Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Quenya Dilemma

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tirno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:33 pm
In Quenya, an adjective must agree with its noun in number (ex. alta cirya "great ship" becomes alte ciryar "great ships"), but what about the dual number? How would alta change to agree with dual ciryat? Do are plural adjectives cover dual nouns (alte ciryat)? Is there something I overlooked? Maybe this is something yet to be published or something that Tolkien never gave thought to (though it seems to me a critical issue that Tolkien wouldn't address).  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:32 am
Never mind. helge Fauskanger says, "We have no examples of what happens if an adjective is to agree with a noun in the dual form. It is generally assumed, though, that there are no special dual forms of adjectives, but only one plural (or should we say "non-singular") form." w00t for answering your own questions...  

Tirno

Rhaella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:31 pm
HAH.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in Quenya. Wait until you get to the mysterious tense that nobody quite knows how to use. xd

I didn't know that someone else here was seriously studying it. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:38 pm
Lindelea
HAH.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in Quenya. Wait until you get to the mysterious tense that nobody quite knows how to use. xd

Haha, yeah, I love studying Quenya. But what tense would you be refering to?  

Tirno

Rhaella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:38 pm
Tirno
Lindelea
HAH.

Ah, sorry. Not "tense" as much as "case".

It's called the respective case. It's apparently similar to the locative case, but not quite the same, and there are so few examples of it in Tolkien's writings, so it's about impossible to figure out completely.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:57 pm
Lindelea
Tirno
Lindelea
HAH.

Ah, sorry. Not "tense" as much as "case".

It's called the respective case. It's apparently similar to the locative case, but not quite the same, and there are so few examples of it in Tolkien's writings, so it's about impossible to figure out completely.

Ah, that's what I thought. So did you study Quenya at Ardalambion or by other means?  

Tirno

Rhaella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:52 pm
Desolee, je suis revenue! sweatdrop I was in Quebec last week, so sorry about the slow reply. And the random French.

A avatyara nillo, utulienye! That's better.

Yes, I used Ardalambion. Now I've started a half-hearted attempt at the Council of Elrond, but there's really no point. Ardalambion's the best I've seen.

Hm. Utulie isn't quite right there. Do you remember how you'd do the perfect tense for something like "entul-"? confused My lessons are on my other computer. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:27 pm
Lindelea
Desolee, je suis revenue! sweatdrop I was in Quebec last week, so sorry about the slow reply. And the random French.

A avatyara nillo, utulienye! That's better.

Yes, I used Ardalambion. Now I've started a half-hearted attempt at the Council of Elrond, but there's really no point. Ardalambion's the best I've seen.

Hm. Utulie isn't quite right there. Do you remember how you'd do the perfect tense for something like "entul-"? confused My lessons are on my other computer. sweatdrop

Wow, I've been gone too long. Perfect tense? I would say entulie; I'm don't think the stem vowel would be augmented in this case.  

Tirno

Asche Fionn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:20 pm
Are the two of you studying Sidarian and Quenya? Or just Quenya? I am studying both...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:57 am
Wow, that's so cool, I wish I had more time to study on of the elven languages....maybe after exams...  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:33 pm
I don't know any Elven ><  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:09 am
That's why you have the internet and all the information is possess at the tips of your fingers.  

Rudhe
Captain

Mittalmar - Original Archives

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces