Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is it just my imagination...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:03 pm
Or is there a great deal of pointless, one-sided flaming going on in this guild lately? To be honest, there's little better in some of the threads that I've seen recently than there is in the individuals they intend to attack.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:22 pm
I'm kind of feeling that, too. It seems to go beyond just venting frustration.  

CleverScreenname

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:27 pm
I've noticed that some people here are just disdainful and aggressive in general.

I'd much rather that thiests and athiests, races, orientations, lifestyles, and all that just got along. I mean, my boyfriend's Roman Catholic and my whole life is motivated by science. We get along just fine. It's really not so hard at all. And you know, we're different races, but that's not really the point of my statement either.

I wish that people understood that debate is the battlefield of rationale and respect alike. There's too much shallowly-veiled sneering and hate. People aren't stupid. They can tell when you think they're idiots, even on the internet. Even when you think it's covered up, it's not.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:33 pm
You know, this is an issue that has consistantly reoccured since the guilds conception. But I think this is less of a problem and more of an opportunity. The fact is that most of our new friends that join are on the younger side: under 18. so their just begining to develope what kind of Atheists they are. Now, some of us are fortunate enough to be rather peaceful and tactful in our complaint about religious aggression, but there will always be those those individuals who are having a hard time being such a persecuted minority that they feel that the only way to even the score is to viciously flame. True, it is guild policy that pointless hate isn't welcome, but insted of attacking or flamming these people back for a simple and common mistake, I feel we should do our best to find what the source of this anger is and address it in a comforting and civilized way. As I said, many of our new commers are just developing. Well, then let's help them develope into better Atheists. Let's not shun them or scold them for being rash, but try to guide them to more rational thinking. Let's give them the logic and science that explains why they feel what they feel.

I am of the belief that there is no common personality for an Atheist. I think we are as varitous as flowers. We come in all shapes and size, all colors and creeds. If we come here looking for homogony, we're not gonna find it. And I am convinced that the reason Atheisim appeals to suck a spectrum of people is because the truth knows no culture, no dress code, no race. All who can will see it.

Okay, maybe I'm starting to rant now. But I think you get what I mean right? sweatdrop

Right?
ninja  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:19 am
You're talking like we have some kind of goal that we're trying to program into them. O.o  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:28 am
Maybe the goal to be a "better" atheist woudln't be so bad... however it does sound like preaching to me.

And look. Being a participant in this flaming that has been going on lately i can safely attribute it to my getting tired of seeing RETARDS all around me. I live with them too, and though they may not be ignorant about a lot of things, it doesn't mean that they should not called out idiots from time to time. Why? because "********."!! They are basing their lives on books that just about any ******** stoner of the time could have made up! They believe they feel "spirits" and ghosts, because "there just isn't any other way to explain it!" but if it wasn't enough, these ******** MORONS look up in their books to justify their sending of troops to kill people on the other side of the world. They try to attest that by killing the people that surrounds them is this ******** "god"'s will because it's "right here, in this HOLY scripture!"

So why the ******** not lash back at the ******** or make fun of them? Bitter sarcasm and flames in a place that they don't usually visit, among those that believet that they are wrong (because we all know that if there is any god at all, it is NOT a ******** judeo-christian one) should not raise anyone's eyebrows, seeing as this is what most of us already feel. But because of "good manners" or PC'ness we don't say it aloud.

They're ******** up MY world, so why the ******** should i respect them at all? "turn the other cheek" you say... but i say BULLSHIT.

(i acknowledge the existence of "believer" foundations that try to help the poor, needy or the abused in other countries, but it's this ******** notion that gets the world ******** up in the first place.)

*walks away to cool off*

PS. Haha... those are a lot of f words. Blame it on my english learned from movies like pulp fiction. AND my anger  

AnonymouZ

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:43 am
Anonymouz
Maybe the goal to be a "better" atheist woudln't be so bad... however it does sound like preaching to me.

And look. Being a participant in this flaming that has been going on lately i can safely attribute it to my getting tired of seeing RETARDS all around me. I live with them too, and though they may not be ignorant about a lot of things, it doesn't mean that they should not called out idiots from time to time. Why? because "********."!! They are basing their lives on books that just about any ******** stoner of the time could have made up! They believe they feel "spirits" and ghosts, because "there just isn't any other way to explain it!" but if it wasn't enough, these ******** MORONS look up in their books to justify their sending of troops to kill people on the other side of the world. They try to attest that by killing the people that surrounds them is this ******** "god"'s will because it's "right here, in this HOLY scripture!"

So why the ******** not lash back at the ******** or make fun of them? Bitter sarcasm and flames in a place that they don't usually visit, among those that believet that they are wrong (because we all know that if there is any god at all, it is NOT a ******** judeo-christian one) should not raise anyone's eyebrows, seeing as this is what most of us already feel. But because of "good manners" or PC'ness we don't say it aloud.

They're ******** up MY world, so why the ******** should i respect them at all? "turn the other cheek" you say... but i say BULLSHIT.

(i acknowledge the existence of "believer" foundations that try to help the poor, needy or the abused in other countries, but it's this ******** notion that gets the world ******** up in the first place.)

*walks away to cool off*

PS. Haha... those are a lot of f words. Blame it on my english learned from movies like pulp fiction. AND my anger

I live in the HEART of it. My entire day is centered around Christian beliefs and living with it all.

And you know what? I do so easily and happily.

Getting pissed at them for what they believe, what you're doing right here, is just making matters more uncomfortable for everyone, and dragging us one step back from happy coexistence. I suggest that you take a few minutes to look around and see if you really are being forced to do anything truly detrimental.

You're a minority. 70 odd percent of this country is Christian, and all but a few percent theist in some way or another. Even in what I deal with, it's not hard at all to be happy and content, so until someone actively harasses you personally, DON'T assume that you're being oppressed. This country is more tolerant than you might think.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:11 pm
Dathu
You know, this is an issue that has consistantly reoccured since the guilds conception. But I think this is less of a problem and more of an opportunity. The fact is that most of our new friends that join are on the younger side: under 18. so their just begining to develope what kind of Atheists they are. Now, some of us are fortunate enough to be rather peaceful and tactful in our complaint about religious aggression, but there will always be those those individuals who are having a hard time being such a persecuted minority that they feel that the only way to even the score is to viciously flame. True, it is guild policy that pointless hate isn't welcome, but insted of attacking or flamming these people back for a simple and common mistake, I feel we should do our best to find what the source of this anger is and address it in a comforting and civilized way. As I said, many of our new commers are just developing. Well, then let's help them develope into better Atheists. Let's not shun them or scold them for being rash, but try to guide them to more rational thinking. Let's give them the logic and science that explains why they feel what they feel.

I am of the belief that there is no common personality for an Atheist. I think we are as varitous as flowers. We come in all shapes and size, all colors and creeds. If we come here looking for homogony, we're not gonna find it. And I am convinced that the reason Atheisim appeals to suck a spectrum of people is because the truth knows no culture, no dress code, no race. All who can will see it.

Okay, maybe I'm starting to rant now. But I think you get what I mean right? sweatdrop

Right?
ninja

Exactly, myself for example am going to refer to myself as Sanguvixen said.. a Nillhist? Not sure, don't remember where that thread got off to... I have no reason not to consider myself an Atheist, but I also have no reason to be agrresive to any religion except scientology.(Which shouldn't count) On the other hand, agressiveness can be returned when one is agressed first. (Is agressed a word?)  

The Candy Store Massacre

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:26 pm
You are not the only one to notice a sudden surge in aggressive posts here. It has been a few days since popping my head in here and I'm a bit surprised.

There is some new blood in here. There is old blood in here too.

I look at this guild as a place for Atheists and Agnostics to discussion thier ideas and distensions regarding religion....but not as a place to flame them. I've seen a lot of that. It is a place to grow in your feelings, and to feel comfortable discussing things that you otherwise might not be able to bring up. You should learn how to do it...politely....or as politely as possible.

I want to warn all of you that this isn't what the Guild exists for. You can have your angst towards religion. I understand why there exists angst, tension...and so on.

But when you flame them as some of you have been doing...you are no better and no worse than many of the people who you call upon for thier behavior in certain theistic sites and areas. You might want to tone it down a bit becuase eventually you will have to learn to live peacably alongside religion. I think if you can master your feelings while on line, than it will be easier to do the same offline.

The fact still stands that according to statistics we are still the least trusted minority. The world would sooner choose Theists over us. So adding fuel to the fire won't help things. Try to keep things friendly....and not resort to doing as many zealot theists do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:33 pm
Anonymouz

*walks away to cool off*

Who is the least trusted minority as far as statistics and polls go? Who? Who? Oh yes....us.

Like it or not the world gives more support to believers in gods than non-believers in gods. There are a lot of less than savory people around.

Hey...I didn't like being singled out by rabid theists. I never like it...especially when I mind my own business and they make the assumptions. Who is it that came off looking bad? It wasn't me becauase I stayed polite and watched my tounge.

You have to think about how the world percieves you as an Atheist when it comes to what you have to say. So you don't have to turn the other cheek, but fighting fire with fire...is not exactly the most intelligent idea around. You fight fire with water, so when people act like idiots, flame athiests, and spout random bull-s**t you fight that with calmness, logic, and lack of flames.

You don't lash back as they do to us, because if a theist gets vicious and a atheist gets vicious back it is the atheist who gets looked down upon first in many cases. Having good manners has it's share of rewards because I might not exactly get my point across all the time by being more nice and polite, but a hell of a lot more people come to my side when I debate.

Sanguvixen

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:40 pm
Sorry in advance because I started typing this much earlier in the day but I'm bad at getting sidetracked so it's probably rambly. xP

There's more activity lately and more new people, which is why you notice it more probably. And there are people who like to just call theists idiot ******** and leave it at that. I'd like to know why they are idiot ******** and who indeed 'they' exactly are. In other words, if you are discussing something then you are free to take any position you want but I'd rather not see it always end with easy flaming.
We can't just let everything end with 'cuz they're stupid' no matter what the topic is. If we treated all subjects that we discuss, religious and otherwise, that way then this guild might get pretty empty fast.

I don't expect everyone who comes in here to be different or better than any other group of people. We're all human, we're going to get angry, we're going to not think things through some times. The best we can do is help when we can and we think someone could be corrected or asked to elaborate. Someone can pop in and say stop flaming as much as they want, but that alone won't really help. If you see someone discussing something and you disagree, you can post and explain it. We've never been a guild to really just jump on them and say 'no, bad, you flamed.' I think of it more as, if you want to try giving a stereotyped answer then do so but don't be surprised if someone questions you back. It should be open for discussion either way.

Anonymouz
Bitter sarcasm and flames in a place that they don't usually visit, among those that believet that they are wrong (because we all know that if there is any god at all, it is NOT a ******** judeo-christian one) should not raise anyone's eyebrows, seeing as this is what most of us already feel.

Well, I'll tell you it does raise my eyebrows at least.
In most cases it's not about being politically correct, it's about using flames to skip any thought or logic when talking about an issue. That's what I personally don't like. Kinda like if a theist posted something such as 'Oh well, don't worry about it, you know how those immoral atheists are', without the intent of sarcasm.
I don't know if I quite replied to what you were saying x.x

---
And just in general, if people feel they want to PM me, or crew, about something or anything more specific- feel free to.
Not quite sure if people are bringing this up as a guild problem in how it's dealt with, or just something they'd like to discuss.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games