Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Wait, why 42? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[-Mandark-]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:10 am
Ollaolas
Douglas Adams
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

3nodding
Wow.
It all seems so simple...
I feel a little bit cheerier.
3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:03 am
Here's the true answer--Douglas Adams knew a lot aboutcomputers, and if you multiply 6 by 9 in binary, it equals 42. SERIOUSLY!!!! My friend told me about this, cuz he works with binary. He can also count to 31 on one hand. I finally managed it yesterday, then forot as soon as I did it.....  

BriarMorganRose

Treat Spirit

8,050 Points
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Bookworm 100

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:16 pm
Suke_Kawamoto
Here's the true answer--Douglas Adams knew a lot aboutcomputers, and if you multiply 6 by 9 in binary, it equals 42. SERIOUSLY!!!! My friend told me about this, cuz he works with binary. He can also count to 31 on one hand. I finally managed it yesterday, then forot as soon as I did it.....

I thought 6 by 9 was 42 in base thirteen. You can't even get 42 in binary. Well you can, but it doesn't look like 42; it looks like 101010.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:58 am
no, he got it in binary. I have no idea how. not good with that....  

BriarMorganRose

Treat Spirit

8,050 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Bookworm 100

[.Adolescence.]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:46 pm
Well, if the Earth took 10 million (was it? I'm too lazy to pick up the book) years to come up with the answer, I guess Mr. Adams couldn't know it so promptly.^^  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:11 pm
Suke_Kawamoto
It works in Base 13, Binary and the original C-program language (Not C++ though!). I've tried it (*mutters* such a freak). Just one of the many reasons I love a school that teaches comp. programming! Apparently, however, it works for different reasons in each. O_o Does anybody think that's a bit too coincidental?  

Nephthys Assyria

BriarMorganRose

Treat Spirit

8,050 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:38 am
Nephthys Assyria
Suke_Kawamoto
It works in Base 13, Binary and the original C-program language (Not C++ though!). I've tried it (*mutters* such a freak). Just one of the many reasons I love a school that teaches comp. programming! Apparently, however, it works for different reasons in each. O_o Does anybody think that's a bit too coincidental?

no, but you actually did that?! eek okay......I thought i got bored....  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:02 pm
Kychan Daisuke
Ollaolas
Douglas Adams
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

3nodding
Wow.
It all seems so simple...
I feel a little bit cheerier.
3nodding

::happy nod::
The universe makes a bit more sense now.
Not much, but it's a start.

Akky the Terrible

Hermione-Samara_Potter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 pm
Though this isn't exactly Hitch Hiker related, 42 is one of the jinxed numbers on Lost.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:07 pm
Nephthys Assyria
Suke_Kawamoto

Base 13 and binary are coincidences, as far as I know. the C-program language was put in as a joke by the people who designed it. Specifically, the code goes something like this:

SIX*NINE=42
Where SIX=1+5 and NINE=8+1
Therefore SIX*NINE=1+5*8+1=1+40+1=42.

Found that on Wikipedia. 3nodding  

Appoggiatura

74ch1k0m4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:14 pm
I think the bit about Adams staring out the window and just picking it is fundamentally true. But I love the reasoning behind THAT. I mean, the random number 42....Doesn't that just sum up our universe so well?^_^ "Why ___?" "Why not?"  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:42 pm
I get it now... 42... it's so perfect. It's smallish, It's slightly comical, and the parts are exactly double and half. Even and everything... It's the absolute perfect number, and it fits a slightly biblican number as well... Wow... It's just perfect...

I get it now... It's all comming into perfect focus. That's the reason he'd have chose it. It's perfectly random. Nothing significant but everything that one has to know... I get it...  

The Incorrigible Thalimon

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:05 pm
Suke_Kawamoto

K, he says right on the special features for the TV show, and other sources, he just picked a random number. It's been said before in this thread, you think they just made it up? He picked 42 because he thought it sounded funny.

Douglas Adams wouldn't lie to us. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:06 pm
Ollaolas
Douglas Adams

3nodding
Oo incredible

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Brother
of the
Sky

Explosivo!

Xeno Zen Neptune

Lidaby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:00 am
EVERYONE READ THIS!!!!

42 and the question, 6 times 9?

6 times 9 in base 14 equals 42!! But apparantly Douglas Adams said it was a coincodence. 'I may be lame, but I don't make jokes in base 14.'  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games