size will grab the viewer's attention a lot more than the monotony of the design on the left of number 1. In the 2nd example you see that the one on the left has all shapes of about the same size and proximity to one another, *yawn*. In the one on the right the design comes alive with music. It dances and shows energy. Shapes of different sizes going at different angles creates an interesting mix.

- I hope this lesson has been helpful. These are the bare basics of graphic design. The CRAP principle is something everyone should memorize who is interested in this field. Next lesson will be posted in about a week. If I have made any mistakes please contact me. Comments and opinions are welcome in the reply to this post.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:37 pm
Let me add that I am currently in college studying graphic design. I'm on my second year and have already learned a lot. Now I just need to get my portfolio started and go out and kick some butt. Make some money doing what I heart

-The server that hosts the images may be down sometimes. It usually doesn't happen much... sweatdrop  

OptimaClonic5

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:48 am
Wooo good tutorial! They're all things I sort of knew instinctively, but its good to have it all summarised nicely here 3nodding Thanks!

It might be good to set some kind of task to get everyone more involved... although I guess its hard to do that for things this fundamental.

Looking forward to the next ones!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:06 pm
i spent time researching this kinda thing for gcse graphics
the way colours are used to represent or present an emption or word
such as the use of yellow and black in warning tape
or the idea of purple+ropyalty
black+ evil or power
red+ danger or sensuality
etc
as well as the use of curved closed shapes producing an inviting secure ompression and sharp angular shapes producing one of erratic movement etc
i also looked into harmonious and complimentary colours and i'm gonna be doing more of this kinda thing at a level art and tech
it's gona be interesting and fun!!  

Acis

aSleepyPanda

Lavish Tipper

8,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:01 pm
Quote:
C.R.A.P. - Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, and Proximity

Haha. I love that.

I've learned about contrast, alignment, and proximity from my design and drawing class, but never repetition. Good to know though. 3nodding Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:56 am
More please blaugh

*is hungry for more knowledge*

Please please please?  

Chisa
Vice Captain

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:27 am
Please suh, can I have some more? (in a funny english accent)

Teehee.

Today is a slow day at work. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:12 pm
oh and juxtapositioning and justapose
i thiunk those are the words...
to position something in order to cause contrast
often seen in the work of kandinsky!
we were told to remember that  

Acis

xNathan_Fordx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:02 pm
I could of sworn there were more principles of design. But it might be different from school to school. I know there is about 8 elements of design and I could of sworn there were around 7 principles of design I going to check that. 3nodding

Yeah let me get back to you guys.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:42 pm
Okay well this is what I was taught.

Compostion: Balance, Symmetry, and Asymmetry
Frame of Reference: Edges and Cropping
Positive and Negative: This primarily deals with space (including figure and Ground)
Movement/Direction: Kind of self explanatory
Emphasis(focal point): Which covers contrast (with size/scale, shape/volume, position, Direction, Colour,& Tone/value)
Dominance: slightly different from emphasis(which is designed to draw you eye to something different) it is an aspect that overall catches the eyes attention (example: Gaia colour scheme dominately is blue but empahsis is on the pink logo)
Isolation
Gestalt/Unity: overall piece works as a whole.
Grouping
Similarity
Closure
Rhythm pattern which cause the human mind to group things together (example •••8•••8•••8•••8 )*
Repetition where a certain characteristic is repeated (example: heart whee domokun mrgreen ninja , All the these shapes are same size therefor size it repeated )

*Note the bullets may not show up!

okay so I was wrong there is more than 7. But some overlap so it it works out to a number close to 7. If there is any I need to explain more thoroughly let me know.
I know that is will take me longer to find the elements of art. But if my memory serves me well the list includes: colour, hue, tone/tint, line, space, shape,and form. But I could be wrong. sweatdrop  

xNathan_Fordx

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:09 am
I guess different schools teach it in different ways?

chaoschild, would you mind going into more detail about the things that you mentioned? Like this one that OptimaClonic5 did? biggrin It's good to see the different ways that people learned things.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:47 pm
Chisa

chaoschild, would you mind going into more detail about the things that you mentioned? Like this one that OptimaClonic5 did? biggrin It's good to see the different ways that people learned things.

sure just give me a day or to compile a few images. smile All I need to do is look through my old notes for some good examples. biggrin  

xNathan_Fordx

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:44 am
chaoschild
Chisa

sure just give me a day or to compile a few images. smile All I need to do is look through my old notes for some good examples. biggrin

That'd be great! Thanks! xd  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:00 am
I think the way it works is that the concepts that OptimaClonic5 talked about are more like Graphic Design Principles, and the ones you're thinking of, chaoschild, are more like BASIC design principles. So they just kind of fit into different categories. But it would be great if you'd teach that course, chaoschild, I was thinking I would, but if you have notes and stuff about it, that's a lot more than I have. Go for it! Thanks!  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces