Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Catholicism and paganism. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:14 pm
Isn't Christmas somehow wrapped up in a Pegan or Celtic holliday?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:10 pm
Dathu
Isn't Christmas somehow wrapped up in a Pegan or Celtic holliday?

Erm yes, I believe so. I forget which one specifically at the moment.
Somehow, we know that Jesus was probably actually born in Spring, and yet his birth is celebrated in December. o_0  

iviary

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:10 pm
Most Christian holidays are just bastardized pagan holidays from different origins. The rabbit and the egg in easter are symbols of the goddess Bridget from... ugh, I can't remember where. Somewhere near the UK I belive, maybe Ireland. *shrugs*

Most holidays are taken from the soltices. Christmas is the Winter Soltice once celebrated as such:

The Ancient Roman Festival of Saturnalia

Saturnalia is one of the best known ancient celebrations of the Winter Solstice. The name comes from the Roman God Saturn, who ruled over agriculture. He was the main God honoured at this time, after the fall crops had been sown. Saturnalia lasted for several days (typically 7, but various officials changed the length of the festival on a few occassions). Saturnlia was the greatest festival of the Roman year, and was marked with great feasting, gift-giving, dancing, playing, and relaxing. Homes were decorated, work was suspended, and there was general merry-making done by all.

Lets see... another really popular thing that I know of is the May Pole. It symbolizes the fertility of the earth, the pole being a phallic figure penetrating the earth and thus creating life.

Hmmm... there are a lot of things that are converted pagan holidays/symbols. Just ask and I could help you out there.

And yes, in answer to the first post, I agree with everyone else. The Catholic faith is very hypocritical in more ways than one.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:39 pm
Catholics and Pagans are the same ******** thing.  

Kommisar_Kowl

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:49 pm
Evil_Alex37
Catholics and Pagans are the same ******** thing.
I think that's what this thread is hinting at.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 pm
a**l Jesus
Hyp-o-crits.
surprised

LMAO!!! That sounds like the official Catholic breakfast cereal.  

DivideByZero14

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:49 am
DivideByZero14
a**l Jesus
Hyp-o-crits.
surprised

xd xd xd Sprinkled with a touch of sugary Christ.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:03 am
Another thought to add is Mary, the virgin mother being added as a more higher, holy figure in the more recent years in order to give a relatable goddess figure to polytheists.  

iMito

E_Night

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:34 pm
PickleBoy
DivideByZero14
a**l Jesus
Hyp-o-crits.
surprised

xd xd xd Sprinkled with a touch of sugary Christ.
omg we could so sell that. have the cereal be in the shapes of crosses, that one star, a bible, a fish, and a really obese woman who makes her life in honor of the great lord. We can have comercials right after wife swap blaugh  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 pm
SPMito
Another thought to add is Mary, the virgin mother being added as a more higher, holy figure in the more recent years in order to give a relatable goddess figure to polytheists.
I always did feel that the feverish worshiping of Mary (and many other aspects of Catholicism) bordered polytheism.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:35 pm
Yay! (I'd say more but my brain stopped working halfway through Yay...)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff