Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spooky Electric

Sparkly Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:16 am
I wish I knew who posted this on my campus, but I recently saw a flyer ... on my campus ... that advertised this essay contest thing.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, which I have never previously heard of, has two essay contests currently running - one open to High School seniors, the other open to College students, with a cash prize hurray. Right now (I'm guessing they do this annually or at least semi-regularly) the contest for High School students is to write an essay on "Why Intelligent Design Should Not Be Taught In Schools", and the College essay is "Why I Am An Atheist/Agnostic", "Growing Up a Freethinker" or "Rejecting Religion" -- basically just three sides of the same three-sided coin, I suppose.

In any case, the deadline for contest entries is July 1. I figured this might be of Guild interest!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:39 am
Wow mrgreen

If only they had something similar here in the UK where no-one's really bothered about there being an 'official' recognised athiest movement sad

Muaethia

Spooky Electric

Sparkly Phantom

8,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:23 pm
*latest reply ever*

I only have one English friend so this is really just conjecture, but don't you also have the benefit of not living in a theocracy where not adhering to some religion results in ostracization?

...Hell, is religion even, socially, that big of a deal over there? Or am I just getting the 'land of milk and honey' view of the place? @_@

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:53 am
*looks up conjecture, theocracy, and ostracization in the dictionary* eek

No, religion is not a big deal over here. But then again, there are some christian nutters, and there isn't that much in the way of an atheist organisation either. To my knowledge. I suppose it's a society where you believe or don't believe, and tis a case of 'we won't try convert you if you don't try to anti-convert/diss us' in most cases

Muaethia

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:34 pm

I read the topic and then forgot about it. Thanks for posting about the essay though. I might try entering, but I will most likely forget again.
I never saw anything on my campus about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 pm
Too bad I'm no good at essay writing x_x
I have good ideas, but putting them on paper is a no-no for me. xD

Ailse

Time-traveling Nymph

Copper Forrest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:42 am
thanks for posting that website - although i am too old to enter the contest, i am always looking for more resources on atheism. looks good.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games