Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheists: Lost With Out Rituals? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Religious rituals?
  If you stop believing, you should stop everything.
  I can do wha'ever I wan!
  These days some rituals are more cultural than religious.
  This is the perfect opportunity to make up your own ritual! Yay!
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:59 pm
c a u s t i c
And I suppose one could copy a Bar mitzvah or do something that improves on what ever you like about the idea :0 (I would love to make a horrible joke right now, but I'll resist it.)

Oh no you don't. Now you have to tell me what the joke was. I won't be able to sleep if you don't.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:09 pm
I don't think I need any of those rituals. I think marriage would be more about the honeymoon to me...

About my body, I've been to a few funerals; I thought they were boring as hell. So is standing by someone's grave. So, I'd put together a list of possible uses of my body, kind of like this:
  • scientific research
  • fertilizer
  • food
and let my family decide.

The only ritual I hold sacred-ish is the birthday, which I consider a celebration of self.  

DivideByZero14

iviary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:10 pm
DivideByZero14
I've been to a few funerals; I thought they were boring as hell. So is standing by someone's grave.

I take it they weren't for people you were very close with?
Well, come to think of it, the actual funeral ceremonies, whenever the Priest was talking, were quite boring, considering he didn't even know my grandparents very well (he performed both of their services, 2.5 years apart). The best part was the "wake" or "memorial service" or whatever you want to call it, the night before the funeral. Everyone in the family gathered together and shared memories of the deceased. It was a great part of the healing process.

I'd like something like that, as far as funerals go. I mean, it won't really matter what's done with my body; I suppose it's whatever is best for those left behind. However, I still naturally have preferences, and I don't want some long-winded preacher blathering on about God's greater plan. I just want my loved ones to remember me. Cremation might also be the way I go; I don't fancy the idea of being a rotting corpse, personally.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:12 am
Marriage ceremonies don't have to be religious or headed by a priest.

What do I want to come of my body when I die? I want to be cremated and have my ashes tossed into the ocean. Then I can be apart of the one thing I love the most about my planet....the big beautiful ocean.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces