Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Opinions On The Death Penalty Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your opinion on the Death Penalty?
  I agree with the death penalty
  I disagree with the death penalty
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:31 pm
I would also like to add that I do believe that along with environmental influences there is also a genetic predisposition to crime and violence. Therefore, by allowing these people to continue living, especially if they are repeat offenders who are consistently in and out of jail, we are allowing them to spread inferior and dangerous genes.

If you think that's a bit genelist, tell it to the girl who was raped by the son of a man with a history of mental illness. These are one of the things no one takes seriously until hits home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm
Well...if you purposefully take a human life you forfit your own, so I'm for the idea of it.

I don't know much about costs and such though, so I'll just say that and be on my way.... sweatdrop  

Henneth Annun

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:29 pm
I'd have to disagree with that. It costs more money, the so-called murderer may be innocent, and the U.S. is one of the few civilized countries in the world who does this. We are looked down on.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:30 pm
Dathu
I would also like to add that I do believe that along with environmental influences there is also a genetic predisposition to crime and violence. Therefore, by allowing these people to continue living, especially if they are repeat offenders who are consistently in and out of jail, we are allowing them to spread inferior and dangerous genes.

If you think that's a bit genelist, tell it to the girl who was raped by the son of a man with a history of mental illness. These are one of the things no one takes seriously until hits home.

keep them in jail and they will never breed again ^^  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu

That would work if they really did keep them in jail. Even now, there are tons of prisoner release programs to reduce the overcrowding problem. Plus, while it may be true that in areas where the death penalty is in effect, there is the greatest amount of violence, that is not a direct sign that the death penalty has no deterring effect. Instead, it could be looked at that these areas still have the death penalty BECAUSE the violent crime rate is so high. To truly prove that the death penalty has no effect as a deterrent, you would have to take an area that does not have the death penalty, put it into effect and see if the violent crime rate rises or falls.

Until such research is done, I stand by my statement that the death penalty is an effect deterrent, and furthermore, will reduce the over crowding. Yes, I agree, if prisoners were kept in jail and NOT ALLOWED CONJUGAL VISITS, which many of them are, it would prevent them from breeding dangerous genes, but unfortunately that isn't the case, and that is why some of the most crime ridden areas, in America, also have the highest birth rates.

I'm sorry but when it comes to violent criminals, I have very little sympathy or patients. Even if it costs more, even if other countries that DON'T HAVE THE SAME LEVEL OF VIOLENCE look down on us, I would gladly pull the switch myself. Until the system works these issues out, which it's not, I will be pro-death penalty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:45 pm
Dathu
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu

That would work if they really did keep them in jail. Even now, there are tons of prisoner release programs to reduce the overcrowding problem. Plus, while it may be true that in areas where the death penalty is in effect, there is the greatest amount of violence, that is not a direct sign that the death penalty has no deterring effect. Instead, it could be looked at that these areas still have the death penalty BECAUSE the violent crime rate is so high. To truly prove that the death penalty has no effect as a deterrent, you would have to take an area that does not have the death penalty, put it into effect and see if the violent crime rate rises or falls.

Until such research is done, I stand by my statement that the death penalty is an effect deterrent, and furthermore, will reduce the over crowding. Yes, I agree, if prisoners were kept in jail and NOT ALLOWED CONJUGAL VISITS, which many of them are, it would prevent them from breeding dangerous genes, but unfortunately that isn't the case, and that is why some of the most crime ridden areas, in America, also have the highest birth rates.

I'm sorry but when it comes to violent criminals, I have very little sympathy or patients. Even if it costs more, even if other countries that DON'T HAVE THE SAME LEVEL OF VIOLENCE look down on us, I would gladly pull the switch myself. Until the system works these issues out, which it's not, I will be pro-death penalty.

Reasonably, but we are getting a bit Death Note-ish here XD.

I am a Hispanic so don't think I'm racist, but it may have something to do with the high rate of immigration to this country. It's overcrowded and these people don't know how to act here. Also the high rate of racism plays a big role. I would have to agree with you if the high rate crimes keep going up.  

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:59 pm
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu

I am a Hispanic so don't think I'm racist, but it may have something to do with the high rate of immigration to this country. It's overcrowded and these people don't know how to act here. Also the high rate of racism plays a big role. I would have to agree with you if the high rate crimes keep going up.

sweatdrop Still never seen Death Note. I know I need to, I figure I'll get to it eventually.

Oh and I'm Puerto Rican. But I was born in Illinois and adopted by Caucasians, so I have no Hispanic culture at all, just your average suburban dude.
xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm
alright I'm kind of on the ropes with any form of death-penalty I see the advantages and disadvantages of it.

I don't like that it coast so much no mater where you from to go throw with it and keeping them in jail is more coast efficient

but then again I believe in eye for an eye, if you take someones life I feel it be only right that it happens to you as well, I can't stand in the news epically in America when I hear people get off for pleading insanity but really just being killers, if they have at least 99% proof that they killed said person I say go ahead and get rid of the scum. If the person is a serial killer they do not deserve to just stay alive for the rest of there days in prison they should get the chair

So yeah ropes but I don't care how much on the ropes but if your a serial killer you don't get ropes you get death right away  

Free the immortal

Doredia

Beloved Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:52 pm
Dathu
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu
Random Rainbow Rukia
Dathu

sweatdrop Still never seen Death Note. I know I need to, I figure I'll get to it eventually.

Oh and I'm Puerto Rican. But I was born in Illinois and adopted by Caucasians, so I have no Hispanic culture at all, just your average suburban dude.
xd

lol that's kinda cool though XD I've have an accent and all that lol  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:01 pm
User Image

I had a nightmare this morning before I woke up. I was almost raped by people I didn't know. It was actually horrifying (not many things ever actually horrified me). If rape actually happened to me, I think I would want that guy dead.

Death Penalty should be there for rapists and murderers (which it is). And honestly, I don't like the idea that if we take down the death penalty, all that's stopping rapists and murderers are free food, shelter, and clothing. You even get to play basketball in prison!

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:54 pm
PoeticVengeance
shinobikun
Sorry I was gone so long but I was pretty busy in College and Work. I was wondering what are the opinions of those in this forum about the Death Penalty. I will post my 2 cents later after a I see a couple of posts but I have already made my mind and I agree with Penn And Teller's show on the topic on the Death Penalty.

It is completely worthless as a deterent, since a lot of killers think they can get away with it.

Its also so ridiculously expensive, might as well keep em in jail for life.

It actually is cheaper.

It's true that it's actually cheaper to keep them alive for 50 years than to execute them the way the US does it. Also, lethal injection is actually MORE painful than the way N.K. does it with a bullet in the head, and they're called savages for it. Eliminating the death penalty also makes felons fight less once they're arrested.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm
s**t. If they really want someone dead, do it themselves. No need to take it formal or anything. Why bother having the formal executions? They just cost money. Make their time in prison worth their while if you know what I mean.  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

Nardone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:42 pm
i do agree with the death penalty.. but only if its completely necessary..
i know some people say its more of a punishment to keep them in jail for the rest of there life and make them beg to go back outside..
but when you tell someone they will die in a few days and we will legally be able to kill them, i think thats the worst..
also i think it makes an example of them.. its like saying.. "******** WITH THE GOVERNMENT AND YOU WILL DIE!!"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:03 am
For the ones proven absolutely guilty, yes kill them. It helps reduce the population burst. Also, for the ones who can't be proven guilty absolutely, keep them in jail until final verdicts are either proven or disproven.  

B1g_crunch

Questionable Loiterer

8,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Flatterer 200

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:39 pm
Death Penalty: I'm for it...in fact we aren't exercising it enough.

Population is rising too dramatically, this (along with abortion) could be a way for us to help maintain an ordinary population and break-out a few spare rooms for the new prisoners...
Okay, so my view on this may be a tad bleak...but hey, we're all gonna die eventually: why not sooner than later? It's not like the inmates quality of life is going to get any better if they have several life sentances.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff