Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The God Gene. ~*Please Read Whole First Post!*~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your blood decides how religious you are.
Likely.
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Possible.
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
What the hell ever!
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

Pistil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:20 pm
I've heard of the god gene before. I actually think my professor talked about it in one class last year.

To me, it's all a part of the blame game. People look for scapegoats for everything. If theists are eventually proven wrong without a doubt, they don't want to stay "Oops, my bad. I was duped." they want to say "Well, it's not my fault, my parents gave me a gene that predisposed me to be an idiot on the matter."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:33 am
Aw, about time! Finally a reason to make tons of babies! Gotta spread that atheist gene!  

Reichkovich

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 pm
Reichkovich
Aw, about time! Finally a reason to make tons of babies! Gotta spread that atheist gene!
blaugh Well, you might still be at a genetic predisposition. You were just smart enough to see past it. Until we are able to single out the gene that causes religious dependancy, we won't know who does and who does not have the "god gene." So if I were you, I'd wait a bit before trying to populate the earth with dogma resistant children.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:50 pm
It'd be nice if it were true, it would signify a new change in social evolution for the betterment of humanity.  

Dread Dionaea

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:14 pm
Aufstandkind
It'd be nice if it were true, it would signify a new change in social evolution for the betterment of humanity.

Yeah, it would. But I could see a whole lot of theists (mormans especially) that would have their partners "tested" to see if they have a strong god gene before having kids. This way they can make sure their children have a strong faith. Scary huh? The theists starting a program to populate the world with children who are at an extreme disposition to religious dependancy. *Shudders.*  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:22 am
I'd say it's more to do with your upbringing and environment.. but maybe there's a little aspect of genetics in there?  

Elliebites

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:18 pm
Elliebites
I'd say it's more to do with your upbringing and environment.. but maybe there's a little aspect of genetics in there?

I agree, environment (that includes upbringing) does reign supreme, but I still think the genetic influence is strong enough to deserve some recognition.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:48 am
Whether or not it is dictated by genetics, there is certainly a psychological disposition to spirituality. I once read a very interesting article (that I posted in another guild and can post here, too, if people would like that) that outlined the psychological difference between body and soul. Basically, we separate our bodies from our identities (or our souls, essentially) and that separation opens up the gateways to god (a bodiless soul) and an afterlife (a body dies, but a soul is eternal.)

Of course, the easy thing to say is "Society makes us that way!" but this same article also described several studies done on young children and infants that gave evidence to this separation.

However, the idea of my being an evolutionary anamolie (I know I spelled that wrong) makes me feel special.  

CleverScreenname

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:51 am
CleverScreenname
Whether or not it is dictated by genetics, there is certainly a psychological disposition to spirituality. I once read a very interesting article (that I posted in another guild and can post here, too, if people would like that) that outlined the psychological difference between body and soul. Basically, we separate our bodies from our identities (or our souls, essentially) and that separation opens up the gateways to god (a bodiless soul) and an afterlife (a body dies, but a soul is eternal.)

Of course, the easy thing to say is "Society makes us that way!" but this same article also described several studies done on young children and infants that gave evidence to this separation.

However, the idea of my being an evolutionary anamolie (I know I spelled that wrong) makes me feel special.

It's almost like "we are the chosen ones." If only we were immortal too. xd  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces