Reply The Tekken Force
Paul....the ultimate Fighter????

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kou - Leifou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:22 pm
I've gotta say it. i used to hate Paul's guts but after prcticing with him I gotta give him credit. He is now part of my "Gruesome Twosom" ((Eddy and Paul)) He's cheap but hella strong. And pretty quick for a big guy. What do you guys think.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:05 am
Paul has always been solid with what we like to call the "brick" mixup, also known as train/ATL/BrianH style.

The big thing with Paul is that you have to accept that pretty much whatever you do will lead to either you taking a lot of damage, or your opponent taking it. Your opponent will have to punish you though.

He's very, very weak to sidewalk left, especially in 5.0. That's why he's strictly mid tier there and won't do anything in 5.0 tournaments. Brian H gets away with a lot because nobody knows to SWL on the EC. Unfortunately, if Brian H knows you're going to spam SWL, he'll still crush you.  

Icege

Miyavi San

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:51 pm
Icege
Paul has always been solid with what we like to call the "brick" mixup, also known as train/ATL/BrianH style.

The big thing with Paul is that you have to accept that pretty much whatever you do will lead to either you taking a lot of damage, or your opponent taking it. Your opponent will have to punish you though.

He's very, very weak to sidewalk left, especially in 5.0. That's why he's strictly mid tier there and won't do anything in 5.0 tournaments. Brian H gets away with a lot because nobody knows to SWL on the EC. Unfortunately, if Brian H knows you're going to spam SWL, he'll still crush you.

but due to his power, you be ending up getting your a** kicked in a few shots or so. I let my guard down for one seconds and he already finished all my health (I had almost 1/3 or somewhere around that)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:30 am
Miyavi San
Icege

but due to his power, you be ending up getting your a** kicked in a few shots or so. I let my guard down for one seconds and he already finished all my health (I had almost 1/3 or somewhere around that)

That's with any character in the game. Just sidewalk around him to the left and the only thing he has that will hit you are:

1) d+1+2 (Iron Mountain a.k.a. shoulder). However, most characters can launch Paul if they block this move. So he's running a risk of doing 20+dmg to you while taking 60+dmg to himself.

2) d+4:2:1+2 (a.k.a. Demolition Man/Falling Leaf Dragon Thunderbolt Palm /sweepelbowJF). Only the sweep will hit. The elbow and JF will miss completely and get you a free wake up kick. He can just do the sweep though, and then d+2 you when you hit the ground, but that's impossible to do on reaction. You're risking just sweeping them if you happen to catch them on axis.

3) b+2. The only safe option. Unfortunately, it has no range so you've got to be DEEP in order to land this.  

Icege

Miyavi San

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:47 am
Icege
Miyavi San
Icege

That's with any character in the game. Just sidewalk around him to the left and the only thing he has that will hit you are:

1) d+1+2 (Iron Mountain a.k.a. shoulder). However, most characters can launch Paul if they block this move. So he's running a risk of doing 20+dmg to you while taking 60+dmg to himself.

2) d+4:2:1+2 (a.k.a. Demolition Man/Falling Leaf Dragon Thunderbolt Palm /sweepelbowJF). Only the sweep will hit. The elbow and JF will miss completely and get you a free wake up kick. He can just do the sweep though, and then d+2 you when you hit the ground, but that's impossible to do on reaction. You're risking just sweeping them if you happen to catch them on axis.

3) b+2. The only safe option. Unfortunately, it has no range so you've got to be DEEP in order to land this.

d+1+2: not very hard to block actually.

D+4:2:1+2: appearently the D_4 is sometimes hard to block when it comes out of nowhere. When he does this, usually I either try to step back or block all 3 attacks

b+2: I barely seen any paul users use this o.O  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:45 am
If d+1+2 for you is "easy to block" then you should be winning tournaments. It's 12-frames. It's easy to block if you're blocking, but if you're sidewalking left trying to get him to whiff, you risk eating it. On the same side, he risks you blocking it and eating 40%

d+4 is hard to block unless you are actively looking for it or expecting it.

Any Paul player worth their salt will use b+2. It's his only safe option to keep people from sidewalking all of his stuff, plus on CH he gets free d+4:2:1+2 for a nice chunk of damage.

I think you missed the entire point of my previous post. The point of it was that ANY character can rape your life bar if you don't block, but against Paul, you can sidewalk to your left and he has only three moves that will hit you, and all at risk to himself.  

Icege

Miyavi San

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 am
Icege
If d+1+2 for you is "easy to block" then you should be winning tournaments. It's 12-frames. It's easy to block if you're blocking, but if you're sidewalking left trying to get him to whiff, you risk eating it. On the same side, he risks you blocking it and eating 40%

d+4 is hard to block unless you are actively looking for it or expecting it.

Any Paul player worth their salt will use b+2. It's his only safe option to keep people from sidewalking all of his stuff, plus on CH he gets free d+4:2:1+2 for a nice chunk of damage.

I think you missed the entire point of my previous post. The point of it was that ANY character can rape your life bar if you don't block, but against Paul, you can sidewalk to your left and he has only three moves that will hit you, and all at risk to himself.

ack, my bad.
SSL works on the mishimas as well right? I hearing SSL instead of SSR works better

and unfortunatly, either my parents cant take me to tournies OR I miss it (always happens)  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm
SSL will avoid EWGF and the first (or 2nd hit?) of their Axe kicks... but that's it. Other things will hit you like Kaz's d/f+2, Devil Jin's u/f+4, Heihachi's OTGF, etc.

SSR gets eaten up by EWGF... so in the end, your best bet is SSL  

Icege

Hyung Horangi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:32 pm
Kou - Leifou
I've gotta say it. i used to hate Paul's guts but after prcticing with him I gotta give him credit. He is now part of my "Gruesome Twosom" ((Eddy and Paul)) He's cheap but hella strong. And pretty quick for a big guy. What do you guys think.

i agree!!!! i remember reading something about paul being the cheapest character since tekken 3 heheheh  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:57 pm
I kinda just narrowed it down to Paul's main game being deathfist, Blue palm JF, and punishing with deathfist.

anything else is mixup. d+1+2 would be great granted the move pushed back upon block. otherwise you're just pushing yourself towards them for a easy launch on block. Though it's Paul's answer to Feng's b+2 palm after whiffing moves...Cept..not as good.

I've seen some crazy cancels with that low palm move (the one you can cancel. one ghost paul on DR did like...2 and canceled both into some strange stuff.)

overall though, paul's not that big on anything anymore.back in T1-3 he was a force cause 1 CH deathfist was pretty much 80% of your life.  

Shin Oni

l cece l

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:04 pm
ya  
The Tekken Force

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out