Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My recent veiws on atheism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:40 pm
As of recently I've been assesing my life, and while I don't beleive there is a god, I find my self joking about praying with my freinds, I use the words Jesus, god, and lord 30+ times a day, but usually in a flippant manner. I don't even mind having just biblical discussions, not from a disproving standpoint, but just because the conversation is there. So basically is there a term for someone who just doesn't care about religion one way or another? I feel that's the best way to describe what i'm talking about. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 pm
Well, honestly, it's not the first time I've seen it. I doubt there's a term though. I have several friends who don't care. With that kind of apathy and lack of interest it seems kind of nonsensical to have an actual term for it. It's not uncommon, though.  

Dread Dionaea

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:09 am
I call it "heaven." I can think of nothing more wonderful than a place where no one could give a s**t less about whether there is or is not a god. *Sigh.*

But, back to the first post, I do that stuff too. I always thank Jesus when something good happens, or pray for things, but i'm just doing either because it's just become a figure of speach or because it's funny. I have a nasty habbit of asking "Anubus" to spare my life when I think I'm gonna die (I was REALLY into Egyptian mythology for a while). So I wouldn't worry about.

But, yeah, indifference is bliss.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:04 am
Dathu
I call it "heaven." I can think of nothing more wonderful than a place where no one could give a s**t less about whether there is or is not a god. *Sigh.*

But, back to the first post, I do that stuff too. I always thank Jesus when something good happens, or pray for things, but i'm just doing either because it's just become a figure of speach or because it's funny. I have a nasty habbit of asking "Anubus" to spare my life when I think I'm gonna die (I was REALLY into Egyptian mythology for a while). So I wouldn't worry about.

But, yeah, indifference is bliss.

I do find it nice, and it helps make for alot of funny situations. To dread, I believe you hit it square on with apathy; I find so very little motivation to do things, and If religion has the ability to fall in there it would make alot more sense.  

The Candy Store Massacre

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:52 am
Well, an atheist doesn't really care about churches, since he "knows" theres none that represent something real. So that would fit your situation. Also, agnostic could fit, since the agnostics know there's no way to know for sure if there's a god, so they do with their lifes as they see fit without worrying if there's gonna be a church who could/would judge them about their life choices. (well... most of the agnostics i know anyway)

And i think those jokes apply to almost errrbody. Cuz i say lots of times the "baby jesus" and "praise jesus" phrases too. However, i do laugh very loud afterwards cuz it reminds me of that episode of the simpsons where Bart supposedly has vomited all the evil that he had inside but then picks up a chicken bone and throws it at lisa and he raises his arms while shaking his hands and says something along the lines of "praise the lord i'm on the way to recovery!" and maggy then goes and imitate bart with the hands gestures... rofl rofl

hahaha... funny stuff... however, not so much once it's been described by me... but whatever it's still funny to moi.

back to the topic tho, i do think atheist or agnostic fit this kind of attitude so there's no need to come up with another term... i think.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:47 pm
A good example of the flippant relgious laughs I'm refering to, can be found in my current signature actually.  

The Candy Store Massacre

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:05 pm
Hmmm....you could try the word Nihilism. That is a belief that nothing matters. So nihilistic people just don't care one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm
Sanguvixen
Hmmm....you could try the word Nihilism. That is a belief that nothing matters. So nihilistic people just don't care one way or the other.
I'd use it if I was completely uncaring, but I still care about enough to not really fairly use that term.  

The Candy Store Massacre

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:27 am
You could go with Agnostic, but that may be inaccurate since you don't actuall believe in God. An Agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in God for whatever reason, but usually because there isn't sufficient evidence to support either side.

I think you're just open minded. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you have to be militant about it. There are penty of people who do believe in God but don't attend any religious institution or read any holy text. Some people don't even identify themselves with a certain religion. If you feel that "Atheist" is too much of a loaded word to describe your beliefs, you can try "not spiritual" or "not religious." Or you could just say "I don't believe in God." Either way, I don't think it's anything to really worry about.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am
CleverScreenname
You could go with Agnostic, but that may be inaccurate since you don't actuall believe in God. An Agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in God for whatever reason, but usually because there isn't sufficient evidence to support either side.

i would generally agree... tho i know a few people who claim agnosticism mainly for the same reasons you stated.
i guess they generally do not believe in a god or whatnot, but are also to apathetic to really care to much about it. tho they generally leave some room for doubt in the concept of there being NO god. the gist i generally get from agnostics id that why should they worry either way. they dont generally believe there is a god, but they dont necesarrily DISbelieve 100% either... and then ultimatly they dont care to look to deeply into it either way.  

C.E.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff