Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*Ria High School*~

Back to Guilds

Good ol' fashion Magical High school RPing. 

Tags: High School, Magic, Ria RP, Role Playing, Semi-lit 

Reply Lil' Ria Bag (The creative Corner)
The Distinction of Rank (Plz read, for literature's sake!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Enjou_Garyuu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:08 am
Now it's not yet edited, it's just the first draft, however, I would like to know what you think, and if you would like to read it. Please do not coment of spelling or gramer, cause I suck at that. Also, take care to remember that his is a period book, it takes place in england, 1794. It's a ******** romance/suspence okay, so don't be all like "EWWWWW!!!! Now I don't wana read it!"

And Now...(Oh god my insides are churning...)...My Book!

The Distinction of Rank

Chapter One: A letter to Alexandria

3 July 1794
Heartridge Hall
Eastwood
Windshire

Dear, Alexandria

I have been well, although I wished that I could have answered your letter sooner. But some unexpected things have come up, and I had no time other than now to write. My dearest sister, I write to you to tell you some things that even I myself, find strange and bizare, and yet I do not know what to make of them. It started, Alexandria, on wensday the 15th of June, when I was forced to hold a party, for Miss Whitehall, for as you well know, she is staying with her brother here, and she insisted on a party. So, I invited all our friends, and soon after the party had begun, I was outside, when I spied out of the corner of my eye, something across the lake. When I looked closer, I saw that is was someone, not something. But who ever they were, they saw me, and ran like hound after a fox, and was soon out of sight. Now, I thought it was nothing at the time, but two weeks ago, I was reading your letter in the breakfast room, when all of a sudden, I looked out the window, and across the feild, I saw them again. This time they were close enough for me to see what they looked like. I could see that they were dressed in a shirt and trousers, yet they had no boots on! Just their bare feet. By now I could plainly see that this was a man, and yet something about him, was unlike a man. He had short brown hair, that came only to his shoulders, and I could not see his face, yet I knew he saw me, when he ran off. After settleing my business afairs, and entertaining Mr. and Miss Whitehall, I came to write this letter to you. I do not know if I should dwell on this stranger, but I find his behavour very perplexing, and I think I should look into it.(Excuse me dear sister, Miss Whitehall just walked in, and after inqureing as to what I was doing, said "I hope that she will join us soon, for I dearly wish to see her again, and I hope that she makes shure that Edmund is not to troublesome.") Anyway, Alexandria, I hope that you write back soon, and tell Edmund that I give my warmest wishes.

Your loving brother,

William Gregory Flint the third

"Mr. Flint? Have you finished your letter." Asked Miss Whitehall, surpressing a yawn, a book in her hands. She smiled as sweetly as she could and said "For I do hope that you are finished, for you did promise to play a game of cards this evening, I have not forgoten you see!"

William sanded his letter, and after carefuly folding it in precice thirds, and sealing it, said "I did indeed. But first lst us find your brother, I'm shure he would love a game of cards as well." Miss Whitehall's smile seemed to fade at this last sentance, but none the less, she stood up, and placing her book down, gave his a sly smile.

"I'm shure my brother my brother would love to join us Mr. Flint, if only, however, he would spend less time reading in your library, and more time with you. It would do him good, to be with a real gentleman, instead of those books." Miss Whitehall threw William a sardonic smile and said "But then again, mabye if he stays locked up in your library more often, I will never have to see him again."

"I'm shure that you can not think that way Miss Whitehall, for your brother gets more enjoyment out of my books than he does anything else. And I'm shure that you only want him to be happy." William offered his arm to Miss Whitehall, after he had put his letter in the tray from witch the letters were colected., for witch she was glad, because she desprately wanted for him to do so. She wraped her arm around his, and the bolth began walking in the direction of the library.

"My brother, Mr. Flint, is to much of a hopeless romantic. He is alwase flirting with young woman, and can never seem to pick one. He falls in and out of love faster than a hare has kits. I do hope he finds some one soon, for if he does not, we shall never be settled in one place. Alwase moving about the contary, never in the same hous for more than four months." William let Miss Whitehall talk, for he was not really listening. His mind was fixed on that man he had seen. Who are you? Why are you here? Why do you alwase runaway? William do not dwell on it, you must put it out of your mind. You must not think about it untill Alexandria answers your letter. William let a small sigh escape from him.

"Now really Mr. Flint, there is no need to feel that way. It's not like my brother will fall head over heels over some poor, servant girl!" Miss Whitehall exclaimed at William's sigh.

"What? Oh! No Miss Whitehall, I was not dissaproving over your opinions, I was mearly thinking..." William's words drifted off, and Miss Whitehall lifted a slender eyebrow, her eyes drilling into the side of his head.

"And what is it that you are thinking of sir? Come! I must know what would destract you from my words." Miss Whitehall smiled slightly as they entered the library, but before William could answer her, Jhonathan Whitehall stood up and after looking at his sisters expression, roled his eyes, and smiled.

"Flint! I was just about to come find you." Whitehall gave William a sly smile, and looking once more at his sister, said "But perhaps you two would prefer to be alone." Miss Whitehall's eyes brightened for a moment, but before Whitehall could even take a step tword the door William gave him a stern "That will not be nessicary" look.

"Actualy Whitehall, Miss Whitehall and I were just about to invite you to play cards with us in the drawing room, for I promiced her that I would, and I thought you would like to join us." William's eyes were percing and sharp. Come on Whitehall, don't make me do this alone. Miss Whitehall was looking just as ernestly at her brother as William was, only Whitehall feared his friends gaze more, than his sisters, and with a reluctant glare at William, accepted his offer. Miss Whitehall, could not have been more dissapointed as they all walked into the drawing room. William's thoughts and feelings for the rest of the evening were as stern and uncomfortable as when he had first finished his letter, and Miss Whitehall had suggested that they play cards.

Later that evening,he had wandered back upstairs, and into his bedroom. He threw his coat in his chair, and his waistcoat, and neckcloth soon folowed. Soon after this, his Valet appeared, and helped him into his night clothes. He climbed into his bed, and rested his head onto his pillow. My god that woman can talk. Half of the evening was filled with her voice pearceing the silence. William shifted slightly as he tried to remember the evening. Ah yes... he thought, becoming more comfortable. It really got anoying when she started sugesting that Whitehall buy an estate close to here...

"..And you can come to visit all the time Jhonathan, and read as offten as you like!" Miss Whitehall's voice was shrill and pearcing to William's ears, and it had taken all his efort not to place his fingers in his ears to drown you Miss Whitehalls horible voice. Although normaly he liked the tone of her voice, when she was implying something, or was teasing, her voice reached a high piched tone that William hated. William slaped down several cards, and turning twords her, he would have opened his mouth to say something, if her brother had not said something first.

"Well I would gladly buy an estate here in Windshire, but as you know there are no houses available, and I doubt that Flint would lease Heartrige Hall to me." Said Whitehall, hiding a sardonic smile behind his hand, and placed one card on the table. "Flint, I'm bored of this game, shall we get the cribbage board that you got from london and have a little more fun?"

"Hm? The cribbage board? Well if you insist, but I warn you, I'm better at cribbage than at cards." Said William standing up, and walking over to the desk in the corner.

"And he's pritty good at cards to begin with." Said Whitehall in hushed tones to his sister. Miss Whitehall alowed her brother to gather up her cards, and slowly rose from her chair. "Are you not going to play with us Catherine?" Whitehall asked, a puzzled look on his face. "Or have you had enough of cards."

"I have had my fill of cards for the evening Jhonathan, and I think I am going to bed. For it is quite late, and I do want to look good for tomarow, for as you well know, Mrs. Churchill and I are to go into the town and visit Mr. Smith to inquire after our dresses that we ordered." Miss Whitehall then threw William a small smile, and quit the room. Whitehall let out a sigh of relif as soon as his sister was out of sight.

"Well now that we have the evening to ourselfs Flint, shall I send for some brandy?" Asked Whitehall grining broadly as he looked up at William, who had just retrived the cribbage board, and sat down at the card table.

"Yes that would be lovely Whitehall. Please ask for the Eau-de-vie fine De Clair de lune please." Said William, rubing his temples after he had taken out the pegs and placed them on the board.

"Eau-de-vie fine De Clair de lune? What is that exactly Flint?"

"It is som highly illeagle French brandy that was given to me by a friend." William called a servant over, and asked for the brandy, and then turned back to Whitehall and said "So Whitehall, how is your mother as of late? I have not seen her sence I visited London, last year."

"She is well, but sometimes she fakes ill to get away from my sister. I do not blame her. Catherine is...well you know how she can get! You saw her, just now! How she acts, how she talks, one could almost think that she was royalty the way she balthers on about me taking a house in Windshire! You know very well I could never aford it." Whitehall shufled the cards, and delt their hands, not really paying attention to what he was doing, and delt half the deck before William could stop him. Whitehall gave a slight smile and handed the deck over to William, who shufled it properly, and delt them each six cards. "But really Flint, Catherine is such a bother. I mean, has Alexandria ever acted like that!"

William could not help but imagine his sister, dressed up in one of Miss Whitehall's favorite gowns and talking about someone, how they acted, or how they should dress. William as supressed a hearty laugh, he took a large sip of brandy that had just been placed in front of him. "I can only say that I am glad that my sister has never in her life acted like that, and that I hope she never will."

With that last sentance, the conversaiton had ended, and they only talked of the card game or of the ride they were to go on the next day. William lay on his back, staring up at the canopy of his four poster bed. Well I am very glad that Alexandria does not act so. I would hate to have a sister that would act that way, acting as if she was high and mighty, and above the rest of her company. As William dozed of so sleap, the image of Alexandria in a long silk gown with a long fether coming out of the top of her head, and her head held high, telling him something about how he should dress, appeared, and he almost laughed. My mother and Father, and I raised her better than that! William sighed as he let sleep take hold of him, and thought no more.

William woke up, as was his habit, at a brisk six o'clock. He was dressed, and in the library by six thirty, a cup of coffie in one hand, and a newspaper in the other. As he read his newspaper, he gently lifted his cup to his lips, and took a large sip. After about an hour and a half of reading, he could hear Miss Whitehall's voice coming from upstairs. He quickly finished his third cup of coffie, and whent to the breakfast room, where he found Mr. Whitehall beeming at him. "Well I'm glad to see you up and about Flint. After breakfast we hope we shall be in the saddle, as to our prior arangement?" He said, as William sat down, and took a fresh cup of coffie from the table.

"Indeed, I do hope we shall, for nothing calls to me more, this morning, than a good long ride I ashure you." William took a long sip from his cup, and before Whitehall had time to answer, Miss Whitehall walked into the room. After William and Whitehall made their respective bows, Miss Whitehall sat down, and served herself to the food in front of her.

"I do hope, Mr. Flint, that you have ordered our carage for Mrs. Curchill and I, for I do not wish to be late." Miss Whitehall eyed her brother and William suspishiously. "So dear brother, what are your plans for this morning?" Whitehall gave William with a "Please don't make me answer her" look, and with a returning "Oh all right" glance, Whitehall gave a reliveing sigh.

"Actualy, Miss Whitehall, your brother and I were going on a ride after breakfast, for we had talked about it last night, and I do long for a good ride. With all the bad weather we have been having as of late, we would have kicked up so much mud, you wouldn't have recognised us." William took a sip of coffie as Miss Whitehall smiled slightly.

"Well I do hope you have a good ride, for I will be gone all afternoon, and will not be back till dinner, I am shure." Whitehall looked at his sister and smiled. He knew what his sister was up to, as well as William. However, William was in a good mood today, and he was not going to easly persaided into a conversation about how much he shall miss her. Breakfast whent rather smoothly, only with the ocasional "Come now Catherine, do not say such things!" from her brother, and, a sharp reply afterward. When breakfast was over, however, William walked up to his room, and was dressed for riding. He walked down the stairs, only to find Whitehall's bright and cheary face, staring up at him.

"Well I'm glad to see that you are dressed Whitehall, for it does take you an awful long time to do so." Said William, swerving around Whitehall, as he headed twords the front doors, Whitehall at his heels.

"What are you talking about man? I was downstairs before you were." Whitehall smiled as he tried to keep up with William, who's stride was slightly longer than his.

"Yes you were, but I whent to change twenty minets after you did. You know very well that I change faster than you do." William smiled at they left the house, and were now on their way ot the stables. The summer air was wonderful, perfect for rideing, and the weather could not have been better. The trees by the lake in front of the house were rustleing slightly in the breeze as they made their way over to the stables. As they entered, William's horse, Warrick, nickered at the sight of his master. As the stable boy helped him onto his horse, Whitehall's horse, Alastair, had tuged on his reains, and the goom who was holding them, fell to the ground. After laughing so hard, that he nearly fell out of the saddle, William colected himself, and as soon as Whitehall had gotten on his horse, they were off, into the contryside.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am
Chapter Two: That was a lady?

That evening was spent with Miss Whitehall and Mrs.Churchill talking about Heartrige Hall, and how much they enjoyed it, while William and Mr.Whitehall were talking about a hunting party. William had a new dog that he had to train, and Whitehall had a new gun to try. While the two men talked, William could overhear Miss Whitehall telling Mrs.Churchill "...oh yes, the grounds are delightful, and the house is so beautiful. There are so many fine portraits, like this one of the late Mr.Flint." William glanced over at them, and saw Miss Whitehall gesure to the painting of his father on the wall. "And I'm shure that Mr.Flint will be just as handsome as his father, if not more so. Yes I think anyone would be glad to be the misteress of such a place." William turned back to his friend, and smiled.

"What is it that they are saying Flint? For as you well know, my ears are not as finely tuned as yours are. What is it that they are speaking of?" Said Whitehall, an eyebrow raised is curiosity, a quizical smile upon his lips. William sighed, and told his friend what he had overheard. Whitehall's face seemed to take on a sardonic sort of expression as he said "More handsome than your father? Well that's very likely, after all, your mother was a very handsome lady, as was your father."

"Yes my father was a handsome man." Said William looking up at the painting of his father, a small smile on his face.

"I did not say you father was a handsome man, I said 'Your mother was a very handsome lady, as was your father.'" Said Whitehall, realizing that he had far oversteped his limits, when William gave him a stern hawk like glare, his eyes flashing with anger. " I am sorry Flint. I apologise for my rude behaveyour." William's expression softend at this, and William accpeted his apology. With a heart felt sigh of relif, Whitehall said "Well I shall say one thing. With all this flatery from my sister, you shall never have to be flattered again." William heartly agreed. While they were about to rise to go to the library for the evening, Miss Whitehall called out to them. They bolth reluctantly rose and walked over to the ladys.

"Mr. Flint, Mrs.Churchill and I are having a bit of a delema. Would you help settle it?" Said Miss Whitehall, giving her friend a sly glance, a sly smile placed upon her lips.

"Cirtanly Miss Whitehall. I would be glad to offer any service I can, so long as I don't have to do anything that involves me looking stupid in some way." Said William bowing. Whitehall, who had steped to the side, was glaring at his sister. What is she up to? Thought William, looking at Whitehall's expression, and then looking back at his sister.

"Mrs.Churchill says that your father is very handsome, but I think that your mother was more so. Whitch do you think is more handsome?" Miss Whitehall looked expectantly at William, as did her friend. She was tring to lure him into a trap. William smiled and gave her the answer that she did not want to hear.

"Why, I can not say. For I find bolth my parents equaly handsome. And now, Miss Whitehall, your brother and I are going to the Library, so that you may talk to your friend." And with a quick bow, William and Whitehall quit the room before Miss Whitehall could say a word. Whitehall slaped a hearty hand on William's back laughed.

"Well done! Well done indeed. I have never seen anyone dissapoint my sister like that before. I'm proud of you." He laughed once more, and alowed William to join in. William and Whitehall walked down the hall, and when they cam to the library, the door was closed. "Did you leave this door closed Flint?" Asked William's friend. When William answered that he had not, he opened the door slowly to the most extrodanart sight he had ever seen.

There in the room was the man that William had seen from out his window, and from across the lake. Only this, was no man. It was a woman, dressed in a white shirt, and a waistcoat with tan trousers, and bare feet. She had brown hair that came down to her shoulders, and a look of compleat shock on her face at being descovered. Before William had time to think, she was across the room and had one foot on the open windowsill. "Stop!" He cried, but he was to late. She was soon out the window, and running across the grounds. William stuck his head out the window just in time to see her dissapear into the night. "Who was that?!" Cried William more to himself than to his friend.

"That, my dear friend, was a lady." Said Whitehall poking his head out the window as well.

"That was a lady? Never in all my life have I seen such a strange girl." Said William pulling his head back into the room. He walked about the room, looking to see if this strange girl had taken anything, but he found that nothing was missing. However, he saw a letter, and a box, about the size of a large book, on the desk. He quickly picked up the letter first, and opened it. Then, as Whitehall sat down, began to read alowed.

Dear Mr. Flint,

Do not be alarmed at finding this letter sir, for it does not contain anything worth being alarmed over, nor being worried about. In fact sir, in only contains a story. My name, is Elizabeth Elder. I am your cousan, on your mothers side. Your aunt, Gloria Elder, was my step mother. You see, Mr. Flint, my father, Ichibod Elder, was an infamos violinist. When he first married, he had intended to have a son. However, my mother gave birth to me, and died for it. By the time I was seventeen, my good father had decided to marry again. To your aunt. About 4 years ago, my father and your aunt died, and my father's estate, and money, goes to you, witch you recived. However, this left me without any money, or any place to live. Now, to the point. My father, asked me on his death bed, to give you part of your inheritance that was not writen about in the will, for fear of spies. Yes, Mr.Flint spies.

William stoped at this point, and turned tword his friend, and said "Spies?".
Whitehall shruged and asked him to read on. Willaim, still a little puzzled, read on.

You see Mr. Flint, my father obtained this in france when he was visiting a friend there. He was invited to a private ball, and attended. He was asked to play the violin for his host, and when he was done, a man in the crowd claped and cheared without stop. When the man introduced himself, it was none other than Louis XV! The king of france! He gave my father, five jewels, A ruby, a saphire, an emrald, a jade, and a dimond. Now, these jewels are priceless, and he gave them to me, to give to you when you were six-and-twenty. Now in that box are all the jewels, exept the dimond, witch, is kept hidden from all the others. I shall go to it's hiding place, in three days time. Before I go, however, I shall check up on you to see if you recive this letter, or if they have been stolen, or just to make shure you are safe.

Your faithful servant,

Elizabeth Marie Elder

William stood in shock, staring at the elagant signiture at the bottom of the page. He quickly set the letter down, and picked up the box. It was heavy enough to have four jewels in it. William took a deap breath, and opened the box. Four gleaming stones on velvet were inside, just as the letter had said, there was a ruby, a saphire, a emerald, and a jade, all about the size of a fist.. William's jaw droped, and so did his friend's as looked over William's shoulder. "My dear god. They're beautiful!" Said Whitehall, as the jewels hit the lamp light. William heartly agreed. William took the ruby out of the box and held it up to the light. It was a deep blood red, and when the light hit it just right, it filled the whole room with red light. William placed it back in the box and cleared his throat.

"Well Whitehall, I think, that I should put this someplace for safe keeping." Said William puting the lid back on the box, and seting it down on the table. He then sat down in a chair, and started rubbing his temples vigerously. "I don't know what to make of this! Whay did she have to jump out a window? Why could she not just tell me, or for god's sake, come to me and give it to me herself?" William snorted in frushtration. His friend stood very quietly, and soon sat down himself.

"Well, she did say that these jewels were priceless, and she did say something about spies. Perhaps these jewels are being sought after, and she had to keep it a secrate for your safety." Said Whitehall, smiling. William knew he was tring to chear him up, for he knew that when William started thinking to much, he could go for days on end without sleeping a wink. William however, was persuaided to chear up. He had to, for his healths sake, and for his sister, who alwase worried about him when he was in this state. William looked up at his friend's face, and rolled his eyes. He then cracked a grin, and Whitehall gave a sigh of relif. They bolth laughed, and after William had put the box in a safe behind a bookshelf, sat back down, and talked for the rest of the evening about the hunting party that they were planing.

Out on the grounds, hiding in a bush, was a girl, only about 21, watching the two men in the library. One was slightly tall, with sandy blond hair, and a sweet smile. He was laughing about something, while the other was very tall, almost six feet by her couculation, with light brown hair, and a very handsome face. She crept closer, not so close as to be seen, but just enough to be able to see his face really well. His smile was small, but the expression in his eyes were wonderful, and the way he held himself was very comanding, and very supirior. His friend, had a very sweet smile, and a laugh that seemed contagous, for when he laughed, the other laughed as well. The girl could not help but laugh a little at the expression on the blond's face. Soon afterward, however, she heard a noise, and qickly jumped back ward. She stayed perfectly still, and realizing it was only a bird, gave a sigh of relif. She smiled, and taking one last look at the brown haired man, ran into the forest.

The next morning, William woke up to the sound of birds outside his window. He looked up and seeing a bird on his windowsill, smiled, and stood up, and opened his window, and streched out his hand. The bird seemed vastly happy at this, and jumped into his hand. William brought the bird to his bedside table, and opened the drawer, and pulled out a small bag of birdfeed. He opened up the bag, and pulled out a pinch of birdseeds, and put it in the hand the bird was in. The bird tweeted in delight, and pecked every last seed out of his hand. Afterward, the bird looked at William, and he raised an expectant eyebrow as if to say "Well?". The bird's little chest puffed up, and he sang a song for William in gratitude. After the song was done, William took the bird over to the window, and the bird flew off. "Your welcome!" Cried William after the bird, and he closed the window. William sighed, and was dressed and in his library, a cup of coffee in his hand, and a pacage in the other by six thirty sharp. He tore off the brown paper, and the cover of a brand new book emerged. It was as he thought. The new book he had sent for had come, The battle of Caodz. The cover seemed to glisten in the sunlight escapeing from the window. He beemed down at his book, and taking a sip of coffee, opened it up to the first page, but before he could read even a word, Miss Whitehall walked into the room. William stood up and bowed, and thought Why does she alwase have such perfect timing? She curtsyed and with slight smile, iquired after what he was doing. He replied, and added "Is Mr.Whitehall, in the breakfast room?". When she answered his with an afirmitave, he quickly bowed, and quit the room. He walked into the breakfast room, and said "Whitehall, I just opened my book, when, of all people, your sister walked in.". William quickly sat down in his usual chair, and took a peace of toast and buttered it.

"Yes, my sister does have extraordinary timing when it comes to those sort of things." Said Whitehall, looking up from his newspaper,and watching William take a bite out of his toast. "You of all people should know my sisters uncanny ability to interupt inportant things, or ruin a person's day." Whitehall dissapeared behind his newspaper before William had time to glare at him. William sighed, and started eating his bacon. "Flint, this is very interesting. Yes, very interesting indeed." Said Whitehall, leaning closter to his newspaper, a curious look in his eye.

"And what, may I inqire, is so interesting, as to catch your eye?" Said William glancing over at his friend, who was now so leaned forward looking at his newspaper, that the corner of it was in his tea.

"This, Flint, listen to this." Said Whitehall a look of delight and interest on his face as he read alowed.

Only five days ago, Mr.Carlson, the local bucher, was startled to find a twenty one year old girl in his house, with his food in her hands. She had apparently come through the window to steal a loaf a bread, and some meat, when she saw part of the house on fire, Mr.Carlson's two year old baby traped inside. The girl apparently put out the fire, saved the baby, took the bread and meat, and left a note and book. The note had an apology for taking the food, and a hope that the book would be a good substitute for the food.

Whitehall sat in his chair beeming at the expression of shock on his friend's face. "Now what do you make of that! Your Miss Elder is not only a theif, she is a heroin, and a lover of books as well. Now what do you think of that!" Said Whitehall slaping down the newspaper down on the table. The glint in Whitehall's eye was expectantly awaiting an answer. William took a sip of coffee before he answered, gently seting it down, and turning twords his friend.

"I think nothing of it Whitehall." Said William, a siplistic look on his face. "Why, am I suposed to make something of that? How do you know that that was Miss Elder? For all you know, it could have been your sister."

"Come now man! My sister? Never. She hates books, and would never set foot in a bucher shop, let alone threw the window. No this has to be Miss Elder, I am sure of it!" Whitehall smiled and said " Here is my proof. When you left the library, last night, I was looking for something to read, when I noticed that several of your books were misplaced, in fact, one of them was upsidedown! And I know you would never read Romeo and Juliet again, for you have already read that book several times." Whitehall puffed out his chest with pride, knowing that he had won. William smiled, and placed a hand over his heart, as if to agknowlage a direct hit.

"You have won the battle, good sir, but you have not yet won the war. It shall not be certain till Miss Elder admits it herself, and that is the end of it." William stood up, and threw down his napkin. "I shall get dressed for our hunting party, Whitehall, and would you be so kind as to tell me, who is coming?" Said William as Whitehall pulled our a peace of paper.

"Let's see, Mr.Denny, Mr.DeBois, he's new in the neborhood and I took the liberty of inviting him. Hmm...Lets see...Ah! Mr.Crawford, and Mr.Atkins." Whitehall smiled up at William as the names were checked off the list. William stood still for a moment, and then lightened his expression.

"Well I'm glad to see that someone other than myself, has taken the liberty of doing my business afairs. Maybe you could, pay my bills as well?" William said, in a hushed tone. Whitehall cracked a grin, and heartly consented to this, but only if William would consent to his marrying Alexandria. "Marry my sister?! No no, god forbid! I would never alow it, if that is the case. No, the only man who will marry my sister, is the man who proves he is worthy, and truely loves her." William gave Whitehall a hearty bow, and bit him good day. As William was heading twords the stairs, Miss Whitehall appeared, in a lavender silk dress.

"Oh Mr.Flint, I was just about to come looking for you! I found a book in your library that is so troublesome to read. It is in latin, and you know I am very fluint in latin, however, I can not quite make out a certian word. Could you help me sir?" Said Miss Whitehall, blinking up at him. William straigtned his back and tried to think of a reason not to.

"I'm sorry Miss Whitehall, but I was just about to get my hat and coat, for you see, your brother and I had planed for a shooting party. However, I am not doing anything afterward. When we get, back, I shall be delighted to halp you." And with a quick bow, and a spring in his step, William was up the stairs, and walking down the hall way to his room. He smiled and thought Well a good hunt is all you need Flint. Thats all you need to get over this strange and perplexing business of "Miss Elder, the thiefing heroin, who in her spare time, breaks into peoples houses, and reads their books." William laughed at this as he entered his room, and shut the door. Yes Miss Elder, I wonder what you shall do next?

At about ten o'clock, William was in the Drawing room with the etire party, exepting Whitehall, and William was starting to get nevous. He was not afraid that something had happened to his friend, he was only afraid of Miss Whitehall showing up, or being alone with the men that Whitehall had invited. William finaly had some relif at seeing his friend finaly walk into the room, and with a hearty cry of "Well then! Shall we?" they were off over the fields and over the river. As the rest of the party walked on ahead, William stayed behind. He prefered to be alone for a while before he had to kill a few birds, and eventualy, the rest of the party was out of sight. William smiled as he walked over the grounds, and through the forests, he had alwase loved his home, even when he was a little boy, he loved running through the fields, and climbing trees. Very suddenly, William came across a tree, a huge oak, and decided to take a break. He sat down at the foot of the tree, and pulled out a small flask of water that he had in his pocket. William was in midswig, when out of the corner of his eyes, he saw something moving in the bushes not 5 yards away. William placed his flask back into his pocket, and slowly stood up. Step by step, he came closer and closer to the bush untill eventualy, he could see someone in it. William pushed away some branches, to revieal, a girl, of about one-and-twenty, sleeping peacefuly, her breath deep and shalow.

"Elizabeth!" Wispered William. He claped a hand over his mouth as Elizabeth stired. However, she did not wake up, and William breathed a sigh of relief. He was torn between two options. One, was to wake her up, and then she might get away. Or, to let her sleep, and take her back to the house. As William thought over this, Whitehall was coming tword him.

"William!" Cried he "There you are! We thought we had lost you!" William jumped at his words, and spun around quickly.

"For god's sake man will you be quiet?!" William cried in a hushed tone, and he walked over to his friend and said "Miss Elder, the girl from last night, is sleeping in that bush!" Whitehall stared at him in disbelife, and then walked with William quietly over to the bush. Whitehall stood, in shock, and then, looked about for something. "What are y..." But before William could finish, his friend had picked up a stick, and poked Elizabeth in the shoulder. William jumped back and covered his face, as if he was about to be hit with the stick it's self. For one horrible moment, the two men held their breath, hoping that she would not wake up. She did not move, and the two men let out a huge sigh. "What did you do that for?!" Said William, his eyes alight with fear and anger.

"I wanted to see how hard of a sleeper she is, and apparently, she's a rock hard sleeper." Said Whitehall srinking back, and pointing at Elizabeth. William looked at Elizabeth, and then back at his friend, and grunted.

"Look, help me get her back to the house, maybe she will stay asleep. And for god's sake, will you put that stick down?!"

Later that evening, after William and Whitehall had made sure that Elizabeth was safe in a bed, and still sleeping, they were in the library, talking of the strange events that had just passed. "Well I still can't belive that she slept in a bush all night!" Said Whitehall, a book in his hands. "You know very well that must have been horrid! I have never known anyone, in my life as strange as she. A girl in boys clothing? And she was so dirty! I hope you noticed that, her hair was greesey, her skin was covered in dirt."

"And her hands were covered in cuts." Said William, taking a sip of brandy. He looked up at his friend, who had an expression of curiosity, and with a small smile he said "But it is of no matter. Let us think of it no more. We shall not talk of it untill Miss Elder wakes up, and then we shall have the truth." Whitehall heartly agreed, and sat down.

"But I must wonder at one thing, Flint, why would she stay here, on the grounds. Why did she not go to a local farm, and sleep in a barn? Why did she rest in a bush? And why..." But before he could finish, William cut him off.

"My dear friend, do not ask me these questions, save them for Miss Elder. For she is the only one who can answer them. Let us not speek of it, let us talk no more of this business!" And with that, the conversation ended, and turned to the next day, and what they wished to do. When William had finaly lay down in his bed to sleep that night, sleep eluded him, untill the early hours of the morning for his mind was alight, and buzzing around with the strange thoughts of the girl in boys clothing.  

Enjou_Garyuu

Enjou_Garyuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:56 pm
Chapter Three: Comfort

When William woke up the next morning to sound of people running trough the hall way, and bursting into his room. "Mr.Flint sir!" Said a maid, curtsying and panting. William lept out of bed and asked what was the matter. "The girl, sir. The one you brought in yesterday, she is awake, and in the drawing room." William thanked her, and asked her to leave. When she left, and William pulled on his trousers, took off his night shirt, and was dressed, and halfway down the stairs in ten minutes. As he rounded the corner, and was on his was to the drawing room, he saw one of his servants, running out of the drawing room, and coming twords him.

"I tried to tell her, Mr. Flint. I told her not to!" She cried, turning back around and walking with him.

"Told her not to what?!" He cried as he walked into the room, and his jaw droped. There, on the ledge over the fireplace, was Elizabeth, standing with her back twords him, looking intently at the painting of William. She had knocked off several things that had been on top of the fireplace, and was now staring intently at the painting, her nose only an inch from the canvas. Without time to think, William bowed and said "Miss Elder." Elizabeth turned her head tword him, and smiled. She then jumped backwards, spun around, and landed like a cat on the floor. She stood up, and with a small grin, bowed. William was amazed at this, and had no clue as how to speak to her, or what to say. So he straghtend his back, and waited for her to speek.

"Hello Mr.Flint. I was just looking at the lovely painting of yourself. It captures your face and hair quite well, but not the expression in your eyes." Elizabeth turned her head to look back at the painting, and then looked at William, a curious look on her face. William pulled himself out of his state of bewilderment, while Elizabeth grined broadly.

"Miss Elder." Repeated William, still a little shocked at Elizabeth's behavior.

"Just call me Elizabeth."

"Miss Elizabeth, I..."

"No, just Elizabeth."

"Elizabeth..." William breathed, looking at Elizabeth, suprised, and shocked at her asking him to call her 'Just Elizabeth.' "Elizabeth, I have wanted to talk to you for some time." Elizabeth smiled, and sat down in a chair.

"Talk all you want, sir. I shall do my best to answer you, but if your questions, are about what I think they are about, then please, let us take a walk upon your lovely grounds." Elizabeth stood back up and smiled. William told her that he would be glad to. Elizabeth cracked a grin, and qickly quit the room, as William stared in amazement. He soon afterward folowed, and they were off over the fields, and under trees, untill at one point Elizabeth slowed down to a leasurely pace, and they walked silently on together, before Elizabeth broke the slience and said "Well Mr.Flint, what is it that you wish to talk about?" William, who was feeling very aucward at this point in time, cleared his throat, and Elizabeth raised a quizical eyebrow.

"Well Miss Elizabeth..."William stoped at this point at Elizabeth's stern, but kind glare, and corrected himself, by saying "Elizabeth. I understand that you, are the doughter of my uncle, Ichibod Elder." She nodded silently, while he continued. "I recived your letter, and the, box that you left with it. However, I do not understand, why this...letter, and such, must remane quiet. Um. Miss...Sorry, Elizabeth, umm what are you doing?" While William had been talking, Elizabeth, who happened to see that the tree not 10 feet away, was an apple tree, had climbed up into the branches, and was out of sight. William tried to spot her in the tree, but the branches were so thick, and the leafs so bunched together, that he could not see her, untill at last, he saw a hand, with an apple in it, appear.

"Here, breakfast. Eat." She said after William had taken the apple. She then climbed far enough down, that her feet, hanging out of the tree, could be seen. And then, before William could say another word, she droped down, and landed perfectly. She stood back up and dusted herself off, while William, was doing everything not to drop his jaw, and keep his composure. "Well, anyway, as to your question. The Jewels must remane a secrate, because of their value, and because of the fact that every thief, every no good dirty scoundral, and pirate in Europe wants their hands on these Jewels. Especaily..." Said Elizabeth, as they continued their walk. "...the men, whom the king of france took the jewels from. Their organization has no name, so I can not tell you that." William listened intently, and when she was done, was silent. After a long silence, he began to speek.

"Well I thank you for that explaination, but most of my questions, are about you." Elizabeth seemed surprised as William said this, but with a quick smile, she blushed.

"I am no one sir. I am only here to do what was asked of me by my father. As soon as do this, I am free to do as I wish." Elizabeth smiled up at William, and turned away at William's bewilderd expression. He stared at her for a moment before, then turned his head away.

"Well if that is how you feel, than I will only ask that you stay for at least a week. Since you have...have no home or money, I must ask you to stay, after all, we are family." Said William, scarcely knowing what was coming out his own mouth. What are you saying man?! She dresses like a man, her maners are repulsive, why are you even speeking to her?! The only reason you can tolerate her is because of her conection to you, and even then, the fact that she is conected to you is even more repulive! You are higher than this! However, while William was having these thoughts, Elizabeth smiled and declined his offer, only saying that all she wanted was to leave, and retrive the dimond that she had promiced him. William, although relived that she would not be staying, was also not happy about it, and before he could think, said "Please stay! For I would very much enjoy your company, and I think it would do you good for your healths sake." William was appauled at his own words, and cursed himself in silent anger.

"Well, since you put it that way, I shall stay. But only for a little while. For I do need to be moving on, I can not stay in one place for to long, well," Elizabeth said, looking around at the wonderful grounds of William's estate. "Maybe here I could stay for a long time, but only because your grounds are delightful. But I would not wish to intrude on your privicy." William ashured her, that that would not be the case, as the voice in the back of his head screemed at him. Not be the case?! It would certanly be the bloody case!

"So, Elizabeth, may I be so bold as to ask, why you whear mens clothing?" William thought that he was oversteping his boundrys a little by asking this, but from Elizabeth's slight smile, and blushing cheaks, this seemed to not be the case.

"You are not to bold, sir, as to ask this, for it is a perfectly natural thing to ask. You see sir, I am very different from other ladys, not only in the way I dress and live, but in the way I act, and think. I dress this way, for two reasons. One," She held up a single finger, and stoped walking. " that I know that if I look like a man, and act like a man, than I will be able to get farther in life, than if I dressed and acted like a woman. If I looked like a woman, I could be marked as weak, and easy to hurt or steal from, but if I look like a man, and act like a man, I shall not be marked as shuch." She smiled, and with a flick of her wrist, held up her hand to his face. "As you can plainly see, I have many cuts on my hand. It shows that I am not afraid to work, and get hurt. If I had a womans hand, slender, and soft, people would notice." She qickly put her hand at her side, and sighed. Then she smiled and looked up at William, and said "The other reason I choose to dress like this, is it is more comfortable!" William laughed at this and shook his head, in disbelife.

"Comfortable?! I can understand the first reason quite well, however comfort? Why does comfort matter? If you are a man, you whear what a man whears, if you are a lady, you whear what a lady whears, and that is that! That was what I was tought as a lad, and what everyone was tought. Did not your father teach you such things?" William laughed once more, and to his astonishment, so did Elizabeth.

"Yes, that is what I was tought, but after being reduced to my present state of poverty, I confess, it was much better to be sleaping in a bush in a shirt and pants, than in a dress. I prefer to be comfortable, and brave the dissaprovement of socity than be unhappy. Trust me, if you are ever in my situatuion, you would be glad to do as I did, but I doubt that shall ever happen, unless you give all your property away." Elizabeth smiled, and after looking around, asked "Do you know where we are?"

"No. I have never been in this part of the grounds. They are so vast, that it is very easy to get lost." Replied William, looking around. She smiled, and said "but I know witch way we came from, so do not worry about that." His insides were churning with the voices in his head yelling at him, scolding him for being so kind, and telling him that he was now in a great and terible situation, however he ingnored these, and could only think You are very strange Miss Elizabeth. I wonder what you shall do next? William's strange fasination with the girl grew as a sly and devious smile was placed upon Elizabeth's lips.

"Mr.Flint, I think we should go back to the house. There is something I would wish to show you, and your friends." Elizabeth's sly smile, turned into a sardonic grin, and William could contain himself no longer.

"And what is it you wish to show me and my friends?" William's lips twiched slightly at the thought of Elizabeth in her mens clothing, walking in to the drawing room in Heartridge Hall, and bowing to Miss Whitehall. He did not dread the embaressment of the stuaion, as much at the torment from Miss Whitehall that he, and the rest of his company, would recive.

"You know that my father is a famous violinist, do you not? I happen to have with me, his most famous violin, and I would to show your friends the violin that is treasured through out Europe." William smiled.
"And how, exactly, do you have it with you? My friend, Mr.Whitehall, and I happened upon you, there was nothing but yourself there. How could you 'Happen to have' something that you do not?" William, smiling at his briliance, soon had his triumph banished away, by the glitter of a chalenge in Elizabeth's eye, and the smile upon her lips.

"Why my dear Mr.Flint! The violin was hidden in your library since the night I gave you my letter! You did see all the books on the shelf that had been taken off, and then put back. Only a true lover of books would notice, and I hid the violin behind them. You see Mr.Flint, the real reason I was going to stay in town the next tree days, was to make sure that my violin was safe, and retrive it at the end of that time. A violin that presious to me, would not be able to survive out in the open every night." Elizabeth smiled sweetly in her triumph, as William, was silent in shock. However, William, who was not so easly persuaied to loose a battle of wit, smiled slightly.

"So I take it you did not read Romeo and Juliet?" Said William in a mocking way.

"O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright! It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear! So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows, as yonder lady o'er her fellows shows. The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand, and, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand. Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night." Said Elizabeth, a spring in her step, looking back at William's expression of surprise and delight. "Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, act one, scene five." William laughed, and running slightly steped in front of Elizabeth.

" If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: my lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss." Said William, giving Elizabeth a sly smile. She returned it, and with the twinkle of a chalenge in her eye, she steped to the side, never taking her eyes off him.

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this; for saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss." She replied. William smiled as they walked on, talking of books, and poetry. However, in the back of William's mind, a voice was telling him, how absolutely stupid he was looking, and what a fool he was being. What do you think you are doing? Quoting poetry? My god man, she is turning you into a fool. Said one voice, in an iritated manor. Nonsence! cried another. He is being kind, and mearly being the gentleman.

However, another voice sounded in his head, clearly as a bell. But it is to late now. She must stay, he can not go back on his word, and, I belive he likes her... To this, all William could do is shiver. "Mr.Flint, are you unwell?" Asked Elizabeth as William's stomach knoted. William shook his head, and as they walked together back tword the house, William's thoughts and feelings were surging trough his body. Do I like her? She is kind, and loves poetry. Yes, I do like her, however, that is what my regard for her shall alwase be.

As William and Elizabeth entered the house, William said "Elizabeth, before I introduce you to my friends, I wonder, shall I introduce you as you are, or will you change your clothes, and have a hot bath before hand?" Elizabeth smiled, and said that a hot bath sounded delightful, and William asked to have a bath prepared for her, and if the maid would take her upstairs, and get her some clothes. As the maid escorted Elizabeth up the stairs, she turned around, and with a small wave, dissapeared. William smiled, and turned around, only to see Whitehall's bright face.

"There you are Flint! I was begining to worry. You have been gone all morning, and I had to listen to my sister complain about how much see wished to see you before she whent out." Whitehall said, looking at William expectantly. William sighed, and apologised for his absance, and explaned to his friend what he had been doing all morning, and talked about his walk with Elizabeth, and his invitation for her to stay. Whitehall stared at his friend was was silent, untill William was finished speaking, and then gave a long sigh. " Are you mad? What were you thinking when you invited her? Well your stuck now, theres no use cring over spilt milk, eh Flint?" William heartly agreed, and they bolth walked into the music room, where Miss Whitehall was playing the piano forte. Her preformance was flawless, however, the music had no feeling, so after half a song, William started talking to Whitehall again. After another two songs, and half way into the third, Elizabeth appeared. Her hair was clean, and pulled back into a ponny tail, and she was dressed in a clean pair of trousers, and a clean shirt. To William's great plesure, she had decided to put on boots, and button up her waistcoat. However, she was lacking a neckcloth, and a coat, but she did look far more presentable than when William had seen her last. William stood up and bowed, as did Whitehall. Miss Whitehall, however did not notice, and continued playing. Elizabeth bowed back, and smiled.

"Whitehall, this is Miss Elizabeth Elder, Elizabeth, this is Mr. Jhonathan Whitehall, a good friend of mine." Whitehall smiled, and so did Elizabeth.

"Miss Elder, it is a pleasure to meet you, formaly, that is." Said Whitehall, his cheeks turning a slight color of pink.

"Indeed it is, sir, but please, call me Elizabeth. There is no need for formality." Replied Elizabeth, smiling slightly as Whitehall blushed. William smiled, and knew what Whitehall was thinking. Please Whitehall, do not make a fool of yourself by taking a fancy to her! Just then Miss Whitehall hit the last note, and with a small pause, everyone started claping their hands. Miss Whitehall stood up, and glided over to William's side.

"Miss Whitehall, this is Miss Elizabeth Elder, Elizabeth, this is Miss Catherine Whitehall, Mr.Whitehall's sister." As Miss Whitehall curtsyed, Elizabeth bowed, and from the look on Miss Whitehall's face, William knew that she was surprised, and displeased at such manors.

"Miss Whitehall, you play the piano forte beautifuly." Said Elizaeth seeing the look that William was giving her, and smiling at Miss Whitehall.

"Thank you, Miss Elder. Do you play?" Said Miss Whitehall, with cold civility. She was very disspleased at their new guest, and was showing it, but Elizabeth mearly smiled.

"No I do not. However, I do play another instrument." Said Elizabeth with a sly grin. William knew what she ment, and was a little taken aback.

"And what is it that you play, Miss Elder?" Said Miss Whitehall, snearing slightly, as she wraped her arm around William's. William, who was feeling very uncomfortable, held his breath as Elizabeth opened her mouth to reply.

"I play the violin." Elizabeth said, and with one swift movement, her father's violin appeared in her hands. She placed her chin on the beautifuly crafted instument, and placed her fingers in position. "You might want to sit down, I think you shall enjoy the music much better." William sat down in a chair, Miss Whitehall to his left, his friend to his right. Elizabeth would have started playing if not for the fact that lunch was anounced. Elizabeth, though dissapointed at not being able to play, was uterly happy at being able to eat. She skiped down the hallway, ahead of everyone, while Whitehall folowed after her, leaving William with Miss Whitehall. William, who was not going to be drawn into a conversation with Miss Whitehall, decided to catch up with her brother.

"My god man, I have never seen such a beauty." Said Whitehall to William, as they walked together. William laughed slightly, looking at the expression on his friends face.

"Oh really? I have seen many a more beautiful woman than she. She is, plain, at most, and her behaveure is so strange." William replied, looking at Whitehall. However, he was not listening, he was looking at Elizabeth, skiping down the hallway. William sighed, and with Whitehall by his side, walked into the dining room.  
Lil' Ria Bag (The creative Corner)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games