Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Flaws of Religions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you anti-racism?
  TOTALLY
  yeah u can say that....
  neutral
  not really....
  NO!!!! People other than white should just DIE!!!!
  Shut up and give me money
View Results

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:18 pm
Hey people, in this thread, you are welcomed to post the things related to religions that you think totally doesn't make sense.

NO flaming please.... just opinions you think about any religions.

Here's mine:
1)Many theists insist that gods exist but nobody has ever seen one, or touched one, or have any samples of one.

But evolution is a theory based on things that actually have evidences backing up them. Things that actually exists.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:43 pm
Theory of Creation:

This doesn't make any sense and completely side steps all scientific evidence. According to the theory of creation according to Christianity (Christianity is the only religion I know the Theory of Creation from. I'm still researching the other religions)

Chronologically: According to the Bible, God created the entire Cosmos approx. 6,000 years ago. This in itself is completely impossible, as historical evidence shows that 1,000 years prior to the supposed date of creation, the Sumerian civilization had already invented Glue. Also, the Dinosaurs whose fossilized remains have been radiocarbon dated to more than 65 million years ago more than certainly put a massive hole in this Theory. Also, if you look at a history text book, it proves it even further that God couldn't have created the Universe 6,000 years ago as other civilizations were already forming and flourishing.

Evolution: Now suppose for a second God did create the first humans: Adam & Eve and only those two humans. Now we all know that Adam & Eve had two children: Cain & Able, both were male. Now if they are the parents of all humanity, that would mean that if they would mean in terms of simple biology mean that they all would have to had intercourse with either their mother or each other. That people is called incest, and according to the Bible, Incest is wrong. Not to mention, that would mean that everyone one would be inbred and have incredible genetic mutations  

Arios V

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:07 pm
The passage from the Bible stating that "man shall not lay with another man as he would a woman".

The truth is that Aramaic and Hebrew, the original languages of the Bible, are very different languages than English. The translation is dependent on subjective interpretation. It's all about what YOU want the Bible to say, if you want it to justify homophobia, then that's what it says for you.

Here's what the KJV says in Leviticus 18:22: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." First of all, weren't there only TEN Commandments, not the couple hundred extra God throws in there in Leviticus 18, and wasn't anything God said in the Old Testament pretty much nullified when Jesus said that all you had to do to win God's favor was accept him as your lord and savior? Second, couldn't this also be a warning about the potential "sin" of the ménage à trois? Also, God was speaking to the Hebrews through Moses, and I doubt that the whole nation of Canaan was all men. He had to be speaking to the women too, which makes this passage non-gender-specific. If you're a woman reading this passage, it suddenly doesn't apply. But since God was speaking to the Hebrews in general, it HAS to apply to both genders somehow. Therefore, God has to be talking about something else here.

Keep in mind that the passage in question was from the KJV. In the newer versions, such as the version known as The Message, it says outright, "Don't have sex with a man as one does with a woman. That is abhorrent." Again, it's important to note that this is a subjective translation. In truth, any Biblical scholar will tell you that Leviticus 18:22 is an incomplete passage, with numerous arbitrary translations for what is available.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm
Also, personally after looking at many passages from both Leviticus and Deuteronomy, I've noticed that both books have a tendency to be a little on the extreme side. I mean in one of the passages in Deuteronomy it says that a good Christian should kill everyone who is an atheist/heretic, commits adultery, works on Sunday, is a homosexual, and a whole list of imaginary crimes. They are listed in the following passages: (Deuteronomy 21:18-21), Exodus (21:15), Leviticus (20:9), Mark (7:9-13), and Matthew (15:4-7). Also, it says in several passages in Proverbs (13:24, 20:30, 23:13-14) that if a child misbehaves he should be beat with a rod and if the child dare speak back to the parents, the parents are authorized to kill that child.

What ever happened to "Thou shalt not kill?" Doesn't that kinda mean "Thou shalt not kill....period?"  

Arios V

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:59 pm
uh oh
im in trublz cuz i trimmd teh sides of mah beard lulz

darn u liviticis  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:10 am
How the ******** could the Bible get Pi wrong?!
If God knows everything that ever was and ever will be, it wouldn't have ******** up Pi!!!

hachimitsugirl

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:42 pm
Theory Of Creation:

I'm cleaning up what I said earlier

According to the Bible, God created humanity in it's current form roughly 10,000 years ago. Now if one were to look through a History book, one would see that Humans in nearly the same form as we are now had existed and were infact living in many civilizations that were flourishing many years before God supposedly created humanity. Also, the story of Adam & Eve doesn't quite add up. Ok, we all know that God created two humans: Adam & Eve, and that Adam & Eve only had two Children (My friend says they had more, but she won't name them, only proving my point further.) and both of them were males. Now according to the biological way in which humans reproduce, that would mean that Cain & Able would have had to have had intercourse with their mother (and if they produced females as offspring, they would have to do it with each other.) and last time I checked, that would be inbreeding/incest and according to the Bible, that's morally wrong. It would also mean that if this was true, we would look nothing like Adam & Eve as the gene pool would have been significantly altered and we all would be massive deformed.

(On what I am saying in the next paragraph, I'm not trying to be racist, if it sounds like I am, I'm sorry)
Also, Evolution can also explain why people have different skin colors and amounts of body hair as an adaptation to their environments. Darker skin colors have their origins in areas where there is a lot of sunlight and warmer temperatures all year round. Lighter hues come from colder areas and areas where sunlight isn't as prevalent all year round. Speaking of skin color, according to where the Bible puts Eden, it would mean that Adam & Eve would to have had more of an olive or tan colored skin than the lighter tan tones they have been depicted as having. I'll get into Eden itself in my next post.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games