Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Chemistry and Science in RE Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Interested?
  Yes
View Results

Marguerite Blakeney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:47 pm
resident evil didn't really make me want to study chemistry at the beginning because 1: my suspension of disbelief kicks in whenever i watch practically anything, save really sucky movies, and 2: chemistry at my high school sucked. however, then i started writing a fic centering around wesker's attempts in re4 to create his own company (whether that be a new umbrella or a new company altogether, i am not sure), and ran up across a snag--while he is doing so, he has a handful of researchers working on perfecting his various viruses and parasites and whatnot, and i retained practically nothing from high school chemistry. now i have a lot of chemistry and biology filler i have no idea how to fill.

gonk curse you, science-savvy resident evil storywriters! gonk  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:11 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
But there still aren't any parasites that can force a person into cannibalism. Out organisms are too complex to be controlled by a parasite.
I know there are parasites that go into a grasshopper's hear, and force the grasshopper to commit suicide, then they get into the water then ley eggs which get consumed by other grassshoppers, and the cycle starts all over again.
But that's a grasshopper. There are no parasites that can have that kind of control over a human's brain. Oh well. I guess it's a matter of evolution... All it takes is time.

The possibility is there, I would say. Nothing has done it so far, but it could be possible. Affecting actions would be incredible, especially being able to walk through our bodies, but really all it is is nerve impulses. If a parasite could position itself properly, it is fully reasonable that it could force us to move.
Then the next problem would be coordination, which would require from me a leap of faith... could be true, I suppose.
The biggest problem I have is in communication. That's a pretty complicated system there. The parasite would basically have to merge with our brains in order for that to work- but then, it would need to still maintain control instead of just being an extention of it.  

underweargnome

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 am
underweargnome
The possibility is there, I would say. Nothing has done it so far, but it could be possible. Affecting actions would be incredible, especially being able to walk through our bodies, but really all it is is nerve impulses. If a parasite could position itself properly, it is fully reasonable that it could force us to move.
Then the next problem would be coordination, which would require from me a leap of faith... could be true, I suppose.
The biggest problem I have is in communication. That's a pretty complicated system there. The parasite would basically have to merge with our brains in order for that to work- but then, it would need to still maintain control instead of just being an extention of it.

For absolute control, maybe. But I wouldn't even go as far as that. When I was talking about the grasshopper, I wasn't talking about "Controlling it to commit suicide." I was talking about the parasite releasing chemicals which cause severe depression to the point of wanting to commit the suicide. Things like that.
Now, in the Ganados' case. Let's imagine that the parasite can release other chemicals... Ones that promote agression.
Under normal circumstances, a farmer would see an intruder and stay cautious, but if the chemical causes severe aggression, the host won't have the will power to resist and would attack as the Ganados do.
Right now, I think it's the farthest it can get. And I'm talking about weaponizing a parasite, like the one in the grasshopper, and changing its genetics to release the chemical that would cause aggression instead of depression. As for absolute control over the host, there really isn't such a thing. I mean, Las Plagas took it to a whole new level. They were intelligent to the point of being considered self aware. And so far, Humans are the only self-aware creatures on the planet... Umm... Maybe Dolphins, I'm not sure about the intelligence of dolphins, but nothing else.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Now, in the Ganados' case. Let's imagine that the parasite can release other chemicals... Ones that promote agression.
Under normal circumstances, a farmer would see an intruder and stay cautious, but if the chemical causes severe aggression, the host won't have the will power to resist and would attack as the Ganados do.
Right now, I think it's the farthest it can get. And I'm talking about weaponizing a parasite, like the one in the grasshopper, and changing its genetics to release the chemical that would cause aggression instead of depression.

that's called testosterone mrgreen  

Marguerite Blakeney

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:18 pm
Marguerite Blakeney
Biohazard EXTREME
Right now, I think it's the farthest it can get. And I'm talking about weaponizing a parasite, like the one in the grasshopper, and changing its genetics to release the chemical that would cause aggression instead of depression.

that's called testosterone mrgreen
It sure as hell would explain JJ and Krauser's massive builds.
On the other hand, if it was testosterone, then Saddler would never have managed to impale Luis with that.... Giant... Appendage... That came from under Saddler's robe...  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff