Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
What Qualifies Someone as "A Designer"?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

At what point does a person become "a designer"?
When they own a copy of Photoshop
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
When someone pays them for making a design
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
When they have a good understanding of design concepts
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
When they have a degree in design or a related field
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Other... please comment!
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:55 pm
Strangely enough, a discussion pertaining to design cropped up in the Random Chat Thread, and I thought it would be a good idea to move it here so everyone could see it and participate. biggrin

I apologize for any awkward phrasing in the poll... I just can't think today. smile

Here is the discussion so far.

ningyou-kun says:
Quote:

everyone with a stolen copy of photoshop nowadays is apparently a designer. icon_confused.gif

Koiyuki says:
Quote:
Psh. I think you can only call yourself a designer, when people start payin', for your stuff, and your time.

ningyou-kun says:
Quote:
I disagree. People don't know much about design at all, and they will hire people who don't know a clue about design, like how a logo is supposed to actually work at small sizes with legible text, and it should be a vector and reduce simply to black and white so it can be faxed and photocopied.
Or, even worse, they'll hire a chop-shop online and buy a stolen logo.
Are those people designers? they have people paying for it, but the work is ugly and it doesn't actually work in application.
clients are usually kind of clueless.

Koiyuki says:
Quote:
Many people are out there passing themselves off as designers, and preying on the naivety of their clients. I must ask, though. In your eyes, when is it justified to call a designer, a designer?

ningyou-kun says:
Quote:
Well, on the rawest level everyone is a designer as everyone makes things.
A professional would understand the technical standards including press and preproduction, the artistic and compositional issues of design, the industry standard tools, and issues unique to their craft, such as typography. Knowing these alone, you could probably be a good desktop publisher or diploma/certificate student, which is suitable, but ends up being a bit of a limiting understanding of design. Professional yes, but missing part of the picture.
I feel that a large part of a professional designer should understand the abstract scope of their own cultural power.
Professional design is also a methodology involving the manufacturing of culture, and a designer would know how to conduct research to express the visual paradigms and semiotical rhetoric required by their client, as well as making a functional piece of work.

I've worked with people who got design certificates 20 or 30 years ago, and they're now working in the field. (and have been for that time prior.) however, they lack that background of theory, and although they make OK things, when it comes to pushing and innovating and the cultural part, they often just do what the client says and leave it at that.
The biggest and best design firms, like Pentagram and Ideo use design methodology and research to innovate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:25 pm
I think that anyone who designs things and calls themself a designer is, in fact a designer.

It is their understanding of it, and their creativity, that shows whether or not they're worth beans.

Myself, I most of my own banners and such (admittedly sometimes using stuff that's not mine, but I try to do that less and less), and sometimes do stuff for other people on Gaia. I've also got a deviantART account, though most of what I have there is stuff that I made through expirimentation. I'm fairly clueless about all the technical stuff, I mostly know that if I tweak this with this thing and that with that thing, it will come out looking something a bit like _____. There's also times I look at images and posters and whatnot and try to figure out how a certain effect was achieved.

Do I really consider myself a designer? Nah. But because it's something I enjoy and wish to learn more about, I will sometimes say I am just for the sake of making catagorization easier.

*shrugs* Gotta love opinions.  

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas