Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Iraq "War"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:44 pm
news.yahoo.com/page/iraq

Those pictures are really very... inspiring. I never really agreed with the Iraq war and knowing thats it going on for four years just makes me sad. Because our soldiers are over there, risking their lives every day. I understand that Sudaam Husein had to be taken care of, and its great, absolutely wonderful that we are helping those people establish something of a normal life. But... It just seems like every good thats done, ten evils are done. And it just seems so pointless. Its like looking at the bottom of a dry well and hoping that some day the rocks will leak pure water so you can drink. But the possibility of rocks tearing up and weeping is slim to none. I dunno... its just all so overwhelming.

Also, this makes me think of those bumper stickers and the political ads that say if you don't support the Iraq war that you don't support our troops. But that, to me, is a load of bull crappola. Because I do support our troops, I just don't want to support them in that particular setting. I'd rather support them here, where they're safe.

Discuss:
The Iraq war, ethics, do you agree, disagree, bumper stickers about "supporting our troops" and what they really mean to you.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:15 pm
Did you hear the report that says
"Of all women serving in the millitary in Iraq 70% have been raped or sexualy asulted... by our own troops."

Its true. In every war until now the male troops found local prosatutes. On the other hand in Iraq there is no such thing and the troops are all cooped up on the base together all the time.

WWII (French need I say more.)
Veitnam (We've all heard the stories)
Iraq's partners are not willing.

Sad and Terrible as this all my be; one woman admitted that though she was sexualy asulted she looks down on the girls that report it, because they are "Betraying the brother hood."

This war needs to stop. Its gone on long eoungh.
How many more need to suffer before someone grows balls and backs away.  

banryuu

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:29 pm
Thats so sick. I can't... Ugh... I suppose as long as its a "man's world" nothing will ever be fair for women. And other "minorities". Which is just terrible, really. And I hadn't heard that but I can totally believe it. Also, this is the first war where women have been allowed to go to the battle field. So... Mmm... *bites tongue*  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm
Women have been fighting in Russia since WWII. There were women in the gulf war some in korea not much... More women are actively searving now in america the ever before. That is true. I expexted a 30% rate of rape and harrasment 70% really shocked me.

I'm not really a women's activists or anything but rape is one of the worst crimes a person could ever comit right up there with murder.

This war is a waste of time, money, effort, and morality has gone down the drain. It truly brings out the worst in people.  

banryuu

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:52 pm
"...After all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

--Hermann Göring, Hitler's second-in-command, during the Nuremburg Trials

It always sums up my opinions of the Iraq War so eloquently.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:59 pm
I've heard that before... and you're totally right, it does sum up our situation very well. Sadly enough.

Banryuu: And I wasn't talking about Russia. This is the first "major" conflict that America has been in where women are playing a larger role than just the nursing staff.  

PickleBoy

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 pm

To say that I agree with this war would be a bull faced lie. In the beginning, I saw the good that we were doing for the people by removing their violent dictator. But now I feel that no one even knows why we're there anymore. I don't even know. People say that the Iraquis still need some help, and part of that reason is America being over there.

By America being there for so long, stress levels are high and patience levels are low; a mix that, of course, means only trouble.

America is also over there doing harm as well. I read in a paper about American soldiers raping and then killing a young Iraqui girl. That sickens me to the the most extreme levels. Rape is something I will not tolerate under any circumstances.

I guess the way I look at it is as such: What if Iraq was in the American posistion? How do you think we would feel having our homes searched, and nothing in our lives being private; having to see the evidence of war all around you, and go places not knowing if you will come home alive because of some terrorist with a bomb? I know I would hate it, and I know alot of Iraquis do, as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:25 pm
I totally agree. But I also see problems with pulling out. I think we've really gotten in over our heads. I don't think the government (and by that I mean our [sarcasm]esteemed[/sarcasm] president didn't think it all the way through) really knew what they were gonna do. Anger causes people to be rash. And pain (caused by loss) makes people angry. Thusly, its a big ugly cycle thats taken us to a very bad place. Pulling out is possibly gonna cause more problems. This isn't like the Vietnam war where when we pulled back, one dictator was changed for another and life went on. This is gonna be a huge civil war that may bring the whole middle east into the fray, its so tense over there already. Which makes me sad because I read all those old myths of the ancient civilizations that lived there and think 'what happened?'  

PickleBoy

Sutasie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:24 pm
The ironic thing is - it all began with Bin Laden, then suddenly Sadam was the problem. I think Sadam was merely used as a distraction from the fact that Bin Laden couldn't be found. One minute you hear not much at all about Sadam and his dictatorship and suddenly America must push their way in and interfeare.

I agree that Iraq is free of a terrible dictator now, but at least when the Iraqi people were under his rule, they knew what their lives entailed. Now there is so much confusion and hostility all over the country, the Iraqi people don't know what to do with their freedom.

In my opinion, you can't fight war with war, especially when there was no need to intervene in one that wasn't your own to begin with. If this war does finally end and something akin to peace prevails, there will be other groups that will begin to splinter, now that they are free from dictatorship, and start a new reign of terror.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:57 pm
I'm not gonna say a whole lot on this subject at this time, however I will say this:

Iraq has officially become another Vietnam and it's definitely going to end just like Vietnam. There really is no safe way out of this war. If we continue to fight, things are only going to get worse and more people are going to die in the fighting. If we pull out, violence will increase, more people will die, and the US will lose even more credibility  

Arios V

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:15 pm
Arios V
If we continue to fight, things are only going to get worse and more people are going to die in the fighting. If we pull out, violence will increase, more people will die, and the US will lose even more credibility

I agree. There's literally nothing we can do. We're, to use the cliche, stuck between a rock and a hard place.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games