Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Christmas

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you celebrate Christmas?
  yes
  no
View Results

bostaffskills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:41 pm
I'm pretty sure most atheists/agnostics celebrate Christmas, but I was just curious about whether everyone does. I mean, obviously not the religious stuff but the tree, presents, all that. Do you do it?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:33 pm
I still celebtrate it and know what it means and everything like that. But mostly because only few people in my family are atheists and we dont tell.  

SrPedobear

5,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 pm
||_______________________

• We've already had several christmas threads, so don't be surprised if this one gets a little quiet. xP

Yup, I do celebrate christmas still. The tree and presents to me are a secular part. You don't have to be christian to enjoy it. The traditions themselves are old ones and not tied to christianity. I know a girl from an English class last semester who was Hindu and still celebrated christmas with her family. They kind of just picked it up from having lived in America for some time.
_______________________||

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:47 am
We go over to my grandma's house on Christmas eve and then to my other grandma's house on Christmas day. Other than that, we have a tree and that's about it.  

essteff

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 am
I still celebrate Christmas. I just don't celebrate the religious aspects of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:15 pm
I adore Xmas... heck, I even go to church on xmas morning to please my mum, and see the cute kids show off their presents ^_^  

Elliebites

Sinister Soul

Questionable Inquisitor

10,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:35 pm
I don't exactly celebrate xmas. I visit my family, as that is a tradition. However, to me, it's just another day.

I like this:

End Christmas

Its from the same people who are doing the Blasphemy Challenge, but this one is to teach people the real roots of 'Christmas'.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 pm
Sinister Soul
I don't exactly celebrate xmas. I visit my family, as that is a tradition. However, to me, it's just another day.

I like this:

End Christmas

Its from the same people who are doing the Blasphemy Challenge, but this one is to teach people the real roots of 'Christmas'.

These guys must have about as much to do as WBC.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:15 am
I still celebrate Christmas with my family, its just I dont do all the religious crap. Christmas is more of a family reunion for me, and I love being able to see my grandparents. The presents our a cool bonus too, along with all the awesome food. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:50 pm
I celebrate that basics of the holidays as it dates back way into human history. I call it Xamas though.

I know Christians don't like the fact that people of other faiths celebrate the holiday, but then again they stole it from the pagans, and I don't know where the pagans got it from.

I think in every culture where there was times of cold and food shortage there was a "Christmas-like" holiday.

Sanguvixen

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:08 pm
I get called a hypocrite for partaking in christmas by my parents; i tried explaining to them that you can celebrate it without dragging religion into it but rolleyes when my 'rents aren't being intolerant assholes, we open presents and do all that stuff; they refuse to do advent because I refuse to participate; they don't seem to get that i don't care if they are christian, i just don't want to be expected to want to do religious stuff stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 am
I celebrate Jul
thats the Danish name for it, which also comes from the pagan past

So already in the name it's NOT christian
and my entire family is un-religious, so there is no christian hoolabaloo on the 24th (we celebrate it on the 24th all together, not the 25th, here in Denmark)

Which is why no christian in their right mind has any right to complain over me celebrating that

Sanddru

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 am
I do it because my family celebrates it and it's nice to have a time of the year where everyone gets together and ignores their differences to have a nice time together. And yes, I like presents. As I am human, and I like getting things. I like giving things, too, though. It's another way to show people how I care about them.

Humans naturally yearn for celebration in the wintertime. And it's understandable when you think about it. Winter sucks, emotionally speaking, for most people. Afterall, melatonin levels can go down. So I think it's acceptable for non-Christians to celebrate Christmas. Or any kind of winter holiday.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:44 pm
I celebrate it, but not religiously. To me, it's just an excuse to get together with family and friends, give and receive gifts, eat, drink, and be merry. What could be better than that?  

Yami-no-Albedo

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 am
I LOVE giving presents to my friends. But I do it all the time, so chrismas is unnecessary. My family keeps celebrating chrismas. But it becomes more and more of a last-minute thing every year as my brother also becomes disinterested.

This past chrismas, I somewhat happily decorated the house, due to a video on you tube called I LOVE CHRISTMAS by Chadagg.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games