HOSHIT ASIAN TATTOOS. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

8bit Girls Bravo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:54 pm
Angel de Lys
Well, on the subject of lover's names, I have my husband's name (next to mine on a banner) on my shoulder, but it's not alone, it's just the tip of a large composition tattoo with lots of meining behind everything in it. I think it's a loving thing to do and obviously shows a great deal of commitment to your life partner if your situation is permanent.

If, however, you're thinking "what if I break up/divorce", that is a big definite warning sign to NOT do it! It your doubting *forever* already, it's obviously a big no-no. The worst thing is having an ex stuck to you, and you wind up needing laser surgery to get rid of it (which is a lengthy and costly process), which is why many tattooists will *try* to convince you not to do it, but I was admament and made it very clear to my artist that I don't believe in tearing apart my family, and I would rather gauge my eyes out with a spoon, tear off my flesh, and roll in salt than ever leave my husband xd

On the subject of foreign lettering, I wouldn't do it unless it was in a language corresponding to my personal culture. An asian partner's name in kanji is understandable due to the partner's culture, but I prefer to stick to my own roots when it concerns myself. I am french through my father (live in Montréal, Québec), and spaniard through my mother. I speak and write fluently in both french and spanish. I think it would be meaningful to have something in either of those languages, and as a matter of fact, I have a particular project in mind.

I am going to be getting...probably on my right upper forarm (my left is taken, right one is still naked xd ) a cross, with the vertical and horizontal sides of equal length, and a fleur-de-lys on each end. I will also have a blue shield in the middle of it with three fleur-de-lys on it, representing the holy trinity. The cross represents my faith (I am Catholic) the fleur-de-lys ornaments represent french (they are royal symbols most commonly used by the french). The composition as a whole will also represent my history, as my city, Montréal, was founded by Catholic missionaries from France. The cross with fleur-de-lys and a trinity shield beautifully depicts this.

And where the text comes in...I want to have a beautiful script over and under it reading...

"Je Me" on the top, and "Souviens" on the bottom.

"Je Me Souviens" means "I Remember". It is a powerful statement concering my people's history, and it is also the slogan of Québec (written on all the license plates!).

I have a fleur de lys tattoo myself 8D
It's just a simple fleur de lys though. I like my tattoos to be more on the simple side, although I love your idea! My family's also from Montréal ;D
And I looove the religious imagery. I grew up Catholic, but I don't follow the faith myself, so I don't think I'd get it tattooed on me. :/

I generally think that getting writing tattooed on you in a language you don't speak and have no connection to is kind of tacky. Then again, I don't much like writing on tattoos in general (I couldn't tell you why, I just... don't), so there you go.

I'm also not really a fan of people getting boyfriends' names or w/e on them ... I dunno. My boyfriend of 3yrs is leaving the country in a few months and we'll be parting ways, and I kind of want something done that will remind me of our time together ... but I'm not going to get a giant "LEO" tattooed across my back, y'know?
I think it's a little different if you have a family. I don't know, I'm kind of torn, haha. I can see both sides to the argument, though ultimately /I/ wouldn't get a name tattoo, in English OR Kanji OR any other script.

And I would never get a kanji tattoo. There are WAY too many layers of meaning in kanji that I will probably never understand. If I want an Asian tattoo, I'd rather get Asian art tattooed on me, because I've studied it a lot more.

An acquaintance of mine had a kanji tattoo on his right arm. I always wanted to ask him why he got it, but I never got a chance before he left the country. (He was an exchange student from the Netherlands.)

woah I wrote you guys a book.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Celui qui jette son pain en riant...

Ahhh, another Montréalaise by inheritance!

Yea, religious imagery can be really pretty. I was also thinking of getting the Archangel St-Michel weilding his sword somewhere on my body, still undecided on the specs. The reason for that is my real first name is Angel, and he's the angel I've read about that I identify with the best.

I definitly agree with the language issue, as you've already read more or less. xd lol@ "LEO" across your back. My husband's name isn't ginourmous on me like that, rather it's a small part of a bigger piece, but yea, it's a subjective matter, and it really is completly dependant on the individual's comfort level with getting something so permanant (or semi-permanent, due to lasers being capable of burning them off if need be) done. Having kids together definitly further cements a permanent connection between us, though, yes.

I've seen kanji so overdone too. A friend of mine got a few symbols on his lower calf...NONE of which had great importance to him, he just thought they were the best looking ones out of the flash gonk

...le ramasse plus tard en pleurant

Angel de Lys

Maka Nani

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 am
My sister-in-law has one on the back of her neck that says "Race" and the person who tattooed it said it ment "Family"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:19 pm
Bree-bunny
A girl I really like and hope to date is half Japanese. If it works out between us I might have her name tattooed on my hip in Kenji.

getting someone's name tattooed on you dooms the relationship more often then not  

Dysphoric Melody
Crew

Aged Bloodsucker

Cayliin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 pm
Diseuphoric Melody
Bree-bunny
A girl I really like and hope to date is half Japanese. If it works out between us I might have her name tattooed on my hip in Kenji.

getting someone's name tattooed on you dooms the relationship more often then not

Agreed, I told my boyfriend I wouldn't get his name.
But I WOULD get a symbol to represent him.
Something that even I liked.
Seems like a better idea, no?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:07 pm
Cayliin
Diseuphoric Melody
Bree-bunny

I'd consider something like that too, but only for a really serious relationship.  

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

Cayliin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 am
dagon is a gloomy bear
Cayliin
Diseuphoric Melody
Bree-bunny

I'd consider something like that too, but only for a really serious relationship.

We're pretty serious :3
I'm actually drawing my boys tattoo
It's a ying-yang in the background, with two dragons over top.
I'm the light, he's the dark [Cause he's Indian and I'm White] ;3
That and I'm born in the year of the Dragon. biggrin
And He loves Dragon's. biggrin
It works  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 pm
I doubt I'd ever get anything in a foreign language. I identify with English a lot, it's the only language I can speak or read, and I'm happy with that. It seems almost pretentious to get something in another language permanently marked on me, that I can't even read without help.
That and the whole trust-thing, I'd never be really really sure that I didn't have 'I am a doughnut' tattooed onto me, rather than something meaningful.

As for names...I'd much rather get a symbol of the person that I can tie in to a personal meaning for other things, as well as that person. For instance, when my cat dies I'm getting a pawprint for her on my left shoulder, because that means a lot more to me than 'Lollyspot' would. And at some stage if I find a good design I may get a small dragon tattoo, which will have meaning to me personally (I've always liked dragons, and I read a lot of fantasy books) but it will also connect to my ex, because a dragon is just...her symbol. This'd be an okay thing, since my ex and I are still really good friends, and being with her helped me sort a lot of stuff out.  

Nekojin_cat

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Lance Castle
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:01 am
A guy I knew once had a tattoo that had some deep meaning. Something about never ending life... I cant remember.

One of my friends was with us one day and saw his tattoo, he asked the guy about it and waited til he left to tell me what it actually meant. It was actually something offensive, swears I think.

Thats why you should be very careful before you try it!
preferably get someone you know who can actually read it before you do it razz

Im actually thinking about getting a symbol in Chinese on my right arm. My roomate is chinese and he seems trustworthy enough so I think I might ask him to help me with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 am
Cayliin
dagon is a gloomy bear
Cayliin
Diseuphoric Melody
Bree-bunny

We're pretty serious :3
I'm actually drawing my boys tattoo
It's a ying-yang in the background, with two dragons over top.
I'm the light, he's the dark [Cause he's Indian and I'm White] ;3
That and I'm born in the year of the Dragon. biggrin
And He loves Dragon's. biggrin
It works
Im just curious and all but is he Indian as in from India? or Indian as in Native American?

The words are far too easily mixed where Im from xd  

Lance Castle
Crew

Sweet Little Poppet

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:28 pm
I don't think I would ever get something in another language. An old friend who moved got a kanji tattoo that was supposed to mean courage. It ended up meaning I think a cow? Its been a long time since I've talked to her but I know it means an animal. I don't think I would get someones name because it seems tacky to me.*shrugs* But people can do what they want with their bodies. I would get something to symbolize them though once we were married though.  
Tattoos

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff