Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Your Thoughts..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nightingale_squall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:23 pm
During intermission at a play (I was Stage Manager and A.D.), some of the actors in the back got into this debate about God. One of the girls said that the only reason that God was created was so that people good blame someone for all their mistakes and bad comings and whatnot. She didn't really get to explain because the show was about to go on, so could anyone perhaps let me know where her reasoning comes from? I'm a little curious about that logic so...(Let it be known, that in the room, there was about two faithful Christian/Catholics and the rest were either No Religious beliefs/Athiest/Agnostic.) Oh, and I'm really sorry if the paragraph was confusing, you could always ask me to clear it up.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:27 pm
Hmmm....I can understand where she is getting.

Believing in some higher deity is a way of accepting and coming to terms with the bad things. It is also a way of making good things seem...better.

For instance my mother's first son was murdered by her husband. She's not highly religous but she does believe in a god. So in a way believing in some god, and feeling that there is a heaven where she will one day see her son when she dies....that brings a way of acceptance and closure.

In a way I think that is how she copes with the loss inside, with the idea of there being a heaven where she will see him again...that is the vibe I get when I hear her touching the topic.

The world back when humanity began was very cruel and unforgiving because we didn't have the stuff we have now. So in a way religion served as to help work out the good things and bad things that happen.

Sanguvixen

nightingale_squall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:10 pm
Sanguvixen

Believing in some higher deity is a way of accepting and coming to terms with the bad things. It is also a way of making good things seem...better.

For instance my mother's first son was murdered by her husband. She's not highly religous but she does believe in a god. So in a way believing in some god, and feeling that there is a heaven where she will one day see her son when she dies....that brings a way of acceptance and closure.

In a way I think that is how she copes with the loss inside, with the idea of there being a heaven where she will see him again...that is the vibe I get when I hear her touching the topic.

The world back when humanity began was very cruel and unforgiving because we didn't have the stuff we have now. So in a way religion served as to help work out the good things and bad things that happen.

It's you! 4laugh

Hmm..I see her logic now. The girl was agnostic, so the story helped things fall into place. Thankies!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:41 pm
nightingale_squall
Sanguvixen

It's you! 4laugh

Hmm..I see her logic now. The girl was agnostic, so the story helped things fall into place. Thankies!

It's me?

Agh! burning_eyes
It is me! ;runs from herself;

I'm glad to be able to help.

Sanguvixen

Edible Lingerie!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:55 am
Sanguvixen

That pretty much covers it.

God is pretty much what keeps people from being too scared of dying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:46 am
Edible Lingerie!
Sanguvixen

Yeah...and it also is what allows people to be blatently unafraid of death. Cue...Suicide Bombers?

"I will blow myself up, in the name of my religion! My body and the bomb will become one and we will wipe out many of the enemy!"

I was playing a video-game once, and some random person walking around a town said something very interesting.

It went something like "Religion is good when it can light the way, but when it's light is no longer able to illuminate the future it should just be tossed aside."

That is all religion really existed for. It allowed humanity to reach a certain point, and lit the way by offering hope, and motivation to kill and to be killed. It helped instigate many, many wars.

War is often the best time for innovation, and well...without war we wouldn't have much innovation, and we would be nowhere near what we are now.

Still though. We don't religion to explain things anymore, so what use is clinging to a rock that is just going to drag you down?

Sanguvixen

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:11 pm
Edible Lingerie!
Sanguvixen

Hmm, scared of death... Good explanations though, as they are true..  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:48 pm
She is correct, and mainly from a polytheistic perspective. Anceint civilizations (and still some today) base natural disasters/ natural blessings off higher-dieties, to attempt to explain what they could not in their material world. It also works from a monotheistic veiw, but not as well. It's plenty easy to say that an earthquake happened because god was angry perhaps for the destruction of a church. Slap a cross on it and call it divine. Everytihng now and then is all perspective. That's all religion is, one person's veiw on existence of anything, and anothers veiw on why cows aren't blue. Perspective is why some people can't accept others religions either. I'm gonna stop before i hit a speech. xp  

The Candy Store Massacre

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:34 pm
When you can blame something on the unexplainable, it makes life simpler.

The Martyr Of Intellect
Slap a cross on it and call it divine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:23 am
antiangel force
When you can blame something on the unexplainable, it makes life simpler.

The Martyr Of Intellect
Slap a cross on it and call it divine.

That is right. If something bad happens, God did it becuase you did something that made him angry, or becuase God has a reason.

If something good happens God did it also, becuase you did something to make him happy, or because he has a reason.

Ummm....oh yeah! If someone survives a difficult medical procedure...it is a miracle of god! It couldn't have been the will and hard work of the doctors, right?

Sanguvixen

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:03 pm
Yay for soceity, and all the things it just...doesn't.......get........... crying gonk crying  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games