Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
.::Introduce Yourself (or face a life of lurking...)::. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 59 60 61 62

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MemoriesThatKill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:30 pm
User Image

^^That is me.
My name is Lucien, and I am a homosexual male atheist. I was raised by parents who claimed to be Christian but never really did anything with it(as in didn't preach, didn't go to church, no crosses around the house, etc.). So I count myself as lucky. I was able to research and choose my own path. And boy did I research. Admittedly, I probably didn't research every religion, but the one's I could think of at least.

I have never really believed a god existed. I would like to say that there is a complicated reason as to why, but there really isn't any. It's very simple, from a child I would see in school and after school programs that people would suggest this "god" character who created the world, and even then it seemed so absurd. I think that the world would be a much darker place for me personally if the Judeo-Christian God actually existed and I knew about it. I couldn't live in a world with no justice.

Other than that stuff, I'm pretty cheery. I like to do things to get reactions out of people, mostly in public places. I like to play video games and dance. My favourite show is House MD. I live in Alaska right now, and contrary to poular belief, it is a shithole full of drunks, druggies, Desperate women and criminals. I grew up in Ohio until I was 19 years old. I will be 20 this February 28th. I am currently taken by a gorgeous man in the Air Force. I'm not sure what else to say, other than "HELLO!" (^_^)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm
Welcome, Lucien! _ I'm fairly new here myself.

Interesting to hear a different perspective on Alaska than the one those Discovery channel documentaries spit out.

And I agree that you are very lucky to have parents that allowed you to think for yourself rather than force feeding you dogma and doctrines just because that was their choice.  

Edible Jennann

Lord Maxdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm
A slightly old picture of me.
User Image
Hello, I'm Max, a fat 17 year old with a decently thick beard. That is pretty much it, that is my entire life story.

But, if one would like to know more. I love to study philosophy, religions, and just anything in general really. I love to read, yet still I find time to game and hang out with friends. Every wednesday usually me and my friends have some sort of get together or party, so don't expect me to ever be on late in the day on a wednesday. Before you say, "NERD," I already know I am one. I am a huge Star Wars fan/nerd. I love to read the books, play the games, and watch the movies. I somewhat tire of those people who believe they know a lot because they use Wookiepedia, I actually read any book I can get my hands on, and the comics if I feel like spending a bit of money. I almost forgot to mention, I love to write. Though if you don't like things that are too wording, or focus mainly on philosophy and and existence, then don't read anything of mine, though I wouldn't let you anyways.

Now yes, I'm an atheist, but I really don't live by being one. I'm just like any other person with a belief, and I will talk with others about theirs, but I like to keep the situation confortable for me and the other. If I feel that I may be offending them, I ask if I should change the subject, or if they would like to say something. Often I find myself to be quite level headed in situations where people have offended me, and I simply explain why I feel that way, and usually me and the person talking get to understand one another. I do not make it a goal to make people atheistic, I just wish for people to understand what I think, and why, as do I like to understand others. I simply feel that everyone should be able to get along.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 pm
Edible Jennann
Welcome, Lucien! _ I'm fairly new here myself.

Interesting to hear a different perspective on Alaska than the one those Discovery channel documentaries spit out.

And I agree that you are very lucky to have parents that allowed you to think for yourself rather than force feeding you dogma and doctrines just because that was their choice.

Thank you! (^_^)

Yeah, a lot of the documentaries on discovery channel are made with people who only work in Alaska part of the year and actually live somewhere else. Like fishermen and loggers. Once the season is over the head to what Alaskans call the "lower 48" which is any state other than Alaska or Hawaii. You can't go more than a mile without seeing at least 3 liquer stores. and 6 homeless people.

But yea, I guess my parents "Allowed" me to think for myself but it was more that they just didn't give a damn. My dad has probably never been sober for five minutes from one thing or another and my mom skipped off two counties over when I turned nine, so it was one of those "I raised myself" type things. heh. sweatdrop But it's all well and good because I am a better person for it. (^_^) And smarter at that. wink

MemoriesThatKill

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm
Lord Maxdom
User Image
Hello, I'm Max, a fat 17 year old with a decently thick beard. That is pretty much it, that is my entire life story.

But, if one would like to know more. I love to study philosophy, religions, and just anything in general really. I love to read, yet still I find time to game and hang out with friends. Every wednesday usually me and my friends have some sort of get together or party, so don't expect me to ever be on late in the day on a wednesday. Before you say, "NERD," I already know I am one. I am a huge Star Wars fan/nerd. I love to read the books, play the games, and watch the movies. I somewhat tire of those people who believe they know a lot because they use Wookiepedia, I actually read any book I can get my hands on, and the comics if I feel like spending a bit of money. I almost forgot to mention, I love to write. Though if you don't like things that are too wording, or focus mainly on philosophy and and existence, then don't read anything of mine, though I wouldn't let you anyways.

Now yes, I'm an atheist, but I really don't live by being one. I'm just like any other person with a belief, and I will talk with others about theirs, but I like to keep the situation confortable for me and the other. If I feel that I may be offending them, I ask if I should change the subject, or if they would like to say something. Often I find myself to be quite level headed in situations where people have offended me, and I simply explain why I feel that way, and usually me and the person talking get to understand one another. I do not make it a goal to make people atheistic, I just wish for people to understand what I think, and why, as do I like to understand others. I simply feel that everyone should be able to get along.

Greetings, Max! - Sounds like you are definitely a level-headed, easy going analytical thinker, which are all admirable qualities... Maybe an INTP on the old Myers-Briggs scale? - As for the "Nerd" title, most people that take the time to join up and post or participate on Gaia generally aren't going to cast a stone from their own glass house at you. Never fear. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:19 pm
Edible Jennann
Lord Maxdom
User Image

Greetings, Max! - Sounds like you are definitely a level-headed, easy going analytical thinker, which are all admirable qualities... Maybe an INTP on the old Myers-Briggs scale? - As for the "Nerd" title, most people that take the time to join up and post or participate on Gaia generally aren't going to cast a stone from their own glass house at you. Never fear. wink

INTP can describe me, yet it isn't a perfect fit. Thank you. And I am proud to be a nerd, it is a title I give myself really, though I don't define as others usually do.  

Lord Maxdom

AstroFemme

Hygienic Genius

4,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:50 am
Howdy AU, my name is Astrofemme (IRL Amber) I thought of joining this guild to be amongst my fellow Gaian members who also are non-believers.

This is me:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(yes that is my real hair and not a wig)

I am a girl gamer. I am an astrophysics major. For fun I like to read, dig in my garden, and cook. My favorite TV shows are Doctor Who, X-files, Red Dwarf, Dr. Katz, and the Simpsons. I have three ferrets, all of whom I adore - they are my babies.

I guess I will give a shortened story of how I became an Atheist, though I fear it may be anything but. Anyways, I was forced into Christianity after my mother met (and married) a man who filled his ex-con ways of life with religion to make up for his past wrong-doings. Well, at first it was pretty casual, however after a he was suspected for murder he went off to seminary for three months.

When he came back he was a completely changed man, he drew my mother deep into his religious insanity, and as a consequence I was dragged in as well. I lost my childhood to time spent in the church. I spent every summer in religious camps akin to Jesus camps. One there was a marriage ceremony between all the girls and Jesus Christ as the groom. When I hit puberty I was very pretty (I do not mean to sound like I am bragging, I am not) and guys were incredibly attracted to me, so he called me spawn of satan and tried to get my mother to send me away.

I became a recluse and turned to video games for comfort. He tossed all games and consoles that I had collected since I was a little girl. He would go through my personal belongings, and would read my notes, and destroy any pictures I had printed out of anime or video games. Eventually, my mother started standing up for my rights. She would allow me to go onto the internet and tell me the pc password. When he found out, he strangled my mother, and pointed a knife to her throat. At that point my mother realized what a farce the last decade had been. We left less than a month later.

The divorce was bitter, my mother was a single mother raising a teenage daughter alone. She turned to alcoholism and took her frustration out on me. The next five years were dark for me. My mother and I used to be so close.... (today our relationship is just starting to be repaired.)

During this time in my life I began to question my Christan values. After a long three months of soul searching, I reached the painful conclusion that God does not exist (though I told people I was agnostic.) I felt alone, and scared. I cried at night, wishing I could go back to believing, but knew it would be impossible.

So yes, with that being said... my name is Amber and I am an Atheist.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:01 am
MemoriesThatKill
Damn, Lucien. As a hetero guy ( don't let the avi fool you =P ), I gotta say your pic is hot.

AstroFemme
Gah, that sucks. I lived with my stepfather who was a junkie who used various anti-depressants to get over the loss of his grandmother and know what it can be like to go through that (rather than take my stuff for being evil, he'd sell any valuable birthday/christmass presants I got). Unfortunately I cannot relate to, but only offer my condolances for the attempted indoctrination you had to go through.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Edible Jennann

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 am
AstroFemme
Howdy AU, my name is Astrofemme (IRL Amber) I thought of joining this guild to be amongst my fellow Gaian members who also are non-believers.

This is me:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(yes that is my real hair and not a wig)

I am a girl gamer. I am an astrophysics major. For fun I like to read, dig in my garden, and cook. My favorite TV shows are Doctor Who, X-files, Red Dwarf, Dr. Katz, and the Simpsons. I have three ferrets, all of whom I adore - they are my babies.

I guess I will give a shortened story of how I became an Atheist, though I fear it may be anything but. Anyways, I was forced into Christianity after my mother met (and married) a man who filled his ex-con ways of life with religion to make up for his past wrong-doings. Well, at first it was pretty casual, however after a he was suspected for murder he went off to seminary for three months.

When he came back he was a completely changed man, he drew my mother deep into his religious insanity, and as a consequence I was dragged in as well. I lost my childhood to time spent in the church. I spent every summer in religious camps akin to Jesus camps. One there was a marriage ceremony between all the girls and Jesus Christ as the groom. When I hit puberty I was very pretty (I do not mean to sound like I am bragging, I am not) and guys were incredibly attracted to me, so he called me spawn of satan and tried to get my mother to send me away.

I became a recluse and turned to video games for comfort. He tossed all games and consoles that I had collected since I was a little girl. He would go through my personal belongings, and would read my notes, and destroy any pictures I had printed out of anime or video games. Eventually, my mother started standing up for my rights. She would allow me to go onto the internet and tell me the pc password. When he found out, he strangled my mother, and pointed a knife to her throat. At that point my mother realized what a farce the last decade had been. We left less than a month later.

The divorce was bitter, my mother was a single mother raising a teenage daughter alone. She turned to alcoholism and took her frustration out on me. The next five years were dark for me. My mother and I used to be so close.... (today our relationship is just starting to be repaired.)

During this time in my life I began to question my Christan values. After a long three months of soul searching, I reached the painful conclusion that God does not exist (though I told people I was agnostic.) I felt alone, and scared. I cried at night, wishing I could go back to believing, but knew it would be impossible.

So yes, with that being said... my name is Amber and I am an Atheist.

Hi Amber. Welcome... and I am very sorry to hear what you had to go through. It's funny how many people turn to religion as a way to stay out of trouble (jail,drugs, whatever) and it just causes more (trouble) of a different variety for themselves and others.

Astrophysics, huh? - Interesting. I adore Stephen Hawking and his take on theoretical physics but it has to be some what dumbed down for me to, sad to say... Bet looking up at the stars at night is a totally different experience for you, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:18 am
Hello guild! I've been in this guild for a loooong time, but I've just rediscovered it. :p Looking at the guilds I'm in and deciding if I should leave them. The guild seems good and intelligent, but a little... slow. Still, I want to introduce myself and stick around a bit. :]

Been an atheist since junior high/high school, but the idea of God has always been a little absurd to me. Interestingly enough, I think becoming best friends with a Christian in the first grade (ha, as if you can have any religion in the first grade) helped me eventually reason out my atheism. My dad was Catholic, but he wasn't tooooo big about pushing it (which he came to regret because he thought at the time that I would "come around"). When my friend and her parents started working their Christianity on me, all the stupid little discrepancies people care about so much made the whole thing absurd. My friend's church said God knows the future. My dad said he doesn't. Both basically argued with "because I say so". How the ******** are you supposed to decide what's correct? Eventually you figure out it's all bullshit. Nobody can prove s**t!

I consider my atheism to be a large part of my identity, although I'm not loud or obnoxious about it. Well, I hope.

It's interesting and sad to read some of your stories. I hope I can contribute and get to know some of you.  

Pallas Athea

6,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

ComradeCommissar1945

Lonely Smoker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 pm
Hey guys. My name is Austin. I've been in this guild for a very long time and just remembered that I was in it. rofl Anyway, I became an Atheist about 3 years ago. I finally realized that all the churches I went to were completely filled with hypocrites. They acted all saint-like while church was in session but, once they returned to the real world, they acted just the same as they did before going into church. The church also made me paranoid of every little thing that I did because I though if I messed up, even the slightest little bit, that I would be condemned to this "Hell" for all eternity. I see now that everything was a lie and I feel great now that I don't feel any guilt for anything that I do.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:28 pm
Ginnungagap
Hi everybody
um... I'm an atheist and a communist
nice to meet y'all

ohmygod a commie!!! just kidding whee
but anywho...
im merideth, and im and aithest
(hello merideth)
i often attempt humor, so humor me and laugh sometime
i accept any friend requests and will answer almost any quesstion so if you want to know anything,,just ask  

my warpaint is sharpie

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 59 60 61 62

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces