Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Blasphemy Challenge

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You gonna do it?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe so
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:56 pm
Quote:
Official Battle Cry Prayer Day against "The Blasphemy Challenge"

An organization known as the Rational Response Squad, dedicated to "End the mind disorder known as Theisim", has released a Youtube video clip saying that they will send you a free DVD (The God Who isn't There, denouncing christianity and trying to prove God never existed) if you post your own video clip--damning yourself to hell and denying the Holy Spirit (an unforgivable sin). Sounds crazy doesn't it?

But people are falling for it.

This Friday we are asking teens all around the country to set aside atleast ten minutes of their time to pray against this "Blasphemy Challenge." Prayer may be the only thing powerful enough to stop this. "You have not because you ask not." This is a battle we cannot and WILL NOT lose.

Will you fight?

Quote:
What sick person would do this? For those who dont know, the blasphemy challenge is something people do to get a free movie about the non existence of god. What the participants have to do is record themself denouncing the holy spirit and in doing such damning themselves to hell. People have actually participated. As of about an hour ago there were 675 posts named blasphemy challenge on youtube.com most of which are taking the challenge and only a few going against the challenge. I know battlecry set up a national time for us to pray about this but we should be praying alot about this, not just at a specific time. I hope that this can be solved though I honestly dont think it will. This is in gods hands now and what ever happens will be best for all of us.

Both of these quotes are about the blasphemy challenge going on this very moment. Yes, these are from Christian sources. The person who told me about this was a Christian.

It's interesting that the theists knew about this before the atheists...  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:04 pm
Thats... interesting. I'm tempted to do it, just to say I did. But then... I don't really see any point in getting a free DVD about not beliving in god when I already don't. Meh. But its damn funny people are freaking out so much about it. "NUUU! Don't EAT my FACE off!" xd Dunno where that came from RANDOM.

In other news...

It makes it funnier to know that the theists knew about it before the atheists. "God doesn't believe in ATHEISTS."  

PickleBoy

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:43 pm
Honestly, I'm more pissed off at the RRS than anyone else. It's unnecessary and overly, albeit indirectly, hostile toward Christianity.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:57 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Honestly, I'm more pissed off at the RRS than anyone else. It's an unnecessary and overly, albeit indirectly, hostile toward Christianity.
Back to the ages of power, it's time for us to learn
One day it's far too late, too late for a return

I agree.

Arise from the cower, from the day on we have learned
It's high time to break the spell, that's chaining up the world

+Gloria Domini+

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:21 pm
The only thing that youtube video shows is that some of us are no better than most them. sad  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:31 pm
||_______________________

• If you want to deny god/s/whoever publicly, fine. You're trying to be open about something you feel strongly about. How you go about doing it is a different story I guess x.x

They do have a reason beyond pure hostility- "The Rational Response Squad encourages people to inquire, argue, reason and doubt -- not to believe something because they are told to."
        I can't tell what they're going for with "If this bizarre theory were not religious in nature, teaching it to children would probably be considered child abuse." It sounds over the top and like they're trying to be a little over the top. They could have done something much better with that rather than going in that direction.

But I wouldn't be pissed off at them. I get a mixed reaction. Unnecessary? I think it can be a good thing depending on what you make of it. It does something very good, it gives something to question. Even if you get a gut reaction of 'they're wrong,' then hopefully you're intelligent enough to not stop your train of thought there. I think getting pissed off and arguing and thinking about it is alot better than sliding along in unchallenged comfort.

Oh, i visited the site because I was curious if it was targeted at christianity only or not. Quotes are from the FAQ-
        http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/faq.html
_______________________||

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:18 am
c a u s t i c
||_______________________

• If you want to deny god/s/whoever publicly, fine. You're trying to be open about something you feel strongly about. How you go about doing it is a different story I guess x.x

They do have a reason beyond pure hostility- "The Rational Response Squad encourages people to inquire, argue, reason and doubt -- not to believe something because they are told to."
        I can't tell what they're going for with "If this bizarre theory were not religious in nature, teaching it to children would probably be considered child abuse." It sounds over the top and like they're trying to be a little over the top. They could have done something much better with that rather than going in that direction.

But I wouldn't be pissed off at them. I get a mixed reaction. Unnecessary? I think it can be a good thing depending on what you make of it. It does something very good, it gives something to question. Even if you get a gut reaction of 'they're wrong,' then hopefully you're intelligent enough to not stop your train of thought there. I think getting pissed off and arguing and thinking about it is alot better than sliding along in unchallenged comfort.

Oh, i visited the site because I was curious if it was targeted at christianity only or not. Quotes are from the FAQ-
        http://www.blasphemychallenge.com/faq.html
_______________________||

Hmm, I guess, but I still think they're trying to fight fire with fire, which is just "eye for an eye that'll leave the whole world blind." I wish them luck, but I'm still pessimistic about it. confused  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:26 am
wait wait wait.

There is no such thing as an unforgivable sin.

I'm an ex-Christian. The lovely thing about Jesus was that he made it through his perfect sacrifice that all will always be forgiven. And the only ones who go to hell are those who denounce god.

And....they can change their mind at ANY time. And God is supposed to take them back into his loving embrace.

So this is all bunk at best.

The fact that this scares Christians is .....worthy of my pity.

Why fight a battle that has no actual threat to it? It is once again pride...and uncertainty. They do not possess the faith their own religion is supposed to give them.

I truly feel bad for them.  

Niveous

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:44 pm
I find the blasphemy challenge pretty funny. They've found some pretty interesting ways of denying the holy spirit....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:33 pm
Niveous
wait wait wait.

There is no such thing as an unforgivable sin.

How ever the bible disagrees. It is said in 'the word of god' that blasphemy of the holy ghost is unforgivable. Who are we to argue?

I thought about doing this 'challenge', but I don't believe they are going about this correct. Basically, they are 'buying off' your 'soul'. I think true atheists should be able to do this without a reward or encouragement.  

Sinister Soul

Questionable Inquisitor

10,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150

cabbage3

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:33 pm
Sinister Soul
I thought about doing this 'challenge'
I think true atheists should be able to do this without a reward or encouragement.

Totally agree.

However I could use that free DVD, rip and burn copies, and send it to all christian people I know.

I don't know.. .just a thought.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 pm
If you think it's hostile or not, you have to admit it's a pretty good way to promote your product. If I had a video camera I'd do it.  

Ilikepie4

Niveous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:23 pm
yeah, it's weird that the bible disagrees.

I can't fathom something as stupid as an "unforgivable sin"

Think about it?!!!

That was why Christianity was sooooo HUGE.
It had no real commitment.

It was the greatest marketing scheme EVER invented. And the bible goes and messes it up by saying there are unforgivable acts. Tisk tisk.

And even if they are going a bout it in a bad way, this group against a God...any publicity is good publicity. Like they say razz

Even if it's not the best method...it is controversial...and will no doubt catch on like wildfire.

Hey, if you start making copies...make me one. That video looks pretty cool form the previews....a little ...shady....but still good.

I studied marketing, I can tell when people are pushing a message on someone rather than letting it sit neutral... lol  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games