Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tirno

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:28 pm
Bluering Bearer
Zurgi
Yeah, Smaug is like Smowg. Which I found strange when I first read the notes on prononciation because I had been so used to saying it like Smog. Used to Smowg now, though xD

well, for me and for most french, we immediatly say "smowg" because "smog" sounds strange. But as I sais, it's the only word they pronounce well XD

Yeah, when pronouncing anything Elvish, I tend to use Spanish pronunciation because it's familiar and much more likely to hit the mark than English pronunciation.  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:35 pm
I know most of the pronunciations now anyways, so I don't have problems with it. If I come across a word or a name that I am unsure of, I either check Encyclopedia of Arda for their pronunciation, or I just check the note at the back of the Silmarillion.  

Zurgi

Tirno

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:01 am
Zurgi
I know most of the pronunciations now anyways, so I don't have problems with it. If I come across a word or a name that I am unsure of, I either check Encyclopedia of Arda for their pronunciation, or I just check the note at the back of the Silmarillion.

Yeah, when learning Quenya, it took me a while to learn how to pronounce some of it's sounds, but I'm still unsure of some of it (Palatized t and l, anyone?)  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:07 pm
Spanish and Portuguese accents are the most accurate accents to use in Sindarin. That's why I speak it so well, despite the fact that my vocabulary is limited.  

Menegil
Vice Captain

Tirno

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm
Menegil
Spanish and Portuguese accents are the most accurate accents to use in Sindarin. That's why I speak it so well, despite the fact that my vocabulary is limited.

Haha, yeah. For Quenya (and Sindarin, I would say as well, for the two Elven tongues are similar in pronunciation), Tolkien himself recommend Italian-like pronunciation, and I have heard a great many times of the similarity of Spanish and Italian, esp. in pronunciation. Btw, have you actually learned a measure of Sindarin, like grammar and such?  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am
The one peron I know who speaks alot of Sindarin, is Glorfirith Annun, aka Glorfy. Lindelea also speaks Elvish, but she knows more Quenya, I think.  

Thaxul

Bluering Bearer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:17 am
thaxul
The one peron I know who speaks alot of Sindarin, is Glorfirith Annun, aka Glorfy. Lindelea also speaks Elvish, but she knows more Quenya, I think.

I'm learning, but it's true they speak really good.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:36 pm
Bluering Bearer
thaxul

I'm learning, but it's true they speak really good.
I attempted to learn Quenya and Sindarin but soon got bored and gave up. I will most likely start again some day but not for a long long time.  

SYFFER

Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces