Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Fate, Free Will, or Inevitability? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Fate: We are born with a purpose.
  Inevitability: We are on an unchangale track.
  Free Will: we make our our own destiny.
  CHAOS!: BG*&*&%R*F8gg8o7r85FR*^o
View Results

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:59 pm
I believe that destiny and chaos conflict each other in their control over us, so therefore we have a path set in stone, but you are able to wander away from it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:55 am
"Life is the result of the non random replication of randomly
varying replicators." ~ Richard Dawkins  

Theophrastus

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:42 am
Theophrastus
"Life is the result of the non random replication of randomly
varying replicators." ~ Richard Dawkins

That's an interesting way to put it. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:57 pm
It's easy to believe in fate when we have such things as the confirmation bias. For instance, when you're thinking of someone and they suddenly show up at your house, it's natural to think, however seriously, that fate brought the person there. Of course, there's no evidence to support the role of "fate" in that encounter, and there were most likely many other instances in which you were thinking about the person and they didn't show up.

Fate implies that there is a force that guides us all to a certain goal. Of course, since we don't know what the goal is, it would be useless to claim that fate played a part in it when we do reach it.

Of course, as BuncyTheFrog said, some things are, in a sense, "fated" to happen. The world will make a complete revolution around the sun this year, we will have to empty our garbage cans, and Creationists will continue to get dumber and dumber. Some of these are scientific axioms, while others are social constructs, which are only "true" so long as society accepts them as truth.

Now, there are factors that affect our behavior (such as chemical properties in the brain, personal opinions and tastes, etc.), but that shouldn't suggest that we don't have the freedom to make decisions. We have the ability to choose anything we would like. But we are only free within certain boundaries. Keep in mind that free will does not imply the ability to do, but instead the ability to decide. For instance, the mere fact that we can't jump from the Sears Tower and fly into the horizon doesn't mean we don't have free will.

Although, like I said, there are several factors affecting our choices, they do not dominate our ability to make decisions for ourselves. There is, however, a kind of false inevitability at work. What will happen will happen, fate or not. That's my basic theory on fate and free will.

Hope I made a little sense... if I seemed a little incoherent, it's because I'm a little tired.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm
Ok this is my very weird thoery. I believe that we create or on fate in life but no mater what are fate is already choosen.

Explianation: I'm not saying no mater what you do you fate will be the same. What I am saying is that your fate is created upon what you do in live. But since time is a striaght line thoose actions you will choose will no matter what be the same. the only way for fate to be diffrent is to be in another time line or something to screw up the time line.
It also applies to the people that effect your live big and small affects. It is because they choose to do something that put them there but they were going to choose it anyway.

Basicaly I'm saying that we are free to choose are fate but we are slaves to the time line.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 am
I believe in free will stare  

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:13 am
I believe in free thought. <3

One cannot have free will unless one is omnipotent and omniscient.

No matter HOW hard I try.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:11 pm
Hehe, true...

Okay...

I believe in free thought stare  

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

Elanchana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:26 am
But how quickly we forget
Such a sure and perfect plan,
And unlearn the passions that once had burned.

I guess I'd say it's a mix between free will and inevitability. You can change some things in your own life, but some things are just due to chance and there's no changing that. That's not a god working, that's just reality.

But how could I have seen?
What was I to do?
How could I know I would find you?
-Erik, The Phantom of the Opera, Tom Alonso

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items