Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheism and Communism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Belthasar727

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:21 pm
I'm a new guy here, by the way. ninja

Anyway, I am only mildly aware of there being a percieved relationship with communism and nontheism.

I know the church was persecuted and believers oppressed in the Soviet Union, and that Karl Marx rarely spoke of religion, but when he did it wasn't exactly in a positive light, apparently he thought of religion as a symptom of society's problems or something to that effect. I don't know if it's a "requirement" to be an atheist to be a communist (never asked one, an easy thing to do on Gaia).

So, there seems to have been an association between atheism and communism in the west. Maybe this was only true in the past, because I personally never have been accused of being a communist due to my lacking belief in god(s). Has anyone else? Maybe someone could shed more light on this topic?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:35 pm
Go read Children of the Storm by Natasha Vins.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:08 pm
I remember in history class, my teacher compared godlessness with comunism. But that was when I was in a Christian school. Since public education entered my life, I haven't really ever heard anyone compare Atheism with comunism.

The one thing I don't understand is, I though comunism, aside from being about all things be equal and equally distributed, was pro-homogony (spelling?), so I don't know why they would be anti-religion since religion would help unite and homogonize their country. Anybody care to explain that to me?
question  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:27 pm
Much like atheism, communism is also given a bad label. It got that label because the U.S. "fought" it for half a century, during the cold war, and even Vietnam was a result of communism. The reason is because in a communist government, it's too easy for the government to take everything, and it moves towards fascism, which is, in fact, a bad thing. Communism looks good on paper, but when applied to reality, it just doesn't work.  

ProjectOmicron88

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:32 am
I'm frequently accused of being a communist. But that has more to do with the fact that I am a communist than my atheism.

Communism and Atheism don't necessarily go hand in hand, but some ex-presidents and those like him lump them both into that "un-american" category.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games