Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Gahndi was racist

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:55 am
I thought this would be an intersting thing to share. This may not be a religious topic, but I found this interesting site on another form that talks about how Mahatma Ghandi was actully racist towards black people. http://www.trinicenter.com/WorldNews/ghandi4.htm  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:34 am
I stopped reading after the first paragraph where it said "Gandhi loved the Caste system." Anyone who has done as little as a two page book report on the life of Gandhi knows that he spent the latter half his life trying to abolish the Caste system in India. And besides, that websit doesn't look very reputable.

However, I know Gandhi used to be racist, but that was also when he considered himself British and was under the Aristocratic ideology. He changed a lot when he started fighting for India's independence.

Also, I don't know why it has become "popular" to attack Gandhi. I've been seeing a lot of threads on Gaia about this, and I don't know why. Maybe kids are starting to idolize Gandhi, so people are just trying to mortalize him. But why? I mean, who cares either way. It's not like he freed American's from the British. Even if he was a racist, what affect does that have on American society? Ya know? Like, I'd get it, if we were talking about JFK or Clinton, but if you told Xiao Ming hated the Han society, I'd be like "Okay." ninja

Dathu

Newbie Noob

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:41 am
Dathu
I stopped reading after the first paragraph where it said "Gandhi loved the Caste system." Anyone whose done a two page book report on the life of Gandhi knows that he spent half his life trying to abolish the Caste system in India.

However, I know Gandhi used to be somewhat racist. but that was also when he considered himself british. He changed a lot when he started fighting for India's independence. I also don't know why it has become "popular" to try attack Gandhi. I mean, who cares either way. It's not like he freed American's from the British. Even if he was a racist, what affect does that have on American society? Ya know? Like, I'd get it, if we were talking about JFK or Clinton. But if you told Xiao Ming hated the Han society, I'd be like "Okay." ninja
It seems to have become popular to attack all leaders. Many people really attack Martin Luther King for plagiarizing his dissertation. In a way though, this is good. I think it's better to humanize our leaders than to put them on a pedastal that is comparable with a religious diety. But, at the same time, many people who attack these leaders also seem to overlook how they changed the world for the better. Which to me seems just a little bit unfair.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:54 am
CleverScreenname
Dathu
I stopped reading after the first paragraph where it said "Gandhi loved the Caste system." Anyone whose done a two page book report on the life of Gandhi knows that he spent half his life trying to abolish the Caste system in India.

However, I know Gandhi used to be somewhat racist. but that was also when he considered himself british. He changed a lot when he started fighting for India's independence. I also don't know why it has become "popular" to try attack Gandhi. I mean, who cares either way. It's not like he freed American's from the British. Even if he was a racist, what affect does that have on American society? Ya know? Like, I'd get it, if we were talking about JFK or Clinton. But if you told Xiao Ming hated the Han society, I'd be like "Okay." ninja
It seems to have become popular to attack all leaders. Many people really attack Martin Luther King for plagiarizing his dissertation. In a way though, this is good. I think it's better to humanize our leaders than to put them on a pedastal that is comparable with a religious diety. But, at the same time, many people who attack these leaders also seem to overlook how they changed the world for the better. Which to me seems just a little bit unfair.

Also though, sometimes these allegations are just false. What good does it do when we are so desperate to humanize that we lie? I think that's the problem. People are people, and are by default flawed. So if Jeckson had slaves, so be it. If JFK cheated on his wife with Marilyn, so be it. But lying will never help anything, it'll just cheapen one person's contribution to world, like you said.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces