Reply Facial & Oral Piercings
Healing Problems

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Switters

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:58 pm
I got my snakebites done Novemeber 15th, both at the same time. I've had problems with piercings getting infected previously, but I figured I'd just try really hard to take care of these. And everything went fine til about the 30th.

I don't have crusties on the outsides or anything but the area around the piercing on the inside of my lip has turned white-ish and is relatively hard. I'm not sure if that's scar tissue? or what. It's mainly just the right one doing it.

It still doesn't hurt, but I'm worried because it looks funny inside, and the area around the hole in question on the front is kind of pink now. I can spin the rings freely, I'm still wearing the ones the piercer put in and haven't tried to change them or anything.

For the first two weeks I was cleaning them like five times a day with the stuff he gave me, H2Ocean outside and Crest ProHealth mouthwash inside, and like twice a day after that cause the mouthwash is kind of expensive and I'm unemployed at the moment...

Any comforting thoughts, or should I be worried?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:07 pm
You should be using an alcohol free mouthwash. Maybe you are. I don't know, I don't buy mouthwash regularly anymore.

I've heard of that happening to someone in this guild, I swear I have, but it hasn't happened to me before.

And maybe you should try to clean it four times a day, you might be irritating it more than you should. Do it when you wake up, lunch time, dinner time, and before bed.

I hope I'm of at least some help. Good luck.

-Panty.Waste-

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:42 pm
The products you have been useing to dry skin out.
The white around your pierceings is most likely just dry skin, it happened around mine too.

They are NOT infected. Infected means swollen, very sore, and pussing odd colors. Your's sound a tad irritated.

You have probably been over-cleaning them as well, which can lead to more bad things. You should only be cleaning crusties off twice a day and mouthwash(or just sea salt solution) after you eat.
I found I only had to do this for about two weeks, anyway.

My recomendation... is just leave them alone. Dont touch them, dont try to turn them. Just leave the things completely alone and make sure they get water on them in the shower. The only reason you need to clean pierceings is to get the crusties off, and make sure nothing gets into the hole anyway.
Also get them downsized, it has been long enough and that will help them to not move around so much and help with the bit of irritation.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 pm
Those are all accurate recommendations. Definitely get a ring with a smaller diameter so it won't move around and irritate what you have already done.

apanda999

[NUTs]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:22 pm
-Panty.Waste-

I've heard of that happening to someone in this guild, I swear I have, but it hasn't happened to me before.

*raises hand* hehe i made a topic about it and showed a pic. that whiteness on the inside seems to be relatively common and nothing to worry about. mines about a month old and i'm also feeling a hardness but i'm guessing it's just part of the healing process. nothign to worry about (unless i'ts just me and you. in that case we shall panic together (but i doubt it))  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:35 pm
So I should go lower than the 14g they did it with? Like, 16g? There's not a lot of 16g jewelry out there, at least where I've looked (sadly just at a mall, not a big modding community round here) and even Glasswear Studios which I've heard people reccommend don't have 16g.  

Switters

Mesic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:06 am
You probably shouldn't worry about a smaller gauge, just a smaller diameter ring, to prevent the ring from sliding around too much.

You say you've had them for two weeks, so its fairly safe to say that the swelling is down? Try wearing labret studs that fit close to the lip, but have enough play to irrigate the piercing properly. I found that switching from a CBR to a stud helped my labret heal faster because I wasn't toying with the ring or moving it inside of the piercing as much when cleaning it.
Labret studs also work magnificently in troublesome ear piercings, by the way. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:35 pm
Mesic
You probably shouldn't worry about a smaller gauge, just a smaller diameter ring, to prevent the ring from sliding around too much.

You say you've had them for two weeks, so its fairly safe to say that the swelling is down? Try wearing labret studs that fit close to the lip, but have enough play to irrigate the piercing properly. I found that switching from a CBR to a stud helped my labret heal faster because I wasn't toying with the ring or moving it inside of the piercing as much when cleaning it.
Labret studs also work magnificently in troublesome ear piercings, by the way. ^^

Oh, downsize it as in get one that fits closer to my lip, I got it. Yeah the swelling is down. What should I look for in jewelry? I always just went to Hot Topic or Spencers but I keep hearing those places have poor quality metal.  

Switters

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:19 pm
Switters
Mesic

Oh, downsize it as in get one that fits closer to my lip, I got it. Yeah the swelling is down. What should I look for in jewelry? I always just went to Hot Topic or Spencers but I keep hearing those places have poor quality metal.

Your best bet would be to go back to your piercer for jewelry. They should carry high quality stuff that will fit you nicely.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:50 pm
Switters
Mesic

oh dear lord. Yes that would be poor quality.
Go back to were you got it pierced, and they should downsize it free.
If they wont look in the phone book for tattoo and pierceing shops, and give them a call asking about downsizeing and the quality of metal. You should be looking for 316LVM Surgical Steel. If they cant tell you what kind of metal is ... dont go there.

The better the metal the easyer it shall be on your body. I know a girl who left her septum ring in for about two years, kept it clean, and everything(she is a piercer herself). When she moved to a better shop she got new jewelry. When she took the ring out she had in it has partally disintigrated in her skin. gonk  

Artimus_Twitch

Mesic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:45 am
Warninglv100
Switters
Mesic

Your best bet would be to go back to your piercer for jewelry. They should carry high quality stuff that will fit you nicely.

I usually go to my piercer for plain surgical-grade steel jewelry, since he likes me and gives me a good price on individual pieces. I'll pay $4-10 for the same pieces Hot Topic is selling for $10-14, and get better quality.
I'm also a fan of bodyartforms.com and The Chain Gang when I want flasher jewelry... The Chain Gang's PVD-coat surgical grade titanium jewelry looks sweet, is nice and light, and is comparable in price to other high-grade metal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:14 am
Doesn't sound infected to me, perhaps irritated?, but... I haven't gone through something similar, so I can't really offer solutions. Sorries. D:  

Edible Lingerie!

Facial & Oral Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff