Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cleanign metal

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CassieConnors11

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:59 am
My friend has a new box. Its very dirty in the not pretty way. I was wondering what kind of things could be used to clean it?  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:22 am
What kind of metal is it made of? There's all kinds of cleaning supplies made for specific metals. Most high-end grocery stores have basic metal cleaners for copper, silver, and stainless steel. If we know what kind of metal it's made of, someone might be able to recommend a specific cleaner or even a home-made mixture you could use.  

Catcheen
Crew

CassieConnors11

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 am
Well I think is is a cheap metal. I also think that it has a gold leafing. not real gold but you know what I mean.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:02 pm
Hmm... gold leafing, eh? I'm not so sure there's a safe way to clean that. All I can suggest is trying a little diluted viniger and doing a little test patch to see if it cleans it and to make sure it doesn't ruin it. If that doesn't work, then I've got no other ideas.  

Catcheen
Crew

11amagirl

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:15 pm
well... if i might suggest an idea... try cola! well, try the testing it first like the other person said but i really think it will work! [i watch mythbusters and one was about cola cleaning several things. it worked but still try and test it first]  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:58 pm
If it's tarnished, try toothpaste. Seriously, it's very gentle and takes tarnish right off. I've cleaned several silver turquoise rings of my mom's and it works REALLY well. If the leafing is delicate, do a test patch and rub it on with a soft cloth.  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

CassieConnors11

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:26 am
Thank you very much.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items