Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Am I like...the only atheist that doesn't debate? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uchihas Blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:16 am
I only debate if someone starts it. Usually they are just trying to convert me without starting a debate.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 pm
the problem is, a majprty of atheists were raised in religious households, which gives them a reason to doubt and criticize, rather than just accept it. I like debating because the better i got at it the less people bothered me about my choice.  

The Seven Deadly Sinz

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:39 pm
I don't debate with religious folk because despite all of the harm religion has caused it also gives people without love or ambition hope for something better. I've had some lovely Christian friends and while they know I'm not religious they don't preach. In return I don't snark up their religion.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 pm
Personally, I'm fine with anybody's religious standpoint (won't stop me mocking organised religion for the whole control factor). However, the instant they either try to convert me or bring it to the reasoned debate playing field, I string their logical fallacies out to win.  

[Subject to Availability]

Existential Raincloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 am
I like debating, but all too often the debates devolve into petty little arguements chock full of name calling taken to a personal level.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:07 am
megabyteman
I like debating, but all too often the debates devolve into petty little arguements chock full of name calling taken to a personal level.
Which is what I want to avoid. Like I said earlier, I am HORRIBLE at conveying my point and my argument in a concise manner. I have a hair trigger temper and I usually just end up losing it and getting angry because I can't figure out a way to vocalize the point I'm trying to make.

It's part of my learning disability.

As far as I'm concerned, debating about your beliefs is something people do when they are unsure of themselves. The mind is still trying to work things out and demands more counterpoints.

Xiporah

Ignorance is Your Disease

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:51 pm
My tolerance for debating is variable. I wasn't raised religiously, although my mother would really like me to go to church. I really couldn't sit through a service without feeling intellectually violated by being in the presence of so much blind conviction.
If someone tries to make me go to church, I will probably bite them.
The real point for me is thus:
I recognize what positive aspects religions are supposed to have. I find relgions interesting in an anthropological (cultural) sense.
There are a multitude of factors that discourage me.
Ignorance
Intolerance
Elitism
Control
Corruption
Greed
Moral Self-righteousness
Moral Justification
Obnoxiousness
Subjectivity
Brainwashing of Children

That, of course, and the fact that the concept of God simply doesn't process in my mind ^^
this mostly applies to monotheistic, western religions. examples of similar conviction exist in eastern religions, leading to holy wars and genocide
Quite honestly, while i would find it personally impossible to become committed to the path of enlightenment, i respect Buddhism a great deal. it discourages hate and fear, and promotes positive living. that should be the point of religion.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:48 am
I debate lightly, but bible humpers get flamed. I sometimes troll at them just to piss them off/  

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

Minozake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm
I don't debate (in real life, that is) because I have no defense. All I have is, "Because I don't believe." Then the opposition launches a bunch of false assumptions at me, like, "Why do you hate God? Why can you not accept him? You know you are going to Hell, right?" They have their, "Minds of constipation, mouths of diarrhea," going for them.

Although, I have been tempted to respond to, "Jesus loves you," with, "He died over two milleniums ago. Get over it." But, that's because I hated the guy. I wouldn't want to say it, though. One, because it's more prejudice against Christians than anything, I think. Second, I wouldn't say anything else to anybody of another religion (such as if someone said, "Buddha loves you.")  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff