Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
catholic priest = predator/child molestor?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

(optional question) Have you ever been molested/sexually abused?
  Yes.
  No.
  Nearly.
  Gold.
View Results

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:30 pm
I was watching the show 20/20 from ABC news and this was one of the topics, i thought it was just a perfect thing to post here:

Churches are built for people to pray, a place to be calm and safe, but is it really that safe? A Southern Baptist named Ken Ward in East Texas admitted to molesting more than 40 boys. One of his victims, Tommy Lee Burt, came forward as an adult. In the show, Burt refused to reveal his appearance. Under the dark shade, he said, (the italics are quoted, others are words regrouped from the remains of my memories) "He (Ken Ward) destroyed my life. I hate him, I hate God, I hate everyone, I hate myself, I tried to commit suicide, I didn't want to live anymore." Burt said he never really recovered.

For more information, please visit: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3034040&page=3
or watch the video: http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3032132

Heh. So much for trusting in God, huh? The place that is supposed to protect the children ended up hurting them. Catholic priests are such liars. Just look at how Burt says he hates god now. These people are shameless, using children's innocence to hurt them.

And people, the poll is completely optional, don't get all worked up by it. Don't vote if you don't feel comfortable.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:27 am
You know, I have theory about this.

My knowledge of Catholicism is slightly limited, but from accounts of the people I know that are, I think I have a fair impression. To me Catholocism is very guilt oriented. People are expected to "confess" their sins, and beg for forgiveness. This is why people who are gay and are Catholic become victims.

I'm not saying all catholic gay men or just gay men will mess with children, the odds are no different than they are for hederosexuals. But hederos aren't filled with guilt over what they are, and aren't pressured into suppressing their sexuality. I think these poor men seek a deeper sense of spirituality in hopes of escaping what they are taught to be demons that make them gay. They study more and eventualy, in hopes of rising above what they feel is a weekness, they become priests. Now couple all this suppression with a loose sense of reality, which is caused by theism, and soon the concepts of good and evil become blurry. Eventually they release these "demons" on the children and use their rank and spiritual standing as a cloak for what they do. I'm sure in some cases, the priests were ***** since birth, and decided to use Catholocism as a means to acquire vicims. In the end, everyone is a victim: the supressed men, the molested children, and poor people who put their faith is fiction.

Sad, huh?
sad  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 am
Guilt over nothing: another fine contribution from the religious world.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:12 am
Dathu

My knowledge of Catholicism is slightly limited, but from accounts of the people I know that are, I think I have a fair impression. To me Catholocism is very guilt oriented. People are expected to "confess" their sins, and beg for forgiveness. This is why people who are gay and are Catholic become victims.

I'm not saying all catholic gay men or just gay men will mess with children, the odds are no different than they are for hederosexuals. But hederos aren't filled with guilt over what they are, and aren't pressured into suppressing their sexuality. I think these poor men seek a deeper sense of spirituality in hopes of escaping what they are taught to be demons that make them gay. They study more and eventualy, in hopes of rising above what they feel is a weekness, they become priests. Now couple all this suppression with a loose sense of reality, which is caused by theism, and soon the concepts of good and evil become blurry. Eventually they release these "demons" on the children and use their rank and spiritual standing as a cloak for what they do. I'm sure in some cases, the priests were ***** since birth, and decided to use Catholocism as a means to acquire vicims. In the end, everyone is a victim: the supressed men, the molested children, and poor people who put their faith is fiction.

Sad, huh?
sad

I agree.  

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:01 pm
That's horrible.
I can't say I'm the Catholic expert but, they seem to do everything they can from their followers from having sex.
Even within marrige.
Kids are given cards that pledge to God that they won't hold hands.....
Crazy people they are.
]:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:01 pm
Catholic Priests are not allowed to marry, are they?

I don't think that thier religion has anything to do with why they might prey on children. With power comes great responsibility. Unfortunately, there are those who seek to abuse power especially when it comes to holding rank or power over an individual or groups of individuals.

I don't think that those priests that you hear of molesting children became that way or did those things because of supression or anything to do with thier religion. They are just sick people, and...you find sick people everywhere.

Sanguvixen

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:30 pm
Dathu

Sad, huh?
sad

It is sad.

However, I do find it funny that Catholics do preach this message that people really shouldn't be having sex (Especially priests) and yet they turn around and tell people to have as many children as they possibly can. Well at least that's what I've seen and been told. Hey, I'm not expert in Catholicism  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:56 pm
Sanguvixen
Catholic Priests are not allowed to marry, are they?

Righto, they take a vow of celibacy. Never mind that for hundreds of years nunneries were headed by males. Hmm...

Sanguvixen
I don't think that thier religion has anything to do with why they might prey on children. With power comes great responsibility. Unfortunately, there are those who seek to abuse power especially when it comes to holding rank or power over an individual or groups of individuals.

I don't think that those priests that you hear of molesting children became that way or did those things because of supression or anything to do with thier religion. They are just sick people, and...you find sick people everywhere.

Sickness comes from somewhere. Short of the almost extremely rare cases of people whose congenital or birth defects cause them to be violent, I'm fairly sure it's understood that the way one is treated as they grow up is a direct factor on their social behavior, including sexual activities.

What you say about responsibility is true, and I'm sure there've been more than a few men who became priests for the sake of molestation (just like gym coaches, school teachers, Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts leaders, knights, mercenary camp trainers, etc.). However, I think that assuming "people are just sick," as a default state is a cop out answer. I don't think someone is sick until they've made a conscious decision to defy the social laws that protect the safety and freedom of others.  

Theophrastus

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:33 pm
Sanguvixen

Their religion might not be related to the reason they are molestors, but their behavior contradicts their religion. you see, catholicism is strictly against stealing, killing or adultery(ever heard of the 10 commandments? according to the bible, it's 10 laws written by god himself, visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments to see the details). but these baptists are catholics and yet, they do what's violating the 10 commandments. this is how religion relates to them and the reason this post is made(to point out their contradiction). maybe you just don't know catholicism well enough. i know their stuff 'cause i went to catholic elementary school, for six years!(btw i hated it, glad that i moved).

You are right about the abuse of power tho, there are ppl who just became a baptist to get close to children and molest them. it's sad.

btw about the suppression, that's the article, not me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:12 am
Erm...

Just pointing this out, the discussion is on Catholic leaders, but the event mentioned involves a man who's actually Baptist.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:35 am
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
[...] but these baptists are catholics [...].

Yeah, I'm not sure what you meant by this, exactly.

As for TSW's comment, I guess it all bleeds together, really.

Men using religious authority and hiding behind a veil of piety or trustworthiness to get away with devilish things.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games