Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Just thinking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:13 pm
Has it occured to anyone but me, that in a school enviroment (grades 6th-12th mainly) that if your an atheist, that your not taken as seriously about things, especially religion, even if you happen to know more about it than the people in question? confused Just a thought.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 pm
Wow, that's the nicest I've heard you talk about Nick all day. Look, his dad's a reverend, of course he isn't going to really listen to you. rofl  

The Candy Store Massacre

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:21 pm
Not just me, it happens to other people in our grade too.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 pm
Yeah, it does seem that way.

The thought actually crossed my mind once to lie about my religion just so I could make a point in a debate.  

Tenth Speed Writer

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:42 pm
Its probably not just that you're an atheist (btw, it doesn't stop after 12th grade) but its that you're in that age range where nothing you do/say is taken seriously unless you poke out an eye. Just wait until you get to the age range where everything you do/say is wrong. And then the age where you just don't give a damn. And then comes the wonderful years of old age and everyone thinks you're so wise, but then turns around and talks about how you're such a looney. "Grandma/pa said that they drove in fossil fuel cars. Ha, what a joke. If that were true, they'd be a lot more mangled than they are now!"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:12 pm
Well in my school atheists are looked upon as insane people with no morales... stare  

Vedun

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:11 pm
When i was in 6th-12th grades, i never ever in my life knew atheists existed. And to certain extent i was still a believer back then. (private catholic schools will do that to you) until i hit public middle school and the flood of new ideas and concepts just made me "see the light" for what it is.

But i agree with Pickles here... hahaha, you're just at that age where whatever you say will be ignored, unless it's about topics that nobody really cares about and sounds smart for someone "your age".

HOWEVER, since it seems you're referring to a friend instead of an adult... well, you're just gonna have to deal with the fact that if he's been raised as a believer and he's gonna stay that way until he starts questioning himself or his beliefs. Nothing atheists try to beat into his head will work, because you are already demonized in his eyes, and of course, he's not gonna listen to demons now, is he? Maybe he'll ponder on the fact that there are people who don't believe in god(s) and are still "good people" and thus HE/SHE themselves will come to a conclusion as to why it works that way. It may be a reasonable conclusion, or it may be an intrusive conclusion reached by his church leaders who have decided what to make of the situation, and save him/her the bother of thinking.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:31 pm
In my school, people are fine with me being atheist. They look at it as another culture sort of. But for some reason, they think my opnions on poltics and religous contreversy matter less...hmm, I wonder why that is.
But what you're describing isn't too uncommon in most schools, the other ones I've been too are the same thing. I would have thought people should be used to it by now.  

russiangal367

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:16 pm
The Seven Deadly Sinz
Has it occured to anyone but me, that in a school enviroment (grades 6th-12th mainly) that if your an atheist, that your not taken as seriously about things, especially religion, even if you happen to know more about it than the people in question? confused Just a thought.

I see it happen all the time. The best you can do is keep it to yourself that you are an Atheist. If the person you argue with doesn't know you are one, than they'll take you more seriously when you know more than they do.

Thiests in high school tend to be that way becuase they were raised that way by thier parents. I'm not saying they all are though. However, you as an atheist are something they don't really understand, or know much about. However, naturally they are going to be aggressive towards something so different then them. Don't fault them for the way they are, just hope that as they get older they will learn to better tolerate what is different than themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:14 pm
The Seven Deadly Sinz
...OMG...

Not really...most schools won't let teachers and students interact on religion. Most teachers don't care.
neutral

GaiaTools.com Rockz heart

Triangular Dice

6,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Zoten

Distinct Explorer

4,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 pm
I know what you mean. I get it all the time here about being an atheist. I think it's a bit worse since it's South Carolina and people here are more closed-minded than usual. (Except for a few of course.) It's quite scary how some of these people act towards me....  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:58 pm
flyinghawkgirl
The Seven Deadly Sinz
...OMG...

Not really...most schools won't let teachers and students interact on religion. Most teachers don't care.
neutral

GaiaTools.com Rockz heart

A freind of ours was talking with her and being a d**k (not really much else to call him ), because she's atheist. Your right though teachers don't seem to care.  

The Candy Store Massacre

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff