Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
May 3, 2006

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:36 am
Yeah, I'm a day late on these already.... I looked yesterday and I just didn't find anything. I'm in the process of weeding out blogs that don't interest me anymore... anyway, here's an good article that talks about thinking through your designs.

I love this site too! Very pretty.

Can You Justify Design Decisions?  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:45 am
Haha something to reflect on i guess... ive just always put things anywhere and hope for the best ... usually leaving me with a half finished site that i never end up using ...

Its quite true that layouts and stuff in the professional industry should be well thought out ... good thing im not a professional =P

just out of curiosity ... what font would people mostly use for general text on webpages ... i find my self generally using sans serif or helvettica ...  

GhoSt-X

Catani

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:01 am
ahh... that's my strongest part ^^;;; - i can say what in my opinion is bad/good in some design and why it is so - but still i can't make a very good design =_=  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:55 pm
I never really thought about it before. In the past I've mostly done abstract designs that are mainly to showcare a graphic, but recently I've been trying to get as far away from that as possible. And I guess I can't really answer the question right now.  

brokenyoyo

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm
GhoSt-X
Haha something to reflect on i guess... ive just always put things anywhere and hope for the best ... usually leaving me with a half finished site that i never end up using ...

Its quite true that layouts and stuff in the professional industry should be well thought out ... good thing im not a professional =P

just out of curiosity ... what font would people mostly use for general text on webpages ... i find my self generally using sans serif or helvettica ...
Yeah, usually Arial/Helvetica or Verdana for me, and it seems to match with what I've seen... although depending on the flavour of the site I've seen Georgia and Century Gothic work nicely too.

On the article - I went to a talk a while ago, and one speaker said something like how artists and designers tend to think they're 'above' other professions because they believe what they do is based on instint and talent, some inherent knowledge that something works or doesn't without basing it on any rules, but that's not true - we base our work on rules, but just don't know what they are!

I'm still not great at justifying all my design decisions, but I'm trying to be more concious of why I'm doing things, especially when trying to explain to a client/my boss why putting bevels and drop shadows on everything might not be such a great idea rolleyes  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games