Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Deja Vu

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Voxxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:38 pm
Hey guys! I wrote this for some stupid contest a while back, and thought I needed your wonderful expertise. Story time!-

The house is cold today.

I could feel it even while I was still swathed in the five blankets I kept on my bed for days like this.
I knew that as soon as I got my lazy a** out of bed, I was going to race for my dresser drawer and steal some pants to put on under my oversized T-shirt, but when I actually made the move to throw off my cover, it was like I had dreamed the whole thing. The air was…
Well, it was almost balmy.

I put a foot to the floor.

Nothing. No cold, no shivering toes. Not even cold enough for the hated pants.
But I wasn’t going to think anything of it; after all, I’m not a weather man. Instead, I hurried to the small kitchenette to nuke some day-old coffee before getting dressed.

It’s January, but the leaves are still changing colors. Matt used to tell me that the trees liked to change their minds as often as I do here, but it’s been a while since he’s been gone.

I spent my next eight hours at work. By habit and by choice, I’m a career girl. As my mother so aptly reminds me, what other choice do I have? It’s not like I have anything to come home to, except for a sinkful of dirty dishes and last night’s laundry sitting in a heap in my small living room. That night, I remember I was too tired to deal with it, any of it. The mother, the crappy apartment, the rotting laundry.
I went straight to bed, slept for a few hours, and came awake to the annoying sound of the morning talk show host. I reached for snooze button on my radio-alarm for a few more precious minutes of sleep, but before I hit the button
((the house is cold today.))
I shivered. I unwillingly stepped out of bed.

Damn you, I told myself. You’re too young for hot flashes. Or was it cold flashes? I don’t know, but the next thing I remember is opening the door to my car. I hadn’t passed out, because I could feel that familiar early-morning caffeine buzz and I looked fully dressed. But the only other thing I can recall from that day is coming home beat, and I can’t picture what happened at work, or what kind of take-out I schlepped out for dinner. The next morning,
((the house is cold today.))
I stole a glace at the thermostat in the corner of the room, but the air wasn’t cool, and I was happy to leave my blanket forgotten in the corner of my futon. When I stepped out of bed though, it was like my feet were numb. I ignored it.

I went for my morning pick-me-up. My fingers had obviously sided with my toes, and I couldn’t even get enough feeling out of them to punch the buttons on my Coffee Mate.

I remember sitting on the couch, gathering up what little nerve I had left to punch in Matt’s numbers on my phone, so I could call him and scream about my freaky week. I had put my senseless pointer finger to the “talk” button, and I finally felt the cheap plastic. He was coming over today anyway, and I didn’t really want to bother him for something that wasn’t even important. I didn’t want to be that clingy ex-girlfriend. God, I missed him. I slept around, and I was wrong and he knew it and I knew it, and God, my mother certainly knew it. But luck was on my side the day he left. He was in such a rush that all of his worldly goods stayed in my apartment: favorite CDs and tacky photo strips, that awful green couch. All that relationship crap, all his other sentimental crap meant that I had another chance to talk him back in here so I could explain that it was just one damn night, but he never came back.

You know, I even remember the day he left. Like any other self-respecting slag, I groveled and pleaded and begged, but I couldn’t stop him from getting in his ’99 pickup, so I got in too. He didn’t kick me out.
“I’m not coming back.”
It didn’t take me long to read the look in his eyes.
I knew he would eventually come to his senses and dump me off somewhere, so I had until he registered that I was in the damn truck to plead some more.

“Matt…”
“Shut the hell up.”
“Matt, where are you going?”
“Shut up!”
“Matt!”
“SHUT UP!”

"Matt!"
"Dammit Matt!"

I loved you.

And lights and blood and that amazing numb feeling in my foot, except it wasn’t really my foot because my foot wasn’t there. I couldn’t move and I couldn’t see and all I remember thinking is

It’s so cold. The house must be cold today.

I woke up the next morning, shivering in my five blankets.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:27 pm
iiiiiiiiiiread this.

You know I love it Voxxx.

heart  

KirbyVictorious

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm
I get it, but then I don't. neutral  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:49 pm
She's supposed to be dead when the story starts off, except she doesn't know it. The idea came from Just Like Heaven. The last sentence is reminiscent of the start of the story, like that deja vu feeling that you've done something before. In the end, or I should say beginning, 'cause it's supposed to be a freaky time-paradox, Matt crashes his truck, killing them both.  

Voxxx

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:21 am
Okay, reading it in that sense makes it much less confusing, whee  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:23 pm
xp Maybe I should make her more dead....  

Voxxx

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff