Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Good Computer/Notebook brands Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

master of light and dark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:51 am
i would have to see the specs to fully understand how good your computer is, but toshiba in general has some pretty good laptops. i am a mac fan but they are to expensive for me so i went and bought a HP DV5 laptop. i love me laptop its like my child.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:51 am
I'm surprised no one has said Sony Viao yet. surprised

The Viao laptop is very well design and well built. It's similar to a Mac book pro in feel. It's powerful and reliable. A bit more expensive for a PC (not too bad though) but it's worth it.

The other laptop that I like is the Mac book pro. Powerful, works well, great for graphics. It is expensive and doesn't run many games (bad if you are also a gamer). You can try a dual boot or emulator for PC only software, but I don't like running windows on a Mac. It just seems sacrilegious to me.

Both these computers are great and work well for graphic design.  

Oni Warlord

a love song away

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:31 am
Honestly, PC's and I have a big issue with each other. I hate them, and they hate me.

If its something you want to seriously get into, eventually I'd suggest moving on up.

I'm on a macbook, now. But my old, huge, imac g3 that was released on os9 still runs better than my year old pc notebook.

It is a toshiba.

I hope yours does you more justice. I suggest every anti-virus program you can add on, cause personally I think Bill designs the viruses himself to keep you buying more computers and software.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:55 am
Larzar
The Striped Cow
Larzar
I like Dell, Mac and HP.

Acer = bleh.

But it rea;;y depends on the specs, ram, hardrive, ghtz.

hey i dont know much about computers.i was wondering that about acer many people say that its a good brand others say that is not good.so why is it bad?does it work well with the graphic design programs or no?and why?sorry is just that i want to know.that way ill know what will suite my interests better.

A friend of mine had problems with his-

It mostly comes down to personal preference. AS you probably know the never ending debate on what is the best computer brand simply cannot be answered, exspecially if it is Mac vs. PC.

Rule of thumb, you get what you pay for.

If you buy a computer for a price that is too good to be true, it probbaly is.

oh.yes you are right.personally i think mac is better for graphic design,illustration and stuff.but i don't know, thats what i think.Which computer would you recomend like what brand and model.HP I've work with and is good,i like it.Dell i have not worked with.is it good?Like what price do you think a good computer should have?just to know.  

The Striped Cow

silverdragon372

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 am
with comparing pc vs mac you also have to look at what you plan on doing? like design vs animation for graphic design a mac is best but for animation or hi-end cgi pc are better

and some good pc if you have the money are talons or Vtech from falcon.com or get a cheap pc from dell and then look at the specs and double the amount in ram, memory and processor and you'll be good with that pc or mac  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:25 pm
I have a Toshiba notebook and I love it heart  

Sumomo4life

PhoeJynx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 am
I have a Toshiba laptop, but I wasn't exactly thinking of graphics when I got it. I didn't know exactly what I was going to school for when I got this laptop, for me I was just thinking college = note-taking = laptop! I, as of now, don't have any CS programs on my laptop, but I know I will very soon. However, I don't want to go purchase all the programs and put them on my Toshiba laptop when I would love to save up and get a Mac! Either way I think this is all mostly about how much ram you have and all that other important stuff, not necessarily the brand name...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:23 pm
well, any brand is good to start off with... of course, varied for purpose, but most purposes are listed above. the only one that hasn't been listed is the fact that Mac has a really good virus defence. many people who have Macs will probably say that it's impenitrable, but it's not. there isn't a virus protection made that can stop everything. and no matter how many you put on a computer, there's still going to be that one. and when that's found, it'll be edited, etc., more problems, new software, blah blah.
that set aside, you can take a computer and make it into a completely different computer. just make sure you get a computer that has a motherboard that has much room for upgrades/add-ons. RAM isn't as much of a problem as people give it. it's just Memory that is used as a help line for the proccessor. nothing is permanently saved to it. every time you turn the computer off, it erases* itself. so you can take them out and replace them without changing anything on your computer, other than the larger RAM. the hard drive, which will slow the computer when it's full, can be easily fixed. just purchase a new one, set it to 'slave' (read manual if you don't know how) and hook it up. as long as your main hardrive is set to 'master', it's good. the amount of slaves you can have varries depending on the motherboard and the tower case.
as for software, you never want to download, whether it's free or not. well, you can, but there's always that small chance that a virus sneaks its way in. however, that is just personal reference.
the proccessor, that doesn't save everything. easier explained in an example:
say you are playing a game. hypothetically, you play for four hours. that would take alot of memory, if it was all saved. when you save the game, the proccessor places a mark of all of the details of that save, but not how the details came to be. so, instead of four hours of memory gone, it saves only a second. and, when you pick it up later, it'll erase that save as soon as you start. of course, that save will be saved in the harddrive, so if you don't save and shut it off, it's still accessable. so, the proccessor is also replacable.
so, as long as you get the preffered compony's hardrive and operating system, you will be able to fix it up. so, juging by the posts previous, my recomendation is a Mac. make sure it has a high-grade motherboard. the tower case can be switched, so it's not at the top of the list, but it does need enought ports for what you emediately need. everything else, you should look at, with the good motherboard, compare them and the prices, and get what you can afford from there.
IMPORTANT!!
Windows Vista = BAD
if anyone does go to Windows. it officially sucks, and that is where the Accer complaints i've heard of start at. i tried it... not good. Vista did come out with a new version, or it's still not out yet, but i haven't been able to see much of it. one of my old teacher's wife works with Windows, so they got the program before it was released, so i've seen it. but i haven't done anything more than just see it. XP
also note, Vista looks beautiful when you see it for the first time, but when you try to use it, well, the more you see, the more you understand. i wouldn't get that until the new programs can only be used on that and whatever Mac has at the time.  

Miuki Vulom

Jaruga

Quotable Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 am
For desktops I always get an Acer PC.
They are really good. The laptops from acer are not though.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:44 am
The Dell XPS line of Laptops are pretty sweet, actually. I know several people with them, and they are some of the most powerful laptops you can get. Granted, the people I know who got an XPS wanted it as a gaming laptop, and for this purpose my ex's still holds up now and plays the new games even though he got it about three years ago. As far as really high-end laptops go, the XPS series is also quite well priced.

The only laptop I was able to find that could compete to the Dell XPS series graphics-wise was the Sager (or, Clevo) laptops. I got a Clevo M860TU (Can't remember what Sager labels it, 8660 I think) in February, and I am totally in love with it. It plays games like a charm, and I've never had any problems with graphics software. Also, it has this ridiculous no-frills-all-business appearance that I love. My Sager also came with no bullshitty software installed on it when I got it (the closest it came to that was some software for the blu-ray drive), and it shipped with an actual Windows XP cd, as compared to the "safe recovery"-type disc you get with most computers.

I also have an MSI Wind, which is an excellent little netbook. MSI has some bigger laptops as well, which I've never tested out, but I love my little Wind enough to pimp the brand a little.

I have, also, heard good things about Toshiba laptops, particularly from Mac geeks ("If you aren't getting a Mac, then at least get a Toshiba").  

clocktock

Technicolor Rave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 am
For PC's, I've usually had the most success in HP's or computers from Dell. They have real good durability, my family had one that lasted from the time I was in 3rd grade to 7th grade, which is a long time for me. razz My current PC is a Dell Hp Vista(although I hate the vista part) that is pretty decent! AlienWare is a very high-up computer that I highly recommend, not only for gaming, but it's graphics are high for gaming, which equals high graphics for images. (:

Laptops, I'm not totally sure on. I've just recently got from Christmas a Studio from Dell. It's Windows 7, but it's still pretty nice. Lots better than Vista, in my opinion. The quality is very good, graphics are good (although I did upgrade it a bit) and it's a general all-around laptop that I love. I haven't had a laptop for a while though before this, the last one being a 2004(? maybe) Dell laptop that did last a pretty long time, even though it was Dial Up.

Macs, I've never had one. Although, I've played with one of my friend's Mac PC and it's more for graphics than a PC. PC is more number and scientific based, while Mac is more graphics and image based. I recommend Mac's for people in the musical or art industry, because of the high quality it has and the more focus on music/art than a PC. Although, I wouldn't want one quite yet, since I'm in high school, because it wouldn't be an 'all-around' computer I'd want for school and art, ya know?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 pm
Graphic Designer you said?

Apple.  

Le Pierre

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items