Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The High Kings of the Noldor Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elainya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:22 pm
If Tolkien were still alive, the story would still be changing, as I've reached the conclusion that he could never be 100% satisfied with it.

Great work on the chart! Don't worry, I understood all your explinations just fine. It was fun to read through it and watch the Noldor getting smaller, and smaller. ^,^ I would never have had the patience to do all that, so excellent!  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:20 pm
Edhellos
Okay. I admit it. I have no life.

Now that we got that out of the way: I have no desire to study for my stats and/or combinatorics exam. Therefore, I have found a way to pass the time.

You may skip this explanation if you wish
Quote:
A little bit of background: lately I've been a little obsessed with British Royal history (all the way back to Mary and Elizabeth I) and I've been reading about who enherited what, blabla. It works basically like this:
Male heirs have preference over female heirs. Even if the female is older, she gets bumped down. However, she can become Queen, and supposing everybody else dies, her children would become heirs. Sort of like Queen Elizabeth right now, she was the oldest daugther, so she became Queen when George VI died. Now her oldest son, Charles is the heir apparent.

Heir apparent means if the Queen/King dies, you will automatically become King. Heir presumptive means you will become King if the King dies without children, or your dad doesn't get any more boys after you.

Feel free to look this up on wikipedia, since I feel I have done a bad job at explaining. (Hence saying you could have skipped this xp )

So I decided to do see what the High Kings of the Noldor would have looked like if we followed the rules of British monarchy regarding the throne.
Surprisingly enough, it follows very closely the events of the Silmarillion. I am not trying to claim this is how the Noldor did it. I am just using sort of a backwards logic and it fitted, so I thought I would share.

I am following the genealogy of the Shibboleth, so for the confused, Finwe had three daughters with Indis apart from Fingolfin and Finarfin: Findis, Faniel and Irime. Also, Orodeth is Angrod's son and Gil-Galad is Orodeth's son. I have also chosen to count Amroth as Galadriel's son, because I like that. No other reason. I am also assuming Celebrimbor was born in Valinor.

So, in peaceful Valinor this is what the line of sucession to the throne was:

Quote:
Finwe, King of the Noldor

1. Feanor, heir apparent
2. Maedhros
3. Maglor
4. Celegorm
5. Curufin
6. Caranthir
7. Amrod
8. Amras

9. Fingolfin
10. Fingon
11. Turgon
12. Idril
13. Argon
14. Aredhel

15. Finarfin
16. Finrod
17. Angrod
18. Orodeth
19. Aegnor
20. Galadriel

21. Findis
22. Faniel?
23. Irime

Notice how far down the line Fingolfin is! sweatdrop Also, I have colored the different houses with different colors so we can see easily.

Immediately after the death of Finwe and during the March to Middle Earth:

Quote:
Feanor, King of the Noldor

1. Maedhros, heir apparent
2. Maglor
3. Celegorm
4. Curufin
5. Caranthir
6. Amrod
7. Amras

8. Fingolfin
9. Fingon
10. Turgon
11. Idril
12. Argon
13. Aredhel

14. Finarfin
15. Finrod
16. Angrod
17. Orodeth
18. Aegnor
19. Galadriel

20. Findis
21. Faniel?

22. Irime

The italics means the person was close to dying or did not pursue the March.

After the death of Feanor:
Quote:
Maedhros, King of the Noldor

1. Maglor, heir presumptive
2. Celegorm
3. Curufin
4. Caranthir
5. Amrod

6. Fingolfin
7. Fingon
8. Turgon
9. Idril
10. Aredhel

11. Finrod
12. Angrod
13. Orodeth
14. Aegnor
15. Galadriel

16. Irime

Now, Maedhros gives up the Kingship. I equate this with an abdication. In this case, you reliquinship all claims to the throne for your descendents too. Maedhros took out the Feanorians out of the succession.

EDIT: During the captivity of Maedhros, I suppose Maglor would have taken over as High King.

This is what it looks like now:
Quote:

Fingolfin, King of the Noldor
1. Fingon, heir apparent
2. Turgon
3. Idril
4. Aredhel
5. Maeglin

6. Finrod
7. Angrod
8. Orodeth
9. Aegnor
10. Galadriel

11. Irime

However, after the death of Aredhel, everybody gets bumped up
Quote:

Fingolfin, King of the Noldor
1. Fingon, heir apparent
2. Turgon
3. Idril
4. Maeglin

5. Finrod
6. Angrod
7. Orodeth
8. Aegnor
9. Galadriel

10. Irime

I am unsure when Irime died. For fun, let's assume she died around the same time Fingolfin did. If you dislike this, feel free to add her at the end of the list from now on. It doesn't make much difference.

So after the Dagor Bragollach and the events closely following it:

Quote:
Fingon, King of the Noldor
1. Turgon, heir presumptive
2. Idril
3. Maeglin

4. Finrod
5. Orodeth
6. Erenion
7. Finduilas
8. Galadriel

Aegnor and Angrod died, and I have added the children of Orodeth around this time. It is questionable they were born around this time, but not very crucial.

After the episode of Luthien and Beren, Finrod died and he had left the person immediately after him (Orodeth) in charge of Nargothrond.

Quote:
Fingon, King of the Noldor
1. Turgon, heir presumptive
2. Idril
3. Maeglin

4. Orodeth
5. Erenion
6. Finduilas
7. Galadriel

After the Nirnaeth:
Quote:
Turgon, King of the Noldor
1. Idril, heiress presumptive
2. Maeglin

3. Orodeth
4. Erenion
5. Finduilas
6. Galadriel

After the fall of Nargothrond
Quote:
2. Maeglin

3. Erenion
4. Galadriel

After the coming of Tuor to Gondolin:

Quote:
2. Earendil
3. Maeglin

4. Erenion
5. Galadriel

Maeglin got bumped down! surprised

Immediately after the fall of Gondolin, this is what the situation looked like:
Quote:
Idril, Queen of the Noldor?!
1. Earendil, heir apparent

2. Erenion
3. Galadriel

However, after staying a bit with Cirdan, Idril and Tuor left. Once again, and very controversially, I interpret this as an abdication. Earendil is removed from the line of succession.

Quote:
Erenion, King of the Noldor
1. Galadriel, heiress presumptive

Doesn't this make more sense now??? That Gil-Galad would be the next? It fits perfectly!

This remains unchanged for about an Age, changing only because of Galadriel's children:

Quote:
Erenion, King of the Noldor
2. Galadriel, heiress presumptive
3. Amroth
4. Celebrian

After Gil-Galad's death, Galadriel is finally due to the throne. However, few Noldor remained. I also don't think Galadriel was very interested in being the High Queen after all that had happened, and all the things she was doing at the time.

So here ends the line of the High Kings.

Thank you for reading all this. Feel free to ask me questions stressed xp sweatdrop

EDIT: I have corrected what Falathrim pointed out about Celebrimbor.
Quote:
Falathrim
Other stuff to add... If Celebrimbor is indeed a Feanorian (that's one of thsoe details Tolkien never really settled), then he couldn't have been born in Valinor; or so says the Shibboleth, which claims that only two children in the third generation from Finwe went into exile. These were Idril and Orodreth.

Excellent point. I missed that detail. If that's the case, Celebrimbor does not belong in the three places where the Feanorions are still in position to claim the throne. I will have to edit that.

Two things...
1. You have no life
2.Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!  

Crazymexican101

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:29 pm
xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:20 am
Ai! Amazing work, Edhellos!  

Menegil
Vice Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 am
I agree ^^  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:41 am
O wow, that was certainly...enlightening, at least Galadriel still plays a large role in Middle Earth history, even though she didn't become high queen of the Noldor.

....also don't you think it places alot of pressure on Celeborn? To have such a high profiled wife?  

Rudhe
Captain

Eudor16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:06 pm
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This post is great, I'm sure you spent a lot of time doing it, but don't worry is totally worth it.

LOVE YOU  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:19 pm
I think it was surely stressful, but sadly we don't learn much about him  

churrlo

Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items