Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Sam Harris vs. Andrew Sullivan debate

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you on the Sam Harris mailing list?
  Dur.
  Not yet.
  Nope! I hate being informed.
View Results

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:49 am
For anyone who isn't on the Sam Harris website mailing list, I very highly recommend it. You'll be notified of any television or radio appearances and there's a great media archive as well.

However, I just wanted to make sure everyone in this guild is aware of the ongoing debate between Harris and Andrew Sullivan on Beliefnet.com. It's a civil discussion and a good resource for tactful counter-arguments.

Plus, it's a riot the way Harris is mopping the floor with him.

It's a very very lengthy debate, having been going on for months with no real sign of stopping, though I suspect Sullivan will be forced to back out eventually due to sheer intellectual exhaustion.

www.beliefnet.com/story/209/story_20904_1.html  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:53 pm
I'll add myself right away. Sam Harris will surely win, he's smart and he knows what he's talking about, not to mention he has all the facts he needs to back himself up. Sullivan doesn't stand a chance  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Arios V
I'll add myself right away. Sam Harris will surely win, he's smart and he knows what he's talking about, not to mention he has all the facts he needs to back himself up. Sullivan doesn't stand a chance

I've been following it since it began and it's tremendously embarrassing for Sullivan.

Even more heartening than Harris's skill in the debate is his tact & decorum. He does well by us by showing that atheists aren't all a bunch of fumbly teenagers flailing against their parents. I'm surprised at how often atheism is equated with immaturity.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

I've been following it since it began and it's tremendously embarrassing for Sullivan.

Even more heartening than Harris's skill in the debate is his tact & decorum. He does well by us by showing that atheists aren't all a bunch of fumbly teenagers flailing against their parents. I'm surprised at how often atheism is equated with immaturity.

I'm pretty tired of it too.
My teacher told me it was just a stage in life that I'm suppose to go through.
I mean, come on, my English teacher is telling me that my beliefs are the stages of a puberty gone wrong and when it's over I'll be a born-again evanglical.

cup_noodles

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:07 am
If you wanna get in trouble, ask them what you can do to prevent yourself from falling ill with whatever it was that made them a Christian. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:58 am
cup_noodles
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

I mean, come on, my English teacher is telling me that my beliefs are the stages of a puberty gone wrong and when it's over I'll be a born-again evanglical.

Gracious goodness! If my teacher said that to me, I'd have laid her a** OUT. No joke!  

hachimitsugirl

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:11 pm
hachimitsugirl
cup_noodles
hachimitsugirl
Arios V

Gracious goodness! If my teacher said that to me, I'd have laid her a** OUT. No joke!

Teacher said that too me, I would have said: ******** YOU! and left, never to return to that class.

@Theo:

Nice one, I think I'll use that one instead  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:42 pm
I'm a big fan of his work thus far: In his books he hits where it hurts and gets to the core of the problems related to religions, yet he also remains very civil in debates so he can't easily be accused of bigotry (although I've yet to see ONE opponent that doesn't try).  

Harvested Sorrow

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff