Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I need someone to sum up why god does not exsist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[x] Natasha [x]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:03 am
[x] Natasha [x]
Well as I'm currently revising for my religious exam I'm not the best person to ask. sweatdrop

Correction: I did my 2 hour religious exam yesterday. gonk  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:07 pm
You can't disprove god, only established images of a God.  

Tenth Speed Writer

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:49 pm
Cirosan
God is not real because of the tragedies that take place every second of every day. To see children born into the world with crippling diseases, doomed to live their few short years of life in misery, the psychopaths who kill the innocent, the hopeful have their dreams destroyed and the bigots have everything they ever wanted, those in their darkest hour who need a ray of hope and prosperity to pull them short of the abyss get none, and the good die young while the evil live forever is my proof that there is no sort of loving god. A malevolent one, perhaps, but none of the benevolent kind.
It could just be a deist god, he made the world, left it alone and rented a condo in florida for the rest of eternity rofl  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 pm
The Candy Store Massacre
Cirosan
God is not real because of the tragedies that take place every second of every day. To see children born into the world with crippling diseases, doomed to live their few short years of life in misery, the psychopaths who kill the innocent, the hopeful have their dreams destroyed and the bigots have everything they ever wanted, those in their darkest hour who need a ray of hope and prosperity to pull them short of the abyss get none, and the good die young while the evil live forever is my proof that there is no sort of loving god. A malevolent one, perhaps, but none of the benevolent kind.
It could just be a deist god, he made the world, left it alone and rented a condo in florida for the rest of eternity rofl

Eh, you'd think God would live away from the coast. You know, to avoid those fantastic tsunamis and hurricanes he plays with every once in a while. Actually, I've heard rumors that God lives in England and teaches Shakespeare to toddlers.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 am
I heard he's a fat black lesbian woman who loves pizza.

I'd prefer to worship that than the standard. XD  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:58 am
Death God Hitsugaya
I recommend the book "The God Delusion" By Richard Dawkins.
Quote:
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

More importantly;
Quote:
Things in the world, especially living things, look as though they have been designed. Nothing that we know looks designed unless it is designed. Therefore there must have been a designer, and we call him God.*
* I cannot help being reminded of the immortal syllogism that was smuggled into a Euclidean proof by a schoolfriend, when we were studying geometry together: "Triangle ABC looks isosceles. Therefore..."

Please, read The God Delusion. I have not read it fully myself, but it is very, very good at fortifying atheism.

Also, omniscience and omnipotence don't really go together. To paraphrase (somewhat) Dawkins once more, if he was omniscient, he would be able to know what he will do in the future, and be able to prevent things such as the "Apple event" (Hitsugaya's name for it.) and the whole "Satan" thing.

I totally agree! This book to me is the religious text of atheism, before reading this book, i was kinda agnostic, afterwards i was a full blown atheist! Personally i think this book should be studied in all schools, cos' people's views on religion would change radically afterwards!!

About why God doesn't exist, i like to use the idea of a benevolent God + suffering, also the fact that order is not apparent in the world, and the fact that God created humans (ie they didn't evolve) so why do we have totally useless organs like the appendix!

hopefully those are good for you

EDIT : Another one my cousin mentioned, with Noah's Ark and the Great Flood, why did all the animals die (except for the pairs/sevens on the ark), when most of them can swim, and would be having an absolute party in the water!!  

Myrphomatic

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:31 pm
GBA Mule
I need to re-confirm my atheist in me, Please sum up why god is not real

personal deities are all too human to be factual. such an omnipotent and omnipresent being would be outside the realm of human understanding. the gods of mythology were created from mankinds perspective. but to give it such characteristics as jealousy, love, mercy, etc is to limit that which should be limitless. that is why I say they are not true.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:05 pm
Theophrastus
I heard he's a fat black lesbian woman who loves pizza.

I'd prefer to worship that than the standard. XD

Lol. I love it when you do that.

Dark_lord_15

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out