Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christian Philosophy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:19 pm
I was originally writing this post for the chat thread, however, it turned out to be much more in-depth than I had predicted.

Well, I'll outright admit it, I'm enjoying Bible class. Christianity makes so much more sense now, and, even though I still don't accept it as fact, I completely get where these guys are coming from.

It's obvious to see now just HOW this is a religion based upon reinforcing the flaws of humanity (some true, some false, all represented by the title of sin), and demanding submission into a greater being. This being must be either through Satan (many sources, all delegated by God as proven best in the book of Job, in which Satan must in fact ask permission from God.), also known as delegated power for the reasons stated in parentheses, or in God, which is supposedly "Undelegated" power, and limitless as is the source from which it is drawn.

This, in its self, is flawed, as it is stated also that all the powers of God come from the Father, through the Son, by the Holy Spirit. One can, therefore, state that there is a delegating factor for this power as well, meaning that ALL power from a Christian perspective is delegated.

Unproven by this argument is the secondary view that humans are not a third power. From an atheistic standpoint however, as minute as it is, in the absence of a higher power, humans *do* hold power, though much of it is insignificant in comparison to the random and cold nature of the universe at large.

From this, I’ve also formulated a simple argument against your standard redneck homo-basher.

Homosexuality -> Sin
Jesus supposedly died, and in doing so, rid the world of sin -> Sins forgiven! (Such as lust, pride, drinking, eating meat on certain days, killing, mixing fibers, etc….)
Therefore, homosexuality -> A-Okay, and, if you want to verge on reducto ad absurdum, bashing on homosexuals is crime against Jesus, a rejection to the actions of the Holy Ghost, and therefore pressing against the unforgivable sin.

Sounds like it’s probably been done to death, but give me a break, I sketched it on the back of my notes. xD

Also, CARDIAC JESUS! =D  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:24 pm
Saying the bible is inconsistent and self-contradicting is akin to saying the Goblet of Fire movie sucked. It's what one would expect to happen when first century nutjobs tried to show the order behind their beliefs when, in fact, there was none.

Still, your example is a real gem. Power being a primary neurosis of deluded people and homosexuality apparently another, it hits the soft spots. However, I believe most fundies would have stopped reading upon encountering the word "submission", as it reminded them of submarines and they walked off in a daze to watch The Hunt for Red October.

Sean Connery rox.  

DivideByZero14

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:29 pm
Religions are very interesting to study. I always liked trying to find more about the other religions around the time while Christianity was still considered just another cult religion.

Even if homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible, you're right that there's nothing in the Bible that would ever advocate treating the people themselves badly. Which is why people who bash others also confused me o.x Christianity also teaches that you aren't supposed to judge others, right?
At any rate, homosexuality is supposed to be seen as any other sin in the bible and you are supposed to make the same distinction between the person and the sin because, logically, if you can't deal with a homosexual/other sinful person as just another person then how can you ever hope to tell them about god, invite them to church, etc?

You kind of confused me though in the explanation, are you arguing that homosexuality is NOT a sin according to the bible because of Jesus' death?

As far as whether God's power is also delegated.. is it really delegated if the Father, son and holy spirit are all one?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:22 pm
c a u s t i c
Religions are very interesting to study. I always liked trying to find more about the other religions around the time while Christianity was still considered just another cult religion.

Even if homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible, you're right that there's nothing in the Bible that would ever advocate treating the people themselves badly. Which is why people who bash others also confused me o.x Christianity also teaches that you aren't supposed to judge others, right?
At any rate, homosexuality is supposed to be seen as any other sin in the bible and you are supposed to make the same distinction between the person and the sin because, logically, if you can't deal with a homosexual/other sinful person as just another person then how can you ever hope to tell them about god, invite them to church, etc?

You kind of confused me though in the explanation, are you arguing that homosexuality is NOT a sin according to the bible because of Jesus' death?

As far as whether God's power is also delegated.. is it really delegated if the Father, son and holy spirit are all one?

Well, that wasn't really what I ment. Honestly, it isn't so much of an argument as it is something to get the religion-soaked mind running again.

And... I don't know exactly. It seems like that's what's taught, but at the same time, my bible (Edit: TEACHER. x.x) preaches as though the three are supposed to be seperate-but-connected.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:16 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I was originally writing this post for the chat thread, however, it turned out to be much more in-depth than I had predicted.

Well, I'll outright admit it, I'm enjoying Bible class. Christianity makes so much more sense now, and, even though I still don't accept it as fact, I completely get where these guys are coming from.

It's obvious to see now just HOW this is a religion based upon reinforcing the flaws of humanity (some true, some false, all represented by the title of sin), and demanding submission into a greater being. This being must be either through Satan (many sources, all delegated by God as proven best in the book of Job, in which Satan must in fact ask permission from God.), also known as delegated power for the reasons stated in parentheses, or in God, which is supposedly "Undelegated" power, and limitless as is the source from which it is drawn.

This, in its self, is flawed, as it is stated also that all the powers of God come from the Father, through the Son, by the Holy Spirit. One can, therefore, state that there is a delegating factor for this power as well, meaning that ALL power from a Christian perspective is delegated.

Unproven by this argument is the secondary view that humans are not a third power. From an atheistic standpoint however, as minute as it is, in the absence of a higher power, humans *do* hold power, though much of it is insignificant in comparison to the random and cold nature of the universe at large.

From this, I’ve also formulated a simple argument against your standard redneck homo-basher.

Homosexuality -> Sin
Jesus supposedly died, and in doing so, rid the world of sin -> Sins forgiven! (Such as lust, pride, drinking, eating meat on certain days, killing, mixing fibers, etc….)

He rid the world of sin? I was under the impression that he merely forgave sin. Another argument would be refuting that the Bible condemns homosexuality as a sin, for it does not. The only thing that comes close is in Leviticus and is ceremonial law, thus does not apply and was referring to temple prostitution.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:59 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

Homosexuality -> Sin
Therefore, homosexuality -> A-Okay, and, if you want to verge on reducto ad absurdum, bashing on homosexuals is crime against Jesus, a rejection to the actions of the Holy Ghost, and therefore pressing against the unforgivable sin.

Sounds like it’s probably been done to death, but give me a break, I sketched it on the back of my notes. xD

Also, CARDIAC JESUS! =D

Well done. Well done. Not much more to say, but well done. Show it to a Fundie like the ones where I live, and they'll spaz.  

Death God Hitsugaya

+Gloria Domini+

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:02 pm
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

Interesting. Interesting indeed.

Jesus didn't eliminate sin, such as making it so that sin no longer exists, but He washed away past sins, and enabled us to wash away our sins by repenting and accepting Him as or Savior. (At least, that's my take on it.)

So, according to your logic there, homosexuality would still be a sin, but just as forgivable as any other "ordinary" sin. (And this is my belief, as well as what someone said about the "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing. I know you didn't use the phrase, but I think that's what you referred to.

I may be a Christian, and I may see homosexuality as a sin, but I do not view those of other sexualities as being any worse than anyone else.)

And I believe that His power is not delegated, but it's really a moot point, and I certainly will not argue it.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell that's chaining up the world

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:34 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

Homosexuality -> Sin

Also, CARDIAC JESUS! =D

If only modern politics could view it that way. Unfortunately, there are flaws in this assumption. Jesus rid the current world of sins when he died, meaning that if you were there at that time, you were meant to be forgiven. Now we must accept God in our lives to keep on being forgiven.  

russiangal367

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff