Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
The creek [Temporary Title]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 pm
They never really figured out what caused the fire at the old bread mill.
The police didn't look into it too much, seeing as the place had been abandoned for a decade and a half.

But the gang and me, we knew what went down that smoky night in June, 1978. The fire was always there, we jus' brought it up outta the ground, me an' mah' brother, Frank.

The "gang" was jus' comprised of four guys: me, Frank, our cousin Alex, and his girlfriend Jess (short for "Jessica", but the last time anyone called her that she knocked out their teeth). Ever' now an' then Jess's sister Amanda would tag along and me an' her would sneak away an' kiss by the creek.

Buh' an'ways,
S'ah it was jes' us this time 'round, 'Manda was home sick with th' flu or some bull' like tha'. Ah' still ha'nt worked up th' nerve ta' tell Jess that me an' her sister wanted ta' go steady 'cuz I was 'fraid I'd lose m'ah man bits an' I was only fourteen, way to young ta' be ah' eunich.

We was sittin' in our little clearing we'd made in th' back forty behind Alex's house sharin' a pack of smokes an' laughing about some bullshit I can't 'member now, nuthin' ever seemed 'portant enough to put serious thought into after the fire. Frank was sick though, I remember that; he was coughin' up somethin' fierce an' wheezin' like an old dog. Jess was makin' her googly love sick eyes at Alex like normal, an' I was busy thinkin' 'bout the next time me an' Amanda was gonna get close again.

Frank spat out somethin' that looked like the Blob from that crappy a** horror movie, and clear'd his throat. Jeffrey, he tells me, Jeffrey we gotta bounce soon, Mom's is gonna whip us if we get home late.
I looked down at m'ah watch an' saw it was only four-thirty, an' Mom's had told us to be home b'ah ten. Frank winked slyly an' told me to com'on, so ah' bit and nodded.
Alex and Jess looked like they wan'd to be alone anyways, so we said our goodbyes and headed out.

I asked him what was up, and he pointed off in the distance an' told me ta' shush. He said we was gonna check out this old factory he 'ad heard 'bout in school, said it was haunted or some s**t like that.

We trekked 'bout a mile into the woods, an' I was about ready to turn back when I first smelled it; 'was like an old motor oil smell that got in 'yer sinuses and refused ta' leave.
The stronger it got the closer we got, until we was standin' right in front of this old buildin'. The place looked like one of them fix'er uppers they would talk 'bout on the t.v., so in other words it looked like a real piece trash.

Frank whispered ta' me that we would be comin' back here wit' the gang in a few days, but he had wanted ta' see it first with me to make sure it was safe an' s**t.

Ah' din't sleep easy that night, m'ah mind was all up an' down an' s**t; kept wond'rin what'sup with that damn factory Frank wanted to check out.
I feel weird rememberin' all of this junk, I mean, I got more important things ta' do than get all nostalgic 'bout back then. Me and 'Manda been married for thirty years, m'ah daughter's been the apple of m'ah freakin eye since she was born in '89. We named her Jessica after her late Aunt, would'a named her Alex if she'd been a boy.
I miss them, we used to have our differences, but Alex was my Best Man and Jess had been Amanda's Maid of Honor; an' Jess never tore off my man bits.

So we all left the next morning.

It was ol' and dusty an' smelled a bit like a dead rat on a hot summer day, but we made it our second home. Alex and Jess brought a few brooms an' Frank an' me brought the six pack of booze. We clean'd that place up in a week.
Amanda an' me ended up fooling around in there more aften than not; but thats not really important to this story.

A few weeks by an' we all were sittin' in the middle of the factory floor, empty beer cans an' old majiuana joints scattered around us.
The place was was shut down from the sixties, an' no records of it ever existing could be found by any of us (Alex's dad was 'uh copper, an' he sneaked int'a the records office).
We was sittin', and I hear a floor board creak.

A day or so goes by an' me an' 'Manda was foolin' around on the floor ontop of a blanket; the usual, tongue in cheek (each oth'uhs cheek of course), hand in pants, hand up skirt. The hushed whines of passion and the smell of hormones filled us.

And then that damn loose floorboard broke. 'Manda's elbow went through it and hit something hard; she yelped, the mood died, I groaned.
Ah' couldn't see down in 'ere, but it was metal and 'Manda might'a broken her elbow.

'Ah told Frank as soon as I got home that 'ah was jes' messin' 'round at the factory when the floorboard had broke ( I left out the part 'bout me an' 'Manda playing grab'sies) an' he smacked me upside the head and told me to come clean wit' him. S'aw I told him 'bout me an' Jess's sister and he seemed cool wit' it.
We called up the gang the next day and we all went with crowbars.

I'll finish later.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:45 pm
Initial reaction arrow OMG ZAHMEN WROTE STUFF.

Reaction after read: ):< finish it! please?  

KirbyVictorious

lidless_i

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:57 pm
The accentuation seems to speak of a southern or western state. It's odd that it should look so strange to me (A New Mexican) in text but sound perfectly natural when spoken aloud. I don't really mean what you get by the fire already being there and comming up out of the ground, unless you mean an underground oil fire... or coal fire... Both of which produce carbon monoxide to my knowledge, making for very poor conditions for the poor break mill workers.
On a completely unrelated side note; have you ever smelled really burnt toast? Now apply that to a burning bread mill... the smell... man I can't even imagine the stench... well I can but I don't want to.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:32 pm
Ditto on the linguistic thing. (I'm a Texan.)

Burnt toast? ewwww....

All around the country, form coast to coast,
people always say, what do you like most?
I don't wanna brag, I dno't wanna boast,
I alwasy tell 'em, I like toast!
...YEAH TOAST!

When the first caveman drove in from the drags,
didn't know what would go with the bacon and the eggs,
must've been a genius got it in his head,
plug the toaster in the wall, buy a pack of bread and make toast!
...YEAH TOAST!

(cue fake french)
(more)
(and more)
(something about the Eiffel Tower)
FRENCH TOAST!

Xd excuse Kirby's randomness. ^^  

KirbyVictorious

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 pm
Not done yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:19 pm

do we really talk like that out loud?

OH NO!

Kirby can't talk slang!

or....with an accent!

damn.

stare  

KirbyVictorious

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:29 pm
KirbyVictorious

do we really talk like that out loud?

OH NO!

Kirby can't talk slang!

or....with an accent!

damn.

stare

Hey hey hey.
Read it aloud and you'll get it, it's not slang, what we do is we cut off syllables because we know what we're saying and so do other people.

PS. Check out Poetry and Lyriscism  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:55 pm
....................good point.

(>O.o)> *goes to see*  

KirbyVictorious

BlackHawkGS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:31 pm
Hmmm... the accent thingie was interesting. Though, it was a little weak in the beginning and seemed to build gradually into character. Not sure if that's how you planned or not. And you probably don't need that crazy amount of apostraphes; some of the slang words can end without apostraphes. Just something that threw off my reading a little bit.

Otherwise, I like the way it's going. Let alone, it's a Zahmen piece! Which is something we haven't seen in a looong time...

Finish it!  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:51 pm
FINIIIIIIIISH!  

KirbyVictorious

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:21 pm
I'm workin' on it, I added another paragraph.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:12 pm
3nodding  

KirbyVictorious

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:07 pm
Updated, sorry for the delay and absense, massive computer failing.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:55 pm
Dude. So. Lame.

FINISH ITTTT! Kirby wants more. ):  

KirbyVictorious

NovaKing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:34 pm
BlackHawkGS
Hmmm... the accent thingie was interesting. Though, it was a little weak in the beginning and seemed to build gradually into character. Not sure if that's how you planned or not. And you probably don't need that crazy amount of apostraphes; some of the slang words can end without apostraphes. Just something that threw off my reading a little bit.

Otherwise, I like the way it's going. Let alone, it's a Zahmen piece! Which is something we haven't seen in a looong time...

Finish it!

you know its funny. Whenever i hear the phrase "threw me off" i always picture a man ( or women, depending upon who said it) stumbling across a room.....(thats all.)  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games