Reply Ear Piercings
Helix: Still some questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

H o s h ! k o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:40 pm
I was all excited to get my helix pierced untill I went to double checked to make sure I was right about what helix meant, and some how got to ear collapsing... I had my top ear done with a gun (I know bad me, I was young and stupid) a few years ago and it got infected pretty bad and I just took it out and it healed up, no big deal. But now I see I could have been in serious trouble!! I'm a little worried now to get my helix done again, even with a needle.

Any one have comforting words?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:57 pm
As long as you take care of it and are patient with the healing process, you should be okay. You shouldn't have all the difficulties you had with the gun because it's being done in a MUCH safer fashion.

Go for it! You'll be fine smile Just as long as you baby it. Cartilage is a pain.  

popcornsharingbox

Edible Lingerie!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:07 am
Well, I know of pretty bad experiences people have had when piercing their helix/cartiledge, but... I am not those people and we all react differently to certain things which means that I can't really say what's gonna happen to you and I didn't know what was going to happen to myself and even though I had heard some bad stories, I still got it pierced (got an orbital) and I have been for almost a month with it and it is healing just fine and I haven't had any major trouble, if any at all, so far.

I understand where you are comming from though 'cause you have had the experience, but it is up to you in the end whether you do it or not, and the only thing I can tell you is that... whatever you get will probably look awesome, hehe. :] <3

Anyway, just take good care of it if you DO get it and remember that piercings done in certain areas take longer to heal so be patient with the process and don't mess with it to much (as in cleaning it a million times a day, 'cause that's sorta bad).

And, I agree with Eurydice in all she said. ;D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:59 am
Thanks guys. And it's probably really rare anyways right? And if it gets infected I'll just take it out really quick before the cartilage starts deteriorating. Good thing my mom insisted I take the earing out when it was infected before. My ear was huge and my mom wanted me to take it out but I was all like, "No, no it'll be fine, I'll just fight through this." But she made me take it out, yay mom.

Does getting it done with a needle hurt more or the same as a gun? Guns are quicker, but needles seem smoother.. if that makes sense. Haha.

H o s h ! k o

popcornsharingbox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:28 am
Guns are only barely quicker.

And hurt much worse.

Needles are very very sharp and pierce through your skin nice and clean, cutting way a very small section of skin on their way through.

Guns use the actual jewelry to pierce you with, and as you know, jewelry is by no means very sharp. A blunt object being forcefully shoved through your skin, pushing aside skin tissue all the while..

Hm..which one sounds more painful?

:grumbles more about piercing guns:  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 am
Well now I feel much better about the needle! Thanks. 3nodding  

H o s h ! k o

astrosnik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:12 pm
A needle won't actually remove skin, but it cuts a slot where the jewelry fits, and seperates the tissue. And it's sharp! Problems with cartilage damage are almost always due to impacted tissue from piercing guns.

Needles are MUCH less painful, quicker, and healthier. Cartilage still takes months to years to heal fully, but will feel comfortable a lot quicker!

I didn't know any better and got my helix done with a gun. While I didn't get that total cartilage collapse or infection, it did distort that part of my ear and flatten out the curve. (no horizontal industrial there now! : ( )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:11 pm
You shouldn't take the jewelry out of an infected piercing since it can trap the infection and cause an abscess. If it does get infected and you want to take it out it would be safer to check with your piercer first and see what they have to say about it.  

shoe_trophy

H o s h ! k o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Yeah I just read about how you shouldn't take the ring out if it gets infected on my after care sheet.

I got the ear done! Woo! Chickened out for the nose though, might try again tomorrow! When ever I start to forget about it, it starts to hurt again like my body wont let me forget about it, haha. She put a stud in, which I'm not too happy about. Guess you're suppose to specify. Oh well. Right now my ears throbbing. Should I clean it tonight before bed, or let it rest and start the twice a day cleaning tomorrow?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:00 am
I'm really pissed of now that she didn't put a hoop in. I can't clean it. How can I get to the skin if there's a big ball in the front and the earing back on the back? If I do get my nose done any time soon I'm going to ask her to put a hoop in instead. In the mean time, can any one give tips on how to clean it? After care sheet says to take a Q-tip with warm water and get any crusties off, how can I if the stud front and back are in the way? And I think it's a little swollen, there use to be a little space in the back but now it's gone. Help! I don't want to get a crusty build up like I did last time I got this pierced, the pressure hurt so much I couldn't take it and had to take it out.  

H o s h ! k o

vafalla

Original Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:53 am
When I got my helix pierced I would soak q-tips in a sea salt solution and rub that all around the piercing, then I'd take some of the solution and pour a little on my ear just to make sure I got everything. Try not to worry about it because stress can be bad for healing. It also helps if you let warm water run over it in the shower for a few minutes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:03 pm
I'll try to just relax and see what happens. Worried though I wont be able to clean it good with the big ugly stud in the way. Shower does sound like a good idea though. That would wash any crusties out. Here's a pic. Looks huge, but it's the same gauge as the other piercings there.

User Image

H o s h ! k o

astrosnik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:48 pm
How was it pierced, if it has a regular earring in it?! o_O

Take a shallow cup or bowl, put 1 cup water + 1/4 tsp salt (sea salt, if you have it), microwave it about 45 seconds or as hot as you can stand, and then crane your head all sideways to soak it for 5-10 minutes. That should loosen any crusties, and it helps draw out lymph. : )

As long as the jewelry isn't starting to imbed in the skin, it's okay that it's swelling. Some people experience that with cartilage. BUT, if it's really too tight, the piercer should be able to switch it for a longer piece (hopefully it's a labret stud and not a regular earring) or a proper-sized ring like you wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:40 pm
It was done with a needle. I assumed she'd put a hoop in so I didn't ask for one or anything, then when I looked in the mirror was pretty surprised to see a stud.

I'll try the cup tonight before bed. would epsin (sp) salt be ok too? I think my mom might have some. If not just regular table salt? And what's lymph?

I'm not sure what a labret ring looks like, but to me it looks like the studs I have when I got my lobes done with a gun. Because of the angle and everything it's hard to see it exactly. When I first saw it in the mirror it looked huge and I thought it was naval big (sorry I don't know gauge sizes), but my friend looked close for me and said it looked normal size to him.

The swelling has gone down though, it might have just been a little irritated from sleeping on it.

I'm going to try to get enough nerve to get my nose done tomorrow, and if I do, I'll ask about having a hoop instead in the ear. That is the better choice right?

H o s h ! k o

popcornsharingbox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 pm
astrosnik
A needle won't actually remove skin, but it cuts a slot where the jewelry fits, and seperates the tissue.

@_@ dur. I feel slow.  
Ear Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff